247 Sports - From Darlings to Joke: What Happened to UConn Football? | The Boneyard

247 Sports - From Darlings to Joke: What Happened to UConn Football?

Reaction Score
It's a very fair article. I think this is the most important sentence:

The aforementioned football facility is among the best in the northeast and while the budget shortfalls are alarming, Benedict says there is strong financial support to hire a new coach and, potentially, build new facilities to help pull the football program off the mat.

Reaction Score
-> The offer letter will be competitive on the Group of Five level. Edsall's salary of $1.26 million ranked higher than 41 head coaches in Group of Five conferences, according to USA Today's database of coaches' salaries in 2020.

"We're looking for someone that's going to be dynamic," Benedict said. "They're obviously going to have to come in and inject energy and personality into our program. We've lost some of that. And so we need someone that's going to be willing to come in and obviously, build the passion back in our program, both inside and outside. They need to recruit prospects into our program but also recruit our fans back." <-

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
"We're looking for someone that's going to be dynamic," Benedict said. "They're obviously going to have to come in and inject energy and personality into our program. We've lost some of that."
I'm not advocating for him, just putting my observation out there. When I read this line my mind went back to Weist. That short sleeve thing in the winter may be gimmicky, and you won't find me doing it, but it set a little tone and gave him or us an identity.

I don't know who the person is, but I want them to be a football version of Khalid El-Amin. Lots-o-moxie.
Otherwise, fair article. The importance of this next hire to football and UConn can't be underestimated.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sounds like they are going to may a good faith effort with the next hire, but what happens if he doesn't succeed is still up in the air.

Reaction Score
-> The offer letter will be competitive on the Group of Five level. Edsall's salary of $1.26 million ranked higher than 41 head coaches in Group of Five conferences, according to USA Today's database of coaches' salaries in 2020.

"We're looking for someone that's going to be dynamic," Benedict said. "They're obviously going to have to come in and inject energy and personality into our program. We've lost some of that. And so we need someone that's going to be willing to come in and obviously, build the passion back in our program, both inside and outside. They need to recruit prospects into our program but also recruit our fans back." <-
I would prefer to see the new coaching staff concentrate entirely on recruiting and player/team development. The fans will return when we start winning again. No need to put fan participation on the new coaching staff, unless DB means getting fans back with an exciting offensive scheme.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
We were Darlings? I don’t recall that.
We were America's team once....in soccer. There are no darlings in CFB unlike the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
The new coach needs the ability to bring in some talent out of Juco and the portal if they want to see immediate results. We’ve been trying for years to recruit and restart the program. We’re too far in the hole to do that again, you can only be so bad for so long before no one wants to come play in Storrs. Pay the HC and his coordinators decent money. Cut some slack on admissions for some ballers. UConn isn’t Yale! Some exceptions need to be made to revitalize the team. UConn has been crushed by realignment. Scheduling is not terrible as an Indy. Just need a staff to bring guys in to win. Make it exciting again! I’ll be waiting…hope isn’t lost yet!

Reaction Score
Good article as far as it goes but to really tell the story of the recent precipitous fall and historic futility under Edsall 2.0 they should have pointed to Edsall's disasterous policy of sitting upperclassmen and fielding large numbers of true freshman and redshirt freshmen on offense and defense against teams like Boise State, UCF, Fresno State, Cincinnati, Syracuse, Memphis, etc.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
... they should have pointed to Edsall's disasterous policy of sitting upperclassmen and fielding large numbers of true freshman and redshirt freshmen on offense and defense against teams like Boise State, UCF, Fresno State, Cincinnati, Syracuse, Memphis, etc.
The only reason to do that was for the payoff down the road. Well, we're down the road and there's been no payoff. What was he doing?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The aforementioned football facility is among the best in the northeast and while the budget shortfalls are alarming, Benedict says there is strong financial support to hire a new coach and, potentially, build new facilities to help pull the football program off the mat.

What new facilities does the program need?

Reaction Score

Hmm... we have the Burton & Schenk. Would this inference mean improving the outdoor practice field, the expansion of the RENT to its 55,000 blueprint max, or adding artificial turf to the RENT as that's what the team practices on inside anyway?

Reaction Score
The only reason to do that was for the payoff down the road. Well, we're down the road and there's been no payoff. What was he doing?
Boosting his ego.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe they want the kickers room changed back into a repository for health snacks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom