29-5 defines what a "Commitment To UConn" really means. | The Boneyard

29-5 defines what a "Commitment To UConn" really means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/ctnj.php/archives/entry/senate_approves_bonding_for_uconn/

$1.5B for UConn passed by the State Senate. (Now goes to the House).That's an overwhelming vote considering the state's fiscal status. As you read the article note how much of an impact Susan Herbst has had on these legislators. Her move to bring Gov. Malloy on board as an early and vocal supporter was brilliant. She's the real "rock star" in Storrs.
Here's the bottom line. Some on this board love to quibble (or rant) about her leadership, but there's no one I'd rather have steering our ship. We are in excellent hands as we bide our time in AAC, growing all aspects of the University's academic stature, facilities and endowment--and steadily march toward AAU status. She's moved boldly on rebranding (and she was right--I've come to love the new look) and while our current conference setup is disquieting--somehow, even with the current slowdown of CR-- it all seems like a temporary stop on a well planned trip. My glass is very much half full.

Reaction Score
She knows what she's doing and she's probably doing it with some input from some bright minds in the midwest. I hate this process as much as anyone but I stand by my stance that this will all turn out very well for us.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think the future is very bright for UConn. No one like where we are at conference-wise and our athletic concerns are valid. However, I think the uyniversity is in good hands. Sometimes good things do come to those who wait.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/ctnj.php/archives/entry/senate_approves_bonding_for_uconn/

$1.5B for UConn passed by the State Senate. (Now goes to the House).That's an overwhelming vote considering the state's fiscal status. As you read the article note how much of an impact Susan Herbst has had on these legislators. Her move to bring Gov. Malloy on board as an early and vocal supporter was brilliant. She's the real "rock star" in Storrs.
Here's the bottom line. Some on this board love to quibble (or rant) about her leadership, but there's no one I'd rather have steering our ship. We are in excellent hands as we bide our time in AAC, growing all aspects of the University's academic stature, facilities and endowment--and steadily march toward AAU status. She's moved boldly on rebranding (and she was right--I've come to love the new look) and while our current conference setup is disquieting--somehow, even with the current slowdown of CR-- it all seems like a temporary stop on a well planned trip. My glass is very much half full.

Well said, Nostical. I am always baffled when I read or hear UConn fans voicing displeasure towards President Herbst. What she has done, and gotten started, in her brief time here is absolutely remarkable. The USS Connecticut was firmly anchored in the Sea of Complacency for FAR too long during good economic times. What she has done in down economies is astonishing.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
When is the House vote, and will it pass there as well?...

Reaction Score
I absolutely love what Herbst is doing. As much as conference realignment and the state of uconn athletics kills me - in the end, as a UConn graduate, I would be far more proud to know that UConn is an AAU school or considered a top academic institution than knowing we are in a good sports conference. Seeing uconn consistently get better and better rankings in academic ratings is for more brag-worthy than saying we are playing Michigan in football.

Reaction Score

And ...

I am fully supportive of Nostical beating this drum. Herbst is an outstanding leader at this moment. We have HUGE challenges to keep up. I feel solidly supportive of Herbst. And, I have come to really be confident in Warde Manual. Jeff Hathaway killed us in a decade - frankly. The contrast to Tom Jurich is stark. We WON Big during Hathaway's period. We drew well. And, we slipped. Pasqualoni is a BIG issue. But, I feel Herbst has her eyes focused. We can chin our way up to a status ... and that will include our State University as one of the finest in the US. The Finest already in New England - an important part of the country. Better than New York State's 4. And damn better than Rutgers and their sh8tstorm.

Reaction Score
I absolutely love what Herbst is doing. As much as conference realignment and the state of uconn athletics kills me - in the end, as a UConn graduate, I would be far more proud to know that UConn is an AAU school or considered a top academic institution than knowing we are in a good sports conference. Seeing uconn consistently get better and better rankings in academic ratings is far more brag-worthy than saying we are playing Michigan in football.

This is the key point...All of these things combined with our media market and sports success WILL lead to a major conference. She is doing this differently than UL did it. She is building from the ground up rather than from the AD up. It is a better approach for UConn because we are so close to excellence as an instutution. UL is much further away from the top academically so fueling their university with athletics makes more sense. I know she is doing the right thing it just sucks as of today for sports fans. We'll get there and it will be sweet at the top.

Reaction Score
My advice to UCONN fans, forget about conference realignment short term. Go to games and support UCONN. Herbst appears to be elevating UCONN on many fronts, but CR, at the moment is out of her control. As fans, the best we could do is give what we can, attend games, and spread the gospel of UCONN football/sports.

Reaction Score
My advice to UCONN fans, forget about conference realignment short term. Go to games and support UCONN. Herbst appears to be elevating UCONN on many fronts, but CR, at the moment is out of her control. As fans, the best we could do is give what we can, attend games, and spread the gospel of UCONN football/sports.

Perfectly stated.

Its idealistic our attendance and support will go up, but if SH continues to show committment to the University we will win the support of folks with who love the University, and if WM continues to put together fantastic home schedules attendance should be back to or greater than the RE years.

It is on us now, these two are doing their best IMO.

Reaction Score

Amen.

Reaction Score
Seriously, UConn should set up buckets at each venue of each home game. Label the buckets as "Endowment" and we'll fill those buckets with fivers, tenners and twentys.
I've always felt they should encourage donations via texts using the jumbotron.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I absolutely love what Herbst is doing. As much as conference realignment and the state of uconn athletics kills me - in the end, as a UConn graduate, I would be far more proud to know that UConn is an AAU school or considered a top academic institution than knowing we are in a good sports conference. Seeing uconn consistently get better and better rankings in academic ratings is for more brag-worthy than saying we are playing Michigan in football.

Spot on!!!!

Let's support our Uconn teams. CR is not over and we will eventually land in a good conference.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'll be honest, I'd rather be in a better football conference than going up slowly but surely I'm academic rankings. I'm proud UConn is doing great academically, but I've been out since 2009 and had three different positions and while UConn is a well known respected degree, anything i do going forward is based on my own credentials.

I'd rather be playing Michigan in football or duke in basketball.

I think if people on here were honest, they would say the same thing.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think the endowment issue needs to be made more aware to UConn fans. If it wasn't for the BY I'd have no idea how big of a discrepancy UConn has vs other universities we feel are our equals. Many fans see athletics and wins as the way to move out of the AAC but our lack of endowment funds is a hinderance as well. I know this is a big focus for Susan but I feel it's not a major topic discussed more frequently to UConn fans who are aldo alumni.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think the endowment issue needs to be made more aware to UConn fans. If it wasn't for the BY I'd have no idea how big of a discrepancy UConn has vs other universities we feel are our equals. Many fans see athletics and wins as the way to move out of the AAC but our lack of endowment funds is a hinderance as well. I know this is a big focus for Susan but I feel it's not a major topic discussed more frequently to UConn fans who are aldo alumni.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

It's fighting the entitlement culture that's got to take slow, steady, and dedicated effort. Giving back to your university, in the form of donations that go to things like an endowment, does not get you instant gratification. It's not donating to the UCONN athletic development fund, or making a seat donation, (all funds of which are managed by the UCONN foundation, if I'm not mistaken, in addition to everything else they do with endowment funds and stuff like that....

but you don't get tangible rewards for donating like this. It's much more of a "thank you" and "here's what I can do, to help for the future." kind of thing, and that is cultural, and it can change, but it's slow change, and requires dedicated effort.

The "not a dime back" culture, needs to become the "here's my spare times" culture.

What is good, for the goals that ahve been set:

And for perspective sake, the goal that Herbst set - was and is VERY ambitious - $600 million. Getting to $600 million would be an amazing thing, and hopefully, enough of a step, to kind of start the snowball going and get over the hump so to say. For comparision sake - based on info on the uconnfoundation website - the endowment for the university in 1995 was $45million.

As of 2013, the University of Delaware has an endowment fund on the plus side of $1billion. Delaware. We are at $377 million and working toward $600 million.

Now - to be fair, and I don't understand how all these things work, tehre are different types of contributions that can be set up and tracked, and my guess, is that when it comes to donations, that if the accounting and disbursement and relegation was handled differently at UCONN, the numbers would be different. UCONN makes it so that anyone that donates, can pretty much earmark exactly what they want their $ to go to, and it will be tracked there, making it hard to roll all the money into single accounts. But I'm no accountant, and I have no direct knowledge of any of that stuff, just the same internet access that everybody else has got.

Reaction Score
BAck to the topic at hand.

The support of the state legislature, is an essential part of maintaining the level of success of a state flagship university.

Still got to get through the House, so contact your state reps. Here - it's easy, and it takes less time than bitching about the AAC.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CGAFindLeg.asp

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Herbst has been absolutely great since she has taken office. I have 100% confidence in her.

I only hope that we get our conference situation fixed before she is wooed away by another institution. That is my worst fear...that she moves on to a higher profile job before we fix the athletics mess we find ourselves in.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Seems like this was aimed at me.

-she has done a great job with non sports things like academics.
-she has done a beyond bad job with sports. Warde is not a rock star. We all have our opinions of him so let's leave it at that. But a "rock star" acts like olie or jurich etc and handles the media daily with gold lips. We dragged two coaches down the road like a captured American in Iraq. The biggest single thing was fball and getting it back to national respect level for perception and instead we sat on our hands. The level of academics in which the cut off is for letting a recruit in has been butchered and moved both down and up. It led to a even embarrassing situation more than once with verbals. I can go on but won't.

Susan needs to hire a real sports person for the ad and a real marketing person. Ppl here loved warde and his experience from of all places buffalo. The funny thing now is that he left there and buffalo is doing great things and some things I have been yelling for years about. Like the other week they put the state outline on there basketball court. Seems innocent. But it's not. All u uconn grads can't understand it like I and other non alums can. It's a grab at the state pride. It's putting emotion into it for casuals. That's how money gets flowing. Ppl get hooked when its a fight worth fighting.

Either warde left there with all of that already done and he is a rockstar, or they did that since he left as some one who took over gets it. Based on what we have don't here so far with him, you take a guess which is happening.

Yale has its new guy, but in the next couple years when Harvard, penn and Princeton all need new presidents come talk to me. All have women currently. And I see a young woman here quickly trying to touch everything possible to really make her resume thick. Also fyi, yales president wants out to go into politics. When your at a BCS school and your favorite sports is lax, your either completely clueless about sports, or you already have a foot out the door thinking about something else. I don't care which it is, but neither is good for uconn sports. And guess what, all of u are hear because of sports. Not because of academics or a new library or AAU status. Mother frucking sports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the future is very bright for UConn. No one like where we are at conference-wise and our athletic concerns are valid. However, I think the uyniversity is in good hands. Sometimes good things do come to those who wait.
Yeah, but they usually come later than for those who went out and actively pursued them.

I like Herbst. For the most part, she's done an excellent job. I am very well aware that conference affiliation and sports programs aren't her priority except as a means to an end. That's as it should be, I guess.

Reaction Score
The state legislature spending another 1.5 billion dollars when they cant even balance the budget tells me less about Herbst being a "rockstar" and more about how irresponsible the the state leaders are. Its also kinda funny how you all seem to enjoy being taxed to death under the rouse that this might get UCONN invited into a real football conference. Pretty short sighted and rather pathetic.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
What is good, for the goals that ahve been set:

And for perspective sake, the goal that Herbst set - was and is VERY ambitious - $600 million. Getting to $600 million would be an amazing thing, and hopefully, enough of a step, to kind of start the snowball going and get over the hump so to say. For comparision sake - based on info on the uconnfoundation website - the endowment for the university in 1995 was $45million.

As of 2013, the University of Delaware has an endowment fund on the plus side of $1billion. Delaware. We are at $377 million and working toward $600 million.

Rutgers endowment is in the $600 million range and they got into the B1G. Coincidence? I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom