3 Quick Questions | The Boneyard

3 Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. May schools not in a P5 Conference award the extra benefits that the schools in a P5 conference provide student athletes?

2. If yes, then do you believe that all of the schools in the AAC will make the added benefits available to their athletes?

3. If non P5 schools can award the added benefits then which other conferences in addition to the AAC will provide those additional benefits (i.e. A10, BigEast, Mountain West)?

Thanks.

Reaction Score
The answer to one is yes if the conference as a whole chooses to offer.
So two is a moot point
Three is: at least two or three for football, but some schools might decide to leave..
Which would make meager more likely
and a I expect a few basketball,onlies,like the NBE, ,but we are only talking 14 scholarships vs 85. Even with that I suspect some conferences will opt out of D1

Reaction Score
1. May schools not in a P5 Conference award the extra benefits that the schools in a P5 conference provide student athletes?

2. If yes, then do you believe that all of the schools in the AAC will make the added benefits available to their athletes?

3. If non P5 schools can award the added benefits then which other conferences in addition to the AAC will provide those additional benefits (i.e. A10, BigEast, Mountain West)?

Thanks.

It's going to be a conference decision, not an individual school decision. If UConn were to say they are going to match the P5 benefits but the AAC decides they don't want to then UConn is screwed.

Aresco has said all along that the AAC will participate so my guess is that all the member schools will pay the added costs. The question becomes how long can all of the AAC schools afford to do this given the huge difference in revenue and the P5 will keep adding benefits until they price the G5 out of the market.

I think conferences like the Big East will participate. They are making more money than the AAC schools and because they don't have 85 football scholarship athletes to pay they won't have to match 85 women's athletes to comply with Title IX

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
According to an article I linked in the O'Bannon thread, all Division 1 schools must offer full cost of attendance (if the decision stands).

Otherwise, any Division 1 school is free to offer the same benefits, I don't believe individual conferences have announced how that would play out across their memberships. I believe the AAC schools will be convinced to attempt this for at least a 4 year period, to see if it helps things shake out and offers the AAC some separation from the remainder of the football playing schools not in the P5. Other conferences are really carrying some bottom feeders regarding revenue and budget, and will be challenged to try to do the same.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Thanks.

1. Yes
2. Probably not. I may be wrong, but I don't see how some schools in the AAC will be able to increase their athletic budget. There's no question that UCONN has the means and motivation to adopt them. But we're all hoping that either the AAC is unanimous in support of adopting OR G5 conferences take a school-by-school approach.
3. I don't see any G5 conference being able to provide these additional benefits. Again, I think there are certain schools from each conference that could afford it. Ultimately, I think that the "best of the rest" G5 schools will have to band together at some point to try to form a "P6". UCONN, Cincinnati, UCF, BYU, Houston, USF, Boise, SDSU, etc.

Reaction Score
1. Yes
2. Probably not. I may be wrong, but I don't see how some schools in the AAC will be able to increase their athletic budget. There's no question that UCONN has the means and motivation to adopt them. But we're all hoping that either the AAC is unanimous in support of adopting OR G5 conferences take a school-by-school approach.
3. I don't see any G5 conference being able to provide these additional benefits. Again, I think there are certain schools from each conference that could afford it. Ultimately, I think that the "best of the rest" G5 schools will have to band together at some point to try to form a "P6". UCONN, Cincinnati, UCF, BYU, Houston, USF, Boise, SDSU, etc.

I can't believe that any G5 conference will allow some schools to participate if all the schools in the conference are not on board. How would the AAC let UConn, Cinci, Houston, SMU, UCF & USF give the benefits to athletes if Temple, Tulsa, etc won't?

Either the conference is in or out as a whole. Aresco has said all along that the AAC will be in. As I said in my earlier post, the question is how long can everyone afford to keep it up?

I do agree that if the status quo stays in place for longer than a couple years the bigger budget schools in the G5 will need to form their own conference to try & at least stay within shouting distance of the P5

Reaction Score
The additional expenses will like have greatest strain on the University of Tulsa with an enrollment of just 4300+/- students but then again it has a $800M endowment to ease the pain.

Reaction Score
I can't believe that any G5 conference will allow some schools to participate if all the schools in the conference are not on board. How would the AAC let UConn, Cinci, Houston, SMU, UCF & USF give the benefits to athletes if Temple, Tulsa, etc won't?

Either the conference is in or out as a whole. Aresco has said all along that the AAC will be in. As I said in my earlier post, the question is how long can everyone afford to keep it up?

I do agree that if the status quo stays in place for longer than a couple years the bigger budget schools in the G5 will need to form their own conference to try & at least stay within shouting distance of the P5
Aresco is on record saying they are all in on full cost of attendance. As for additional benefits, he said they are probably going to do that on a school by school basis. It is not difficult to see why. In the AAC reside two true blue blood basketball programs. How can they continue to compete if they can't offer recruits the same benefits that Rutgers does? We didn't just drop 35 million on a basketball practice facility to play at the same level as Quinipiac and Central Connecticut.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Aresco is on record saying they are all in on full cost of attendance. As for additional benefits, he said they are probably going to do that on a school by school basis. It is not difficult to see why. In the AAC reside two true blue blood basketball programs. How can they continue to compete if they can't offer recruits the same benefits that Rutgers does? We didn't just drop 35 million on a basketball practice facility to play at the same level as Quinipiac and Central Connecticut.

I'm just curious: who is the 2nd blue blood hoops program in the AAC?

How long before the best of the G5 band together? Over/under: 2 years?

Reaction Score

We'll start out matching every dime that the P-5 boys give out. The bigger problem will come as we burn through our exit fee share and have no media money to speak of to replace it. The payout gap will catch up to even UConn soon (let alone the schedule we have to play). Sorry - just the truth.

Reaction Score
We'll start out matching every dime that the P-5 boys give out. The bigger problem will come as we burn through our exit fee share and have no media money to speak of to replace it. The payout gap will catch up to even UConn soon (let alone the ty schedule we have to play). Sorry - just the truth.
No need to be sorry. We're trying to buy time hoping for a way out or for the AAC TV dollars to increase significantly (not likely). Now, imagine if we weren't able to compete for bball recruits against the likes of Rutgers and BC because the rules prohibit you? IF it ever gets to that, shut the whole damn thing down.

Dooley

Reaction Score
UConn men's women's programs.

I like that answer. I thought were trying to make a far fetched argument for Cinci or Memphis.

Reaction Score
Cincy does have 2 NC in BB but they were in the '60's. Do you feel that schools that don't want to pay in the AAC might drop to C-USA and some schools in C-USA who want to pay will move up? I could see MWC schools moving to AAC if some of their schools didn't want to pay the extra costs,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom