2024 season and expectations | The Boneyard

2024 season and expectations

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Obviously, the season just ended and we don't know who is going to be on the coaching staff or roster. We also do not have a complete schedule; although, I do have a good guess as to that.

I think there is a decent chance Army keeps us on their schedule, and I believe our 12th game will be against an FCS opponent at home.

IMO, the expectation for next season is 6 wins. Keep in mind, we do not play an automatic loss pay day game like this year (Tennessee). As an aside, I am not a fan of the pay day games. It is an automatic loss, we are not getting a home/home, and it deprives us of a 7th home game every other year.

Games next year by category:

Must win:
FCS at home
UMass on road
FAU at home
Buffalo at home
Temple at home
Georgia State at home

Would like to win:
Army at home (if played)
UAB on road
Syracuse at neutral

Likely losses:
Maryland on road
Duke on road
Wake on road

We have a very doable schedule next year. Anything less than six wins is a failure in my opinion.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Playing at UMass 2 years in a row?

Reaction Score
Obviously, the season just ended and we don't know who is going to be on the coaching staff or roster. We also do not have a complete schedule; although, I do have a good guess as to that.

I think there is a decent chance Army keeps us on their schedule, and I believe our 12th game will be against an FCS opponent at home.

IMO, the expectation for next season is 6 wins. Keep in mind, we do not play an automatic loss pay day game like this year (Tennessee). As an aside, I am not a fan of the pay day games. It is an automatic loss, we are not getting a home/home, and it deprives us of a 7th home game every other year.

Must win:
FCS at home
UMass on road
FAU at home
Buffalo at home
Temple at home
Georgia State at home

Would like to win:
Army at home (if played)
UAB on road
Syracuse at neutral

Likely losses:
Maryland on road
Duke on road
Wake on road

We have a very doable schedule next year. Anything less than six wins is a failure in my opinion.
To me, it is a tough road schedule for us. The home schedule is a little weaker than this year. Going 5-3 in games that we could easily lose will not be easy although certainly doable. (I am assuming, although maybe I shouldn't, the FCS at home game will be a walk over)
In any case, I love your optimism. Six wins and a bowl date would be a good rebound year for us. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score

Must win:
FCS at home
UMass on road
FAU at home
Buffalo at home
Temple at home
Georgia State at home

Would like to win:
Army at home (if played)
UAB on road
Syracuse at neutral

Likely losses:
Maryland on road
Duke on road
Wake on road

Completely agree with the one change IMO being Buffalo at home as a “would like to win”. They’re a solid program.

Ideally I think 7 wins is doable, I’ll take anything 5 and over if we’re being honest though.

Reaction Score
Will depend entirely on who comes and goes on the coaching staff and in the portal. As things stand, I'd be hard pressed to find more than 4 wins. Bring in some dudes and I could see the 6-7 range

Reaction Score
Completely agree with the one change IMO being Buffalo at home as a “would like to win”. They’re a solid program.

Ideally I think 7 wins is doable, I’ll take anything 5 and over if we’re being honest though.
Buffalo? It had 3 wins, to 3 of the worst MAC teams akron, kant state, and c. michigan

Georgia State is a tough call, all things being equal.

Reaction Score
Buffalo? It had 3 wins, to 3 of the worst MAC teams akron, kant state, and c. michigan

Georgia State is a tough call, all things being equal.
True they had a down year but they won a bowl game last year - they’re not a bad program. I think that game is in a similar tier to UAB on the road.

Reaction Score
If we are going to stay an independent I believe that we need to play these schools yearly because of region. Buffalo, UMass, Army, Syracuse, as much as I dislike saying this but Boston College and Temple. Then let the other six games roll.

Reaction Score
I was way over hyped for this year, guess am way under hyped for next year. Red pants type stupid for Mora having no DC, such poor specials, a clueless offensive scheme.
Team needs influx of talent at coaching and players level, will be quite a task. Playing 4 power conference teams, even mid level, needs power conference competitive talent and coaching. This year's Massey ratings for opponents this year vs. this years ratings of next years opponents:

This year: 18, 28, 31, 43, 80, 93, 96, 100, 110, 129, 131
Next year: 40, 43, 63, 76, 92, 96, 108, 109, 123, 128, 131

So based on this ranking (not the best but at least something), 4 hardest P4 games look like somewhat more "competitive", other 7 teams look about same as this year.

4 of this year's loses within one score and 1 was ten points, could have been another 5 or 6 win season but was not.

Don't understand why on the one hand I think team/coaches performed so bad and at times looked clueless and yet at the same time I see such a small tweak here or there (TR run for 1st downs, stop the rope a dope defense, make extra points, know where 1st down markers are, etc.) and could have had a bowl year.

Reaction Score
4 of this year's loses within one score and 1 was ten points, could have been another 5 or 6 win season but was not.

Don't understand why on the one hand I think team/coaches performed so bad and at times looked clueless and yet at the same time I see such a small tweak here or there (TR run for 1st downs, stop the rope a dope defense, make extra points, know where 1st down markers are, etc.) and could have had a bowl year.
Maybe because the ultimate job of the coaches is to win games and not to show improvement in various areas?

Reaction Score
I was way over hyped for this year, guess am way under hyped for next year. Red pants type stupid for Mora having no DC, such poor specials, a clueless offensive scheme.
Team needs influx of talent at coaching and players level, will be quite a task. Playing 4 power conference teams, even mid level, needs power conference competitive talent and coaching. This year's Massey ratings for opponents this year vs. this years ratings of next years opponents:

This year: 18, 28, 31, 43, 80, 93, 96, 100, 110, 129, 131
Next year: 40, 43, 63, 76, 92, 96, 108, 109, 123, 128, 131

So based on this ranking (not the best but at least something), 4 hardest P4 games look like somewhat more "competitive", other 7 teams look about same as this year.

I’m sort of there too. I think the problem is that we have a very small margin for error. And we play a pretty aggressive schedule. 4 teams in the Top 50. We are not winning those games very often, at least right now. Another problem is for some reason we didn’t get out of the gate well at all. The NC State game was competitive, but then we struggled. This in some ways was an everything that could go wrong did go wrong year. Imagine how we evaluate the quarterback if Ross goes to the 1st down marker rather than short and we come back to beat FIU. And we make the extra point vs Utah State. How many extra points get blocked? Yikes! Even the running back doesn’t somersault into the end zone vs NC State maybe changes that one.

We were a team that couldn’t afford to make mistakes at crucial moments and we made too many of them. I think next year, with a little easier schedule if we stop making critical errors we maybe win 6-7 again. We’ll struggle against the P4. Let’s say 1-3 optimistically. 5-3 against the rest. But just like this year we have little margin for error.

Reaction Score

Must win:
FCS at home
UMass on road
FAU at home
Buffalo at home
Temple at home
Georgia State at home

Would like to win:
Army at home (if played)
UAB on road
Syracuse at neutral

Likely losses:
Maryland on road
Duke on road
Wake on road

How can you have expectations when you haven’t seen who has left yet?

Reaction Score
yeah... this is premature. let's see them get $3M earmarked for football-exclusive NIL first, then we'll talk about expectations.

Reaction Score
How can you have expectations when you haven’t seen who has left yet?
It’s because they look at the teams and conference. I see two guaranteed wins, umass and fcs and three sure fire losses.

The other 7 range from toss-up to lean the opponent.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
If we are going to stay an independent I believe that we need to play these schools yearly because of region. Buffalo, UMass, Army, Syracuse, as much as I dislike saying this but Boston College and Temple. Then let the other six games roll.
Delaware is moving up to FBS. They might be a decent opponent.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
This should be a fun thread to read after all the coaching and player changes happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom