2016 Geno goes to Cali to see Sabrina Ionescu | The Boneyard

2016 Geno goes to Cali to see Sabrina Ionescu

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She's from Walnut Creek, in the East Bay. Let's hear from the SF BYers.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't know if it'll end up meaning anything, but Ionescu, KLS, and Lauren Cox ('16) are very good friends. Cox is a great athlete who plays volleyball and runs track. She wants to play volleyball in college.

Kind of interesting, Cox' father seems to follow the Horde. Today he re-tweeted the Adamec piece on Jefferson/Dangerfield even though there was nothing about his daughter in it.

I would take a Cox/Dangerfield double and call it a day for '16.

Reaction Score
If Geno went to Cali.... isn't the player in Colorado at the tryouts? :confused:

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Silly question that no one in Connecticut will understand. How does she live in Walnut Creek and go to Miramonte? If she's in WC she would have to go to Northgate, Las Lomas or Carondolet.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Undecided among Cal (near home), Oregon, and Oregon State. Her brother is a walk-on at one of the Oregon schools.

Reaction Score
Why are we not recruiting her, she is still uncommitted?
She has narrowed it down to 3 schools not including UCONN (Cal, Oregon, Oregon State). She sure blew it away in the McD game today! Also appeared very articulate, self-assured and confident in post-game interview.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I don't know if it'll end up meaning anything, but Ionescu, KLS, and Lauren Cox ('16) are very good friends. Cox is a great athlete who plays volleyball and runs track. She wants to play volleyball in college.

Kind of interesting, Cox' father seems to follow the Horde. Today he re-tweeted the Adamec piece on Jefferson/Dangerfield even though there was nothing about his daughter in it.

I would take a Cox/Dangerfield double and call it a day for '16.

When Quint K. interviewed Cox last night, it seemed that she almost went out of her way to say that family was "one of the major reasons" she chose to go to Baylor. Almost sounded like she didn't want to tick off UConn, ND, etc.

As an Irish fan, I'm pleased with Erin Boley and Jackie Young. Actually really pleased...Boley is one fine team-oriented player and Young is like a combination of Loyd and McBride. But the thought of Lauren Cox joining them in South Bend would've been...aargh. Let's just say, I share your pain. :-(

If Kim can figure out how to get Cox and Chou into the flow, whew. Otherwise, the jacket could be flying a lot next year.

As for Ionescu, love the way she upped the effort when appropriate to the needs of the team and flow of the game. So very smooth...and tough at the same time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As an Irish fan, I'm pleased with Erin Boley and Jackie Young. Actually really pleased...
As well you should be. Getting a lot of talent in next year. To go with a lot of talent. You guys will be really good next year.

If Kim can figure out how to get Cox and Chou into the flow, whew. Otherwise, the jacket could be flying a lot next year.
I was more impressed with Joyner. Having her join Texas, Baylor's gonna have their hands full just winning the Big12.

As for Ionescu, love the way she upped the effort when appropriate to the needs of the team and flow of the game. So very smooth...and tough at the same time.
Always thought Ionescu would be a great fit at UCONN. Wish she would have been interested in coming east. But it seems like a lot in this class wanted to stay close to home. Thought she could have been another Doty.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Always thought Ionescu would be a great fit at UCONN. Wish she would have been interested in coming east. But it seems like a lot in this class wanted to stay close to home. Thought she could have been another Doty.
I think that's the major point that Chiney Ogwumike was trying to make: The majority of elite girl's players want to stay close to home. The statistics presented in the article back this up. The fact that Geno can convince some girl's to move away from home is a credit to him. But it also explains why most elites don't come to UConn. ( For those UConn fans who can't understand why every elite player doesn't come to UConn.)

But, I disagree with Chiney's contention that girl's can learn basketball from DVDs. They are not learning a very important aspect of basketball - team play. In any sport, a team that plays like a team can beat a group of all-stars.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As well you should be. Getting a lot of talent in next year. To go with a lot of talent. You guys will be really good next year.

I was more impressed with Joyner. Having her join Texas, Baylor's gonna have their hands full just winning the Big12.

I like her game and wanted her too. I wonder if there was an issue with her brother looking to play somewhere. Did their father propose a package deal, a la the Paris twins? I don't know that, but it's possible. Sabrina is considering 3 schools, 1 of which is where her brother will go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom