2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPNW got rid of their evaluation service for the ESPN top 100 WBB players. Now “Premier BB Scouting out of Frisco ,TX handles the ranking and i now think its better

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was Kelsey Bone #1 in her class? I thought she would be the program changer when she committed, but she transferred home after one year.

Rather it be a native daughter of South Carolina any way.
Bone won a National Title Tx A’M

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have to say that I've been super impressed with Ashlynn Watkins over the past few weeks. I think she can be more dominant too. She is starting to look like a possible SEC POY for next year if she takes that next step in the off-season. Is there a more athletic forward in college women's hoops?

Reaction Score
I have to say that I've been super impressed with Ashlynn Watkins over the past few weeks. I think she can be more dominant too. She is starting to look like a possible SEC POY for next year if she takes that next step in the off-season. Is there a more athletic forward in college women's hoops?
She could possibly win one or both of SEC 6POY and DPOY this season. When SC was recruiting her, her reputation was a terrific defender with a raw offensive game, but she looks polished on both ends now and did so at times as a freshman, too.

Reaction Score
When she started taking those mid-range shots and making them is when she went from being a defensive stopper to a great 2 way player. Chloe/Kamilla absenses really gave her some great experience a she capitalized big time. Carreras from Florida is her biggest competition for 6th POY I think.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Watkins is ridiculously impactful on both ends when she's dialed in like she's been the past couple of games. This might be premature but I'd say she's the early favorite to be the #1 pick in the 2026 WNBA draft. She's improved so much in such a short time and other aspects of her game (mid range/passing/ball handling) are all starting to emerge and once it all clicks she's going to be scary good.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Ashlyn has immense physical prowess. Only Ashlyn and MiLaysia hit the fitness goals set by Molly Binetti for this season.

Reaction Score
Watkins is ridiculously impactful on both ends when she's dialed in like she's been the past couple of games. This might be premature but I'd say she's the early favorite to be the #1 pick in the 2026 WNBA draft. She's improved so much in such a short time and other aspects of her game (mid range/passing/ball handling) are all starting to emerge and once it all clicks she's going to be scary good.
I was writing a very similar post but dialed it back to SEC POY for next year. But she is starting to get those #1 overall WNBA draft pick vibes. If she can develop a dependable 3-point shot over the next two years, the sky's the limit. I also wonder if she can add an extra inch or two to that vertical so that she can dunk on a more frequent basis. Can you imagine if she bluffed a 3-pointer, got her man jumping to block the shot and then runs by them for a dunk?! I would faint. :p

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I was writing a very similar post but dialed it back to SEC POY for next year. But she is starting to get those #1 overall WNBA draft pick vibes. If she can develop a dependable 3-point shot over the next two years, the sky's the limit. I also wonder if she can add an extra inch or two to that vertical so that she can dunk on a more frequent basis. Can you imagine if she bluffed a 3-pointer, got her man jumping to block the shot and then runs by them for a dunk?! I would faint. :p

I was just thinking about it and there isn't anyone who jumps out as an obvious pick from the 2026 class. Other likely contenders would be:
Olivia Miles (if she uses her 5th year)
TaNiya Latson
Kiki Rice
Lauren Betts
Grace Vanslooten
Cotie McMahon
Flau'jae Johnson
Raven Johnson

But I'd probably pick Watkins over any of them as a WNBA prospect. Offense will come with time but her defense, body and overall athleticism are elite right now.

Reaction Score
Definitely can see how this team might lose in March.

Handful of rickety things. Three point shooting has been fading a bit. And they're not as deep defensively inside as folks think.

Reaction Score

Handful of rickety things. Three point shooting has been fading a bit. And they're not as deep defensively inside as folks think.
Relax. This is the part of the season that teams have to mentally get through before the post season. When the team stop taking the baigt of the Georgia zone, then it got back to what brought them here and decivesly won the second half. Every once in a while the team looks its youth, but then they recaliberate. They should be fine. Every lesson they learn, tbey gain that much more expereince. They shot 66% form three in the second half when they took the right shot instead of just throwing up shots to get the game over early.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think a loss would serve SC well to take the pressure off. They haven’t looked great the last few games and would probably learn a lot from a setback. If they win out going into the NCAA’s I could see dejavu happening again this year, similar to UCONN in 2017/2018.

Reaction Score
So apparently before the NCAA sanctioned WBB, an Organization existed named AIWAA . That native South Carolinian scored more points than Caitlin Clark but its not an NCAA record. Pearl Moore 4,061 points at Francis Marion- Sylvia Hatchel was the Coach.

Reaction Score
When I played in 74 it was AIWAA. Played for S.C. and we had to drive our own vehicles to play away games. :). We played in the old Booker T Washington gym. We got to play in the Coliseum once a year and thought it was the greatest thing on earth. We were called the Chicks back then - had to fundraise for our shoes. I only played one year because my parents couldn’t afford to pay for my school and for me to play BB. Title IX happened while I was in college and things have never been the same. :D:D:D

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It was the AIAW that governed women's athletics until 1982, which was when I started attending WBB games. I was a senior in HS. The Gamecocks made the AIAW Final Four, but that is almost always ignored by announcers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was he AIAW that governed women's athletics until 1982, which was when I started attending WBB games. I was a senior in HS. The Gamecocks made the AIAW Final Four, but that is almost always ignored by announcers.
Thanks for sharing a little bit of the AIAW and South Carolina history. I wonder if there is a reason why announcers don't mention a lot about the AIAW. There is a lot of history with the AIAW that as fans of WBB we don't know or hear about, unless we do a deep dive to find things out. So, I greatly appreciate you and others sharing the knowledge with us fans of WBB.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing a little bit of the AIAW and South Carolina history. I wonder if there is a reason why announcers don't mention a lot about the AIAW. There is a lot of history with the AIAW that as fans of WBB we don't know or hear about, unless we do a deep dive to find things out. So, I greatly appreciate you and others sharing the knowledge with us fans of WBB.
UCONN fans should be familiar with the AIAW, simply because Chris Dailey was on the Rutgers team that won the last AIAW national championship in 1982. Fun fact; she and I grew up in the same vicinity in Central NJ.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
1980 AIAW Tournament

Reaction Score
I think a loss would serve SC well to take the pressure off. They haven’t looked great the last few games and would probably learn a lot from a setback. If they win out going into the NCAA’s I could see dejavu happening again this year, similar to UCONN in 2017/2018.
I get your point, but I don't agree. It's a long season, everyone brings their A++ game when they play SC. Going undefeated thus far - just look at other top teams and their results - is remarkable. This youthful SC team has EXCEEDED all pre-season takes/predictions tenfold. It's all icing. I think they can learn just as much from a "close win" where they didn't play up to their standards. Cardoso has been gone, she's back with jetlag and still excelled against Georgia. Jah - no matter her playing time prior to being unvailable now - was still another player from the bench to put out there that created a spurt of energy. A "setback" isn't necessary to improve. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score

Handful of rickety things. Three point shooting has been fading a bit. And they're not as deep defensively inside as folks think
Respectfully, any team "can" and "might" lose in March. Would certainly be a bad time to lose! It's a long season, the team has been stellar. Last couple of games we've not had Kamilla and now that she's still recovering from travel. Yet we've won. Are they perfect? No. Other than their record, of course. The have poise, cohesiveness, team first mentatlity. As for "not as deep defensively" - do you mean the bench isn't as good on D when they are in? Probably true. Improving on that front though - MiLaysia is a perfect example. As for "rickety" - teams have stepped it up on us defensively as well, Georgia with the zone had to be figured out and adjustments made. This team as the "it" factor that the team the past couple of years did not. "Killer" instinct - a little hot sauce, as it were. Will they win the Natty, no sure - I wouldn't bet against them and I would add with would be "ahead of schedule" for them.

Reaction Score
Respectfully, any team "can" and "might" lose in March. Would certainly be a bad time to lose! It's a long season, the team has been stellar. Last couple of games we've not had Kamilla and now that she's still recovering from travel. Yet we've won. Are they perfect? No. Other than their record, of course. The have poise, cohesiveness, team first mentatlity. As for "not as deep defensively" - do you mean the bench isn't as good on D when they are in? Probably true. Improving on that front though - MiLaysia is a perfect example. As for "rickety" - teams have stepped it up on us defensively as well, Georgia with the zone had to be figured out and adjustments made. This team as the "it" factor that the team the past couple of years did not. "Killer" instinct - a little hot sauce, as it were. Will they win the Natty, no sure - I wouldn't bet against them and I would add with would be "ahead of schedule" for them.
Look, in my view the season has been a success and not much that happens in March can change that.

If we lose, we lose and that's fine. We will lose to a good team in an unembarrassing way and that's just college basketball if it happens.

I'm just commenting on whether would look like.

This has been a great year and it's a great team, but they've looked mortal several times and the schedule is a good bit easier than it has been in recent seasons. Through no fault of USC's.

But I figure we should be a big favorite to win it anyway.

I thought we were being disrespected a bit in preseason as I knew what we had coming back and added and that we were clearly a favorite. Didn't expect to be the prohibitive one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom