247Sports Final 2024 Recruiting Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

247Sports Final 2024 Recruiting Rankings

Reaction Score
Another follow up article from 247Sports from the update of their rankings. Predictions on conference freshman players of the year. Not exactly rocket science predicting Liam McNeeley in the Big East.

BIG EAST— LIAM MCNEELEY (CONNECTICUT COMMIT)

Ranking: No. 10 overall

Liam McNeeley made one of the best decisions of this recruiting cycle by committing to back-to-back national champions, the UConn Huskies. Dan Hurley will surround him with players with winning habits. It is the ideal situation for McNeeley as he will only be required to play to his strengths and contribute by complimenting others.

Then I saw this in the article where they have contenders for BY FOY. Is this written by a Yarder? Oy vay.

No. 31 Ahmad Nowell (Connecticut), No. 36 Jackson McAndrew (Creighton), and No. 40 Thomas Sorber (Georgetown) are the names that have legit chances at winning this award.

With Hassan Diarra back and Aiden Mahoney transferring into UConn, there will be less of an opportunity for Nowell to find meaningful minutes. However, his strength, toughness and ability to generate offense could allow him to carve out a space in the Huskies' rotation.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think it means he may be very raw offensively and needs a lot of work because hes a physical freak!
He's 6-7 and a lockdown defender and a physical freak who needs some work offensively? We'll take that all day long. We've had a few of those kind of guys who are in or on their way to the NBA. Andre and Castle come to mind.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
He's 6-7 and a lockdown defender and a physical freak who needs some work offensively? We'll take that all day long. We've had a few of those kind of guys who are in or on their way to the NBA. Andre and Castle come to mind.
Abraham shoots it better than both, but Castle and Andre Jackson had much better handle and playmaking ability. I think Castle and Andre were probably a little stronger as defenders too because of their athleticism(Andre’s quick twitch athleticism and Steph Castle’s strength and lateral agility). Not saying Isaiah’s athleticism won’t take another leap this summer though.

Drawing the assignment of Cooper Flagg, being the 6’10 athletic freak that he is, at the Chipotle National Championship showed some deficiencies that Hurley and co will be able to work on in Abraham’s game. I definitely believe Abraham will be an NBA player after 2 or 3 seasons in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I know this is a difficult time for many on the "Yard", what with no games for another six months, but who really cares about where some "experts" rank players when our staff has proven what's important to winning is not the "shiny objects" that the Dukies and Cal focus on?

We got excited about rankings when we didn't get any highly rated recruits or win any championships. Now? Fuggedabout it.

When I wear UConn gear I have yet to hear anyone ask how many five stars we had or the ranking of our recruiting class, but I've heard time and again about how impressed they were with the way we play and how a game can be close and five minutes later it's a 15 or 20 point differential and the game is over.

Enjoy the Summer, look forward to the 2025 commits, and relax about where McNeeley is ranked. He looks like another Castle in the making and won't it be more fun to hear what the experts say about him at the end of the year?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Abraham shoots it better than both, but Castle and Andre Jackson had much better handle and playmaking ability. I think Castle and Andre were probably a little stronger as defenders too because of their athleticism(Andre’s quick twitch athleticism and Steph Castle’s strength and lateral agility). Not saying Isaiah’s athleticism won’t take another leap this summer though.

Drawing the assignment of Cooper Flagg, being the 6’10 athletic freak that he is, at the Chipotle National Championship showed some deficiencies that Hurley and co will be able to work on in Abraham’s game. I definitely believe Abraham will be an NBA player after 2 or 3 seasons in Storrs.
Thanks for your comments. Cooper is 6-10 now? I hardly heard much by anyone about Abraham's playing time next season but knowing how DH is about defense there will most probably be minutes for him. I also like your projection as possible NBA after 2 or 3 seasons. As great as it is that we got the shooters in the portal I am really happy to hear that the recruits are going to be good defenders to start out. Why (his potential qualities) are you projecting him as NBA in 2-3 years?

Reaction Score
I like, what I call, layering the roster. Adding 1 to 2 impact freshman (i.e. freshman who will either start or play rotation minutes by at least the midpoint of the season), retaining our rising sophomores and juniors who began or will soon begin to grow into rotational players, retaining key upper-class/grad transfer(s) and adding needed pieces via the Portal that will contribute for a year or two at a high level.

Hurley and staff simply killed it the past 2 seasons and for this upcoming one as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
An example of what I am talking about in last post, is I think we are better off with Reed than Ngonba. Reed is more likely to play 2 years at UConn, than Ngonba playing 2 years at same school and Reed will be better in these 2 years. I think whatever team Ngonba portals to in the coming years will be the school that most benefits from his talent.
Actually could see Ngongba being a future Husky with Abraham.

Reaction Score
Pikell with a nice class at Rutgers. When's the last time anyone saw commits rates this high want to play at the Rack?

Good for the former Husky

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Thanks for your comments. Cooper is 6-10 now? I hardly heard much by anyone about Abraham's playing time next season but knowing how DH is about defense there will most probably be minutes for him. I also like your projection as possible NBA after 2 or 3 seasons. As great as it is that we got the shooters in the portal I am really happy to hear that the recruits are going to be good defenders to start out. Why (his potential qualities) are you projecting him as NBA in 2-3 years?
He’s got prototypical NBA 3&D wing attributes. Abraham’s really improved off the catch and shoot and has a quick release. Good positional size at 6’7 for an NBA 3. Looks very good off the catch and shoot. Defends well and has a high pedigree for winning and competition with Paul VI. The coaching staff has so much to work with from the player he already is. Seems like he has a great, team first, attitude as well; much like Andre Jackson.

Excited to see him compete for a role next year. I think year two, he will be a big piece for the team, and year 3 will be one of the best wings in the country.

Reaction Score
He’s got prototypical NBA 3&D wing attributes. Abraham’s really improved off the catch and shoot and has a quick release. Good positional size at 6’7 for an NBA 3. Looks very good off the catch and shoot. Defends well and has a high pedigree for winning and competition with Paul VI. The coaching staff has so much to work with from the player he already is. Seems like he has a great, team first, attitude as well; much like Andre Jackson.

Excited to see him compete for a role next year. I think year two, he will be a big piece for the team, and year 3 will be one of the best wings in the country.
I would of really liked if we had picked up a 6'10" strong forward in case Karaban doesn't return. We need a big body at forward.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
I would of really liked if we had picked up a 6'10" strong forward in case Karaban doesn't return. We need a big body at forward.
I imagine the top forwards in the portal are all keeping an eye out for Karaban’s decision. The 6’10 forward from USF comes to mind, Kasean Pryor.

Reaction Score
I would have really liked if we had picked up a 6'10" strong forward in case Karaban doesn't return. We need a big body at forward.
Will be managed after the combine. Some guys come loose and the remaining portal players can see who’s coming back and where there’s opportunity.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't lump Castle and Andre automatically together as Castle could finish at the rim and hit the mid range jumper. Both things that even to this day Andre has problems doing even with a good handle. Both are good passers with Andre going more for the flash over substance at times. Also, Andre was never as good on the ball defender as Castle was. Andre was better at making the big time steal or block by gambling even though he got better by his Jr. year on overall D. Castle also has a better release even if his 3 pt shot wasn't falling. Obviously one is getting drafted potentially in the top 10 and the other was a 2nd rounder. I just thing people group them to easily because of 3 pt shooting when Castle brought a lot more to his overall game than Andre did. No knock on Andre as he is a great player and I'm proud of his improvement. He just isn't on Castle's level especially on offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wouldn't lump Castle and Andre automatically together as Castle could finish at the rim and hit the mid range jumper. Both things that even to this day Andre has problems doing even with a good handle. Both are good passers with Andre going more for the flash over substance at times. Also, Andre was never as good on the ball defender as Castle was. Andre was better at making the big time steal or block by gambling even though he got better by his Jr. year on overall D. Castle also has a better release even if his 3 pt shot wasn't falling. Obviously one is getting drafted potentially in the top 10 and the other was a 2nd rounder. I just thing people group them to easily because of 3 pt shooting when Castle brought a lot more to his overall game than Andre did. No knock on Andre as he is a great player and I'm proud of his improvement. He just isn't on Castle's level especially on offense.
The knock on Castle's 3pt shooting really is gaslighting....he shot VERY poorly early in the year, which includes coming back from injury. He shot 15/46 or nearly 33% during BE play..

Reaction Score
The knock on Castle's 3pt shooting really is gaslighting....he shot VERY poorly early in the year, which includes coming back from injury. He shot 15/46 or nearly 33% during BE play..
I was just saying that Castle did more on offense with his ability to drive and finish , and hit the mid-range shot than Andre who struggled with anything but dunks and hitting an occasional ugly floater when closer to the basket. Most of his dunks weren't off drives in the half court set too. Just saying even if Castle's outside shot wasn't falling he was able to develop other parts of his game to be effective on offense compared to Andre.

Reaction Score
I imagine the top forwards in the portal are all keeping an eye out for Karaban’s decision. The 6’10 forward from USF comes to mind, Kasean Pryor.

Agreed. This is the guy I'd have my eye on if AK stays in the draft. Someone posted a while back that he had intel that Pryor was going to UConn...which was odd at the time and maybe we've been waiting on the AK situation. But there is at least some smoke there and I haven't seen anything on his recruitment, so maybe he has been waiting on this all along. The thing I like about him is his versatility - I think he can play the 5 in a pinch as well which really helps our frontcourt depth.

Reaction Score
Agreed. This is the guy I'd have my eye on if AK stays in the draft. Someone posted a while back that he had intel that Pryor was going to UConn...which was odd at the time and maybe we've been waiting on the AK situation. But there is at least some smoke there and I haven't seen anything on his recruitment, so maybe he has been waiting on this all along. The thing I like about him is his versatility - I think he can play the 5 in a pinch as well which really helps our frontcourt depth.
The rumors have been St John's and Arkansas for Pryor recently, and some talk that he'll want to top the Osobor NIL number. If that's the case it's hard to see him coming to UConn

Reaction Score
The rumors have been St John's and Arkansas for Pryor recently, and some talk that he'll want to top the Osobor NIL number. If that's the case it's hard to see him coming to UConn
Ha. No one has ever heard of this guy and he's trying to be the highest paid player coming out of the portal? Agreed, if that's really the case, I don't him being a UConn fit.

Reaction Score
Ha. No one has ever heard of this guy and he's trying to be the highest paid player coming out of the portal? Agreed, if that's really the case, I don't him being a UConn fit.
He's nice i know of him since i live down here. It's sort of Arkansas' fault since they have no existing culture and are just trying to buy a team. They're like bringing the DeShaun Watson contract to college hoops. 1-2 million for a really good player is insane but can't fault a kid for accepting what's offered.

That said, if the $ is close, crazy not to play for Hurley or Pitino vs. Calipari.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom