2023 CFB Coaching Carousel begins to spin and spin… | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2023 CFB Coaching Carousel begins to spin and spin…

Reaction Score
Yeah, but at Oregon Kelly had zero recruiting restrictions. At UCLA he has to deal with the academic lobby influencing everything he does which constrains his team building options. It was bad enough in the PAC12, but in the Big 10 it's going to become completely untenable. That's a low key REALLY hard job......there are very, very few institutions where you can both maintain a high academic profile and recruit high level FBS players. Notre Dame, Michigan, Duke and Wake Forest occasionally, maybe UNC. Other than that though it's well nigh impossible.

The point of bringing him to UCONN is he'd be free of the fictitious duality; academics are important to the administration and per Mora our 'footprint' doesn't produce high end high school kids so the thought is you bring in Kelly for his creativity and allow him to cook with the roster at his disposal sans recruiting pressures.

Could work, who knows? I think he and Mora are roughly the same age so they could vibe.

In any event based on his presser it sounds like the entire coaching staff is gonna be turned over as well as a substantial portion of the roster....I'm intrigued to see if Mora can make good his promise to turn the program with 'portal kids' and get some 'hard asses' into the (assume this means coaches and players) program.

It was pretty clear to me based on his comments about the JMU players' physiology and physicality that he has come to the conclusion the team needs to get bigger, faster and stronger. Buckle up.
Bigger stronger faster, novel approach

Reaction Score

Much as I love Penn State (my brother went there), Franklin is a bit of a Stop artist. Always has an excuse for losing the big ones. Sure the OC was horrible in failing to build an offense around the QB, but where was the OL, the great running game we were supposed to have, etc. Defense was excellent, but they can't do it all. Tired of waiting for them to live up to Franklin's hype!

Reaction Score
Kinda hard to argue this point. He's an extremely effective Coordinator though...
Absolutely and a great recruiter. I mean if he was UConn’s head coach I’d be pretty stoked to watch them play.

Reaction Score

Shortcut

-> This has proven to be a difficult job, and Syracuse has trailed behind its peers in the NIL space, with Babers saying he was unable to keep depth in the program in the age of NIL/transfer portal. Can it turn around? The next coach will have a lot of work to do. It has one 10-win season since 2002. The Orange were once a great program in the 1980s and 1990s, at the forefront of offensive football in many ways. But that’s a long time ago. It has been unable to reclaim the glory. <-

Reaction Score
Well, yes, but they’re coasting along in neutral achieving 10-2 or 9-3 almost every year. May we one day be stuck in that level of neutral.
This is a huge problem I think that lots of programs that move “up” run into. Texas A&M, Penn State, in a lesser level, how have BC Syracuse and Pitt done in the ACC? And watch as Texas and USC suffer a similar fate in their new homes. Penn State always complained that they got jobbed by B10 refs, even when they were there for a decade or more. Wait until you see what happens to USC. Texas, for all there macho talk issimply not going to get treated as well in the SEC as they did in the B12. And reality is that in all those cases the programs are typically less than where they are going.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Babers was known in the past for a high tempo effective offense. Is that still true? (I really haven't followed Cuse football lately)

It so...would he be a good consideration for OC? Northeast experience. Seemed to be a good recruiter prior to NIL. Or...is he too old school?

Reaction Score
Kirkpatrick’s name came up often on here for OC openings when he was @ JMU:

Reaction Score
Their biggest win is against a mediocre LSU. They don’t beat the teams that matter. That’s his MO
Well it’s something and not nothing, if you said he’s good but not great then I would agree. LSU is 8-3 I wouldn’t call that mediocre. So your a bad coach if you lose to Georgia and Bama?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom