2022 Recruiting Thread | Page 58 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
You need a competent offensive scheme to judge. What we do know is here are the stats of the top 5 returning receivers:

2021:
Marion 28 receptions, 474 yards, 16.9 yds/catch, 5 TDs
Turner 33 receptions, 232 yards, 7.0 yds/catch, 0 TDs
Clercius 20 receptions, 260 yards, 13.0 yds/catch, 3 TDs

2019:
Ross 60 receptions, 723 yards. 12.0 yds/catch, 4 TDs
Drayton 21 receptions, 278 yards, 13.2 yds/catch, 2 TDs

I think that is a good nucleus of young receivers.
Again, if the staff feels we are set, I’m fine. Posting stats of guys averaging 2-3 catches/game and 20-40 yds/game seems to reiterate we have a glaring need. If JM thinks we have ltd spots at position and that he’s found a better one, I’m all in.

Reaction Score
We could use one stud WR to be a go to. The other 5 are solid; complementary.

Reaction Score
How do we know this kid's scholarship was pulled because we're filled up at WR?

Could there be another reason?

Reaction Score
How do we know this kid's scholarship was pulled because we're filled up at WR?

Could there be another reason?
The guy who was complaining on Twitter mentioned that they pulled his scholarship to have room to get people from the Portal, so I think people took that as filled up.

Reaction Score
You need a competent offensive scheme to judge. What we do know is here are the stats of the top 5 returning receivers:

2021:
Marion 28 receptions, 474 yards, 16.9 yds/catch, 5 TDs
Turner 33 receptions, 232 yards, 7.0 yds/catch, 0 TDs
Clercius 20 receptions, 260 yards, 13.0 yds/catch, 3 TDs

2019:
Ross 60 receptions, 723 yards. 12.0 yds/catch, 4 TDs
Drayton 21 receptions, 278 yards, 13.2 yds/catch, 2 TDs

I think that is a good nucleus of young receivers.
And just think how much better turner's stats would be if we didnt always pass him the ball 5 yards behind the line. I've never seen so many negative yard receptions. Not his fault. Bad play calling and blocking.

Reaction Score
I'm sure (I hope) the new staff did not do anything slimey, but inviting a kid for an OV, have the kid think he was "locked in" after the OV, only to be told "never mind" after his locked in tweet is not optimal.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I wish the kid good luck but he decommitted back in a October right. So I don’t think he should expect that after meeting with the coaches that he automatically gets in. Some kids passed the test. He obviously didn’t.

Reaction Score
I'm sure (I hope) the new staff did not do anything slimey, but inviting a kid for an OV, have the kid think he was "locked in" after the OV, only to be told "never mind" after his locked in tweet is not optimal.
Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. Run don't walk, spots are filling up fast was what they said.

Reaction Score
They also lost KJ Burke, a wr from FL with a very good offer list. Different type of player tho.

Reaction Score
I am fine if a new coach pulls an offer. I don’t understand why UConn has to play by different rules than anyone else .

If that's what happened I don't think it's right. What other programs do shouldn't come into the equation. That said, I'm not at all sure this offer was pulled because of the roster. It makes no sense that they have this kid in for an OV and then pull the offer......none!

Reaction Score
We don't know anything. And let's not believe the Twitter guy on face value.

As of late last week, we agreed to pay his full expenses for the visit. Did his parents come too?

I highly doubt this Portal discussion. I bet nobody gave him a sniff of that ... and I tend to think Exit 4 had a little smidge of the reason. Something happened. Something was wrong. We had plenty of due diligence before paying his way; and then this is the result on his landing back in Dallas. As noted: you may never hear the full story.

Reaction Score
If that's what happened I don't think it's right. What other programs do shouldn't come into the equation. That said, I'm not at all sure this offer was pulled because of the roster. It makes no sense that they have this kid in for an OV and then pull the offer......none!
My son just completed the college recruiting process (baseball). Visits are about getting to know the player. Covid and the Portal have college coaches being much more selective with offers, for a number of reasons.

Every recruit has “talent”, but offers are not legally binding. Coaches are looking for fit with these visits. What’s the kid’s personality? How is his character? Is he coachable? Is he a great teammate? Does he get along with other recruits? How does he talk to his parents/guardian/coaches? What are his expectations in this program? Do those expectations align with the staffs? What are his other interests outside of sports? What’s his [insert sport] IQ?

These are some of the things my son was being evaluated on during his visits. Fit matters, for all parties. Rosters are backed up and spots are limited. Coaches don’t want a kid that doesn’t check all the boxes. Furthermore, coaches (except Edsall) would rather grab an experienced/physically ready player from the portal for a year or two, over an 18-yr old kid who’s not and won’t clear your roster for four/five years.

It’s unfair to the kid, but it’s not the coach’s fault. These are the cards they were dealt. This is an NCAA problem.

Reaction Score
We don't know anything. And let's not believe the Twitter guy on face value.

As of late last week, we agreed to pay his full expenses for the visit. Did his parents come too?

I highly doubt this Portal discussion. I bet nobody gave him a sniff of that ... and I tend to think Exit 4 had a little smidge of the reason. Something happened. Something was wrong. We had plenty of due diligence before paying his way; and then this is the result on his landing back in Dallas. As noted: you may never hear the full story.
It looks like Brown transferred from Mesquite Horn after his junior year to Cedar Hill. All of the videos and stats that I can find on him are from his Junior and Sophomore years and his offers were made before his senior year. It is odd that he has no senior highlights on his HUDL page. Based on the game stories from Cedar Hill, it doesn't appear that he had much impact this year as it doesn't look like he had a TD. It seems like Cedar Hill is a better team than Mesquite Horn and he either had a tough time getting on the field or he was injured this year.

Reaction Score
Ideally it would be best to offer after seeing senior year but early signing has everyone offering and filling early. Did CT play HS football last year?

Reaction Score
In the olden days, I might've joined the righteous indignation crowd and sputtered about loyalty and commitment.

The came paying athletes, unfettered transfers, taj mahal facilities, coaches making $100,000,000.

Now, it only matters about wins and losses. Cut the kids, crush their dreams. IDGAF. My fidelity is to the win loss column, not some 7x7 entrepreneur from Dallas.

Reaction Score
In the olden days, I might've joined the righteous indignation crowd and sputtered about loyalty and commitment.

The came paying athletes, unfettered transfers, taj mahal facilities, coaches making $100,000,000.

Now, it only matters about wins and losses. Cut the kids, crush their dreams. IDGAF. My fidelity is to the win loss column, not some 7x7 entrepreneur from Dallas.
The guys a Duke fan based on his profile. That says it all. Duke fan who lives in Texas? No thanks.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It looks like Brown transferred from Mesquite Horn after his junior year to Cedar Hill. All of the videos and stats that I can find on him are from his Junior and Sophomore years and his offers were made before his senior year. It is odd that he has no senior highlights on his HUDL page. Based on the game stories from Cedar Hill, it doesn't appear that he had much impact this year as it doesn't look like he had a TD. It seems like Cedar Hill is a better team than Mesquite Horn and he either had a tough time getting on the field or he was injured this year.
Wrong, he got ruled ineligible by the UIL for an illegal transfer to Cedar Hill.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom