2015-2016 Roster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2015-2016 Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score
I haven't calculated average team heights between the two but I think you guys are a little bigger than us this year. I know for sure that UCONN has more players 6'0 or taller than SC.
I don't know SCGamecock.......Do the math including your incoming freshmen because I don't know who they are. But I still think you guys are bigger on average. However, I still think the Huskies are more talented and deeper regardless. Though Wilson worries me and Coates is making strides.

After watching Wilson , can you imagine how unfair it would be for WCBB if Wilson had decided to sign with the Huskies??

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't know SCGamecock..Do the math including your incoming freshmen because I don't know who they are. But I still think you guys are bigger on average. However, I still think the Huskies are more talented and deeper regardless. Though Wilson worries me and Coates is making strides.

After watching Wilson , can you imagine how unfair it would be for WCBB if Wilson had decided to sign with the Huskies??

Perhaps if Wilson signed with UCONN.... one of the incoming freshmen or Butler wouldnt have come ?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There's this common belief that most bigs can't shoot threes.
This is not a commom belief, it is an easily verifiable fact.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-women/d1/current/individual/109/p1
If you take the top 150 best (by percentage-minimum of 2 made 3 per game) NCAA shooters this past season none are 6'4" or taller . Only two Bonnie Samuelson and Whitney Knight of FGU are listed at 6'3"- Neither is actually the listed height. I understand your explanation of Dawn's offense , and believe you when you say White has a good looking shot in practice. 2 questions : 1) Do you disagree that SC needs more reliable 3 point shooting than has been demonstrated by the current roster? 2) Do you think that White's and/or Wilson's 3 point shooting will develop to the point where it actually makes a difference in the outcome of a game?

To filp the Allen Iverson Quote: " I'm not taking about practice, I talking about the game"

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I don't know SCGamecock..Do the math including your incoming freshmen because I don't know who they are. But I still think you guys are bigger on average. However, I still think the Huskies are more talented and deeper regardless. Though Wilson worries me and Coates is making strides.

Finally got around to doing the math..
I've included the entire 2015 rosters for both teams, including incoming freshmen.

The average height of South Carolina's 14 player roster is 71.14 inches, or barely over 5'11.

The average height of UCONN's 13 player roster is 71.76, so still 5'11 but almost 6'.

To make things even, I did calculations for a 13 man South Carolina roster as well (by dropping Cuevas, SC's shortest player) and the average height rose to 71.53 inches (Still shorter than UCONN but barely)

And just in case somebody asked, I did one for a 16 man SC roster (including ineligible transfers Kaela Davis and Alisha Gray) and the average height there was 71.37 inches.

So in reality, neither team is remarkably bigger than the other but if there had to be a bigger team (whether you use average height or number of players taller than 6') then that team would be UCONN.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I understand your explanation of Dawn's offense , and believe you when you say White has a good looking shot in practice. 2 questions : 1) Do you disagree that SC needs more reliable 3 point shooting than has been demonstrated by the current roster? 2) Do you think that White's and/or Wilson's 3 point shooting will develop to the point where it actually makes a difference in the outcome of a game?

1. No I agree, SC does need better 3 point shooting but from my observations the separation between SC and ND/UCONN is in passing the ball around. UCONN likes to get the ball in the paint too but if there's no shot then the post kicks the ball back out to a guard who nails a three or a jumper from the high post. Last season SC lacked in that area. Once that ball went inside, it rarely ever came back out (a black hole), even if there was no shot. Which then leads to a rebound going the other way. I'm not one to question Dawn but IMHO SC either needs to get more creative at getting the ball in the paint or our post need to be instructed to move the ball around and find an open guard if the paint is clogged up. While that's happening, guards need to knock down threes when the opportunity presents itself. We have guards that can hit threes (Mitchell, Roy, Dozier, Sessions) but they have to become more consistent, specifically Dozier and Sessions. Dozier hit 5 threes in the game versus LSU (I believe) so she's capable.

2. I don't think a day will come where we see White knocking down 2 or 3 threes a night but she's a more mobile player than Coates, so I do believe that her back won't always be to the goal. She will have her chances to hit short/mid range jumpers. I do think A'ja can develop her three point shooting into a weapon. She practices shooting it a lot but it's all mental for her right now. Her first intuition isn't to shoot the three, she wants to drive to the goal where she knows she can penetrate or be fouled. The irony is that she hates contact, so you think she'd be more of an outside player, but alas that part of her game is still growing. She'll get there and she knows that's the part of her game that she needs to work on, that's important. She's learning her limitations but she's a versatile player in a sense so that's something that can be added to her arsenal.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I've included the entire 2015 rosters for both teams, including incoming freshmen.

The average height of South Carolina's 14 player roster is 71.14 inches, or barely over 5'11.

The average height of UCONN's 13 player roster is 71.76, so still 5'11 but almost 6'.

To make things even, I did calculations for a 13 man South Carolina roster as well (by dropping Cuevas, SC's shortest player) and the average height rose to 71.53 inches (Still shorter than UCONN but barely)

And just in case somebody asked, I did one for a 16 man SC roster (including ineligible transfers Kaela Davis and Alisha Gray) and the average height there was 71.37 inches.

So in reality, neither team is remarkably bigger than the other but if there had to be a bigger team (whether you use average height or number of players taller than 6') then that team would be UCONN.

well since you are in the mindset... how about going ahead and calculate the height of the Duke team that will invade Columbia in December. Of course you can leave off Lexie Brown since she wont be playing this year, but is listed on the roster.

HGN

Reaction Score

SCGamecock, I stand corrected. UConn is the taller team. Barely, but the taller team.

Thanks for doing the math. But I know you only did it just to prove me wrong.:cool:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
well since you are in the mindset... how about going ahead and calculate the height of the Duke team that will invade Columbia in December. Of course you can leave off Lexie Brown since she wont be playing this year, but is listed on the roster.

I have no doubt in my mind Duke is taller than SC. I'm not sure if you all have a player under 6'0.. (Sarcasm, but really.. like 3 players)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

The average height of Duke's roster (excluding Brown) is 73.23 inches, so a little over 6'1. A full two inches taller than SC.

I'm really not looking forward to that game. Duke has 9 players over 6'0 and 5 of them are 6'4 and up.. :eek:

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
SCGamecock, I stand corrected. UConn is the taller team. Barely, but the taller team.

Thanks for doing the math. But I know you only did it just to prove me wrong.:cool:

Not necessarily just you, but really for the entire board. There's this misconception on the BY that SC is this team of giants, which would always make me laugh because I don't think we're that big at all. I'd like to see us go bigger actually but that's a topic for a recruiting thread.

We were on the bigger side last year with Ibiam, Coates, Wilson, White and Welch (who we know plays much bigger than 6'). But we lost 2 of those players and added one.. Simply put, we are not that big this year.

As opposed to a team like Duke (see above post).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
South Carolina's biggest issue offensively this year will be the difficulty it has spacing the floor from the wing and PF spots. When UConn played SC last year there were never fewer than 3 defenders parked in the lane because they weren't worried about the perimeter games of Wilson, Coates, Ibiam, Welch or White. Based on what we saw from Wilson and Coates this summer and based on what we know of the UVA transfer, that is unlikely to change this season. The lack of spacing leaves little room in the paint for Coates, Wilson, etc to isolate defenders and score, at least against elite teams. Contrast that with UConn's ability to space the floor with Tuck and Stewart (both of whom are proven 3-pt shooters). There are so many options a team has when it can lift defenders away from the basket.

Reaction Score
There's this common belief that most bigs can't shoot threes, so I understand your skepticism. But truth be told, there are more bigs capable of shooting threes than you think, just off the top of my head I can think of Duke's Stevens, FSU's Bulgak and Illinois' White.. Just because you don't see a player do something during the game doesn't mean she's incapable of doing it. White was a top 10 player and McDonalds All-American, she's obviously talented. White was in a walking boot for half the season and then suffered through a bout with the flu after that. During that time she wasn't practicing or working out with the team. She didn't return to work outs until very late in the regular season and she never quite got into "mid season form" which is why she only played briefly. She was very rusty and Dawn has this thing about playing players that go hard during practice (I.e. Dozier).

My OP says that White has a nice jumper inside and outside.. which is what I see when Dawn has her players go through shooting drills. Her shot has a high arc and her form looks natural... I said her shot is "nice", meaning that she looks comfortable behind the arc... but CONSISTENCY is an issue. Some players approach the arc with apprehension, and that shows, but I didn't get that feeling from White. She's eager to join the guards during the three point drills and she even knocks down a few. I think you misinterpreted my original post... No, you will not see White jacking up (and making) threes like Mosqueda-Lewis because she can't and that's not her go to game. She is a post player so she'll do most of her damage in the paint. Dawn is very intent on playing this specific style of getting the ball inside. She doesn't ask a lot from her bigs.. they just need to be there for the feed. She wants her guards to get the ball inside to the bigs. Our guards barely shoot threes because Dawn knows her strength is in the paint. She screams from the sideline, "Get it in the paint"... So if our guards barely shoot threes then you're definitely not about to see White or Wilson letting one go from behind the arc regularly... but the both of them can. It's not their most polished skill, but they can. Maybe we'll see more offensive creativity this year, maybe not. I would love to see us use Wilson the way Duke uses Stevens. But I've noticed that Wilson lacks confidence in her shooting.

You can choose to believe me or not. Honestly I don't care. I answered the question that the other poster asked me and that's all I can do. Unfortunately I have no video proof of White knocking down threes during the drills and I won't pretend to be some insider of Gamecock WBB.. But I do have access to the team beyond just the casual fan. I won't say in what capacity (because I'm here as a fan, not a journalist) but just know that I'm simply a student at USC and covering the WBB team is a part of my "beat". So I attend their practices, I know these girls, I see them in the dining hall and I hang around after practice to see them cool down and shoot around.

No offense scgamecock -- and I want to add I enjoy reading posts from you and triaad and other non-favorite-UConn fans. But I would have asked simialr question(s) that the poster rw did. I wouldn't have meant it as sarcasm / tough etc. When you say the following:

" . . . but she's also good facing the basket. She has a nice jumper inside and behind the arc.. just needs consistency . . ."

When you say above ---and we're all in the spirit of discussing "basketball" (for example we've had fun arguments on this board about size - some posters love big, others like "quick" etc),--- you said to paraphrase "White is GOOD facing the basket." Then you say "She just needs consistency."

I think what you say -- how I look at it- it's a contradiction because you can't be good at something like shooting if you aren't consistent unless you're a "consistent" "streak shooter." And even a long long long long time ago when I was much younger I can remember hearing for example how players hit their ft's in practice. Go into a game and they just can't hit with consistency. In terms of a basketball discussion on this site- I would disagree with anyone that says/categorizes/defines someone is "good facing the basket" combining that with "having a nice shot from behind the arc" then saying "they lack consistency." IMO lacking consistency can not make someone "good" at it. They have "potential." But potential is highly overrated until it is realized.

SO if you disagree with this- it's what this board is partially about - we can discuss-- not slamming you. For me- I don't agree with how you are in a way defining practices then drawing a conclusion that "she is good facing the basket" unless you saw her overseas nailing a few vs good competition- then unless you have -- as rw suggested I'm going to be skeptical too but not slamming you. IMO a player shoots near 80% ft accuracy in practice but is 55% in games is NOT a "GOOD" ft shooter.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck is vastly more likely to take those shots and make 55-60% than Jatarie White will ever be able to. She has already done it in games not just in practice.

Reaction Score
-Height, height, height. Arggg. While it's nice to have tall kids, and sometimes size does matter :rolleyes: , it's way overrated. It sure didn't help our two tallest opponents last year (USC and Duke).

-Fact is, the shortest kid (5'7") on UConn was every bit as essential to winning National Championship #10 as Stewie was. Maybe even more so.

-And... I suspect that an even shorter kid (5'6"Danger) will have a similarly profound impact on the program in the years ahead.
http://i1./usathss.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/nasbrd03-14-2014tennessean1c00520140313img-mursportsblackman1.jpg?crop=0px%2C166px%2C1000px%2C783px&resize=295%2C231 A (short) child leads them, has led them, and will lead them.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Having 5'7" and 5'10" kids who can jump out of the gym sure does help.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
South Carolina's biggest issue offensively this year will be the difficulty it has spacing the floor from the wing and PF spots. When UConn played SC last year there were never fewer than 3 defenders parked in the lane because they weren't worried about the perimeter games of Wilson, Coates, Ibiam, Welch or White. Based on what we saw from Wilson and Coates this summer and based on what we know of the UVA transfer, that is unlikely to change this season. The lack of spacing leaves little room in the paint for Coates, Wilson, etc to isolate defenders and score, at least against elite teams. Contrast that with UConn's ability to space the floor with Tuck and Stewart (both of whom are proven 3-pt shooters). There are so many options a team has when it can lift defenders away from the basket.
Excellent observation-SC lacks the ability to space the floor. This has been a two year problem and when you go back and look at all the SC defeats and close games (Kentucky & Duke) in the past two years you will clearly see that the defensive game plan is to consistently have ALL 5 defensive players with a foot in the paint. It has been 3 recruiting classes now and Dawn has failed to deliver a recruit that can be considered a legit floor spacer ( 3 Pt. threat). IMO this is what will ultimately keep SC from winning a NC.

Reaction Score
Interesting analysis of team height - but one question; have they changed the rules and are allowing more than five players on the court at one time? Inquiring minds want to know.:confused:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
No offense scgamecock -- and I want to add I enjoy reading posts from you and triaad and other non-favorite-UConn fans. But I would have asked simialr question(s) that the poster rw did. I wouldn't have meant it as sarcasm / tough etc. When you say the following:

" . . . but she's also good facing the basket. She has a nice jumper inside and behind the arc.. just needs consistency . . ."

When you say above ---and we're all in the spirit of discussing "basketball" (for example we've had fun arguments on this board about size - some posters love big, others like "quick" etc),--- you said to paraphrase "White is GOOD facing the basket." Then you say "She just needs consistency."

I think what you say -- how I look at it- it's a contradiction because you can't be good at something like shooting if you aren't consistent unless you're a "consistent" "streak shooter." And even a long long long long time ago when I was much younger I can remember hearing for example how players hit their ft's in practice. Go into a game and they just can't hit with consistency. In terms of a basketball discussion on this site- I would disagree with anyone that says/categorizes/defines someone is "good facing the basket" combining that with "having a nice shot from behind the arc" then saying "they lack consistency." IMO lacking consistency can not make someone "good" at it. They have "potential." But potential is highly overrated until it is realized.

SO if you disagree with this- it's what this board is partially about - we can discuss-- not slamming you. For me- I don't agree with how you are in a way defining practices then drawing a conclusion that "she is good facing the basket" unless you saw her overseas nailing a few vs good competition- then unless you have -- as rw suggested I'm going to be skeptical too but not slamming you. IMO a player shoots near 80% ft accuracy in practice but is 55% in games is NOT a "GOOD" ft shooter.

Thanks for the reply. We can agree to disagree. No problem.

A particular poster asked me what skills White possessed and I told him/her what I saw in practice. My post was NEVER about in game because White hasn't been on the floor enough for me to develop an opinion on her in game potential.

Another poster saw my comment and proceeded to sarcastically ask questions about Jatarie's shooting from last season (which I thought was unfair because she was injured/sick for about 75% of the season). Essentially trying to discredit my claims on White... which is fine, but don't be snide about it.

IMO my original post was taken out of context. I was not trying to call White some all world 3 point shooter or say that she's going to shoot teams out of the gym from behind the arc... I never said that. I was simply asked what skills White has and I answered that. For the record, as a former athlete, when I say a player has a "nice shot" I'm talking about more than her accuracy. I'm talking about her form, how she approaches the line, her arc, how comfortable she is shooting etc... My fault for assuming people would understand that. I'll be more specific in the future.

So when I look at Jatarie, I see a player with good shooting form and footwork going into the shot, she's comfortable facing the basket and she can shoot threes... again, she's not consistent enough to become a legit 3point threat in the scouting report but AT PRACTICE.. I see her shoot threes and she looks good shooting them. We all know practice is different than the game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Excellent observation-SC lacks the ability to space the floor. This has been a two year problem and when you go back and look at all the SC defeats and close games (Kentucky & Duke) in the past two years you will clearly see that the defensive game plan is to consistently have ALL 5 defensive players with a foot in the paint. It has been 3 recruiting classes now and Dawn has failed to deliver a recruit that can be considered a legit floor spacer ( 3 Pt. threat). IMO this is what will ultimately keep SC from winning a NC.

Thats what transfers are for :cool:

Reaction Score
Thanks for the reply. We can agree to disagree. No problem.

A particular poster asked me what skills White possessed and I told him/her what I saw in practice. My post was NEVER about in game because White hasn't been on the floor enough for me to develop an opinion on her in game potential.

Another poster saw my comment and proceeded to sarcastically ask questions about Jatarie's shooting from last season (which I thought was unfair because she was injured/sick for about 75% of the season). Essentially trying to discredit my claims on White... which is fine, but don't be snide about it.

IMO my original post was taken out of context. I was not trying to call White some all world 3 point shooter or say that she's going to shoot teams out of the gym from behind the arc... I never said that. I was simply asked what skills White has and I answered that. For the record, as a former athlete, when I say a player has a "nice shot" I'm talking about more than her accuracy. I'm talking about her form, how she approaches the line, her arc, how comfortable she is shooting etc... My fault for assuming people would understand that. I'll be more specific in the future.

So when I look at Jatarie, I see a player with good shooting form and footwork going into the shot, she's comfortable facing the basket and she can shoot threes... again, she's not consistent enough to become a legit 3point threat in the scouting report but AT PRACTICE.. I see her shoot threes and she looks good shooting them. We all know practice is different than the game.

Since I came up in this post, I feel the need to reply.
In your original post, you stated "She has a nice jumper inside and behind the arc.." Since you didn't qualify this as to where or when these jumpers occurred, my thinking was that you were referring to what White actually did while playing in a game. When I could not find any evidence that pointed to White having any kind of a shot from behind the arc at all, I (the snide responder) challenged the accuracy of the claim. You subsequently added that your original statement pertains to what you saw at practices, "again, she's not consistent enough to become a legit 3point threat in the scouting report but AT PRACTICE.. I see her shoot threes and she looks good shooting them. We all know practice is different than the game".
Fair enough.
What I find most interesting, in your most recent post, is that you go on to deny something that no one has accused you of.
"I was not trying to call White some all world 3 point shooter or say that she's going to shoot teams out of the gym from behind the arc... I never said that". I agree, you never said or even implied that. But then, no one ever accused you of saying or implying that. So I'm not sure why you would issue a denial. You only stated that "She has a nice jumper inside and behind the arc.." That was the only statement, that you made, that was challenged.
Now that I'm responding, I have to ask you about a post you made yesterday. It was this, "Dawn's offensive strategy is to work around the paint and move from high percentage shots to low percentage shots." Did you mean that having the ball worked around from a high percentage shot to a low percentage shot was: 1) an actual strategy 2) a transposition of high and low or 3) something that I just don't understand.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thats what transfers are for :cool:
Gray? Yes Davis? No-not accurate enough. By the time both are eligible Wilson will be a Junior, Coates a Senior and the current best player Mitchell will have graduated. That is why it should have been addressed in one of the last three SC recruiting classes.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
What I find most interesting, in your most recent post, is that you go on to deny something that no one has accused you of.
"I was not trying to call White some all world 3 point shooter or say that she's going to shoot teams out of the gym from behind the arc... I never said that". I agree, you never said or even implied that. But then, no one ever accused you of saying or implying that. So I'm not sure why you would issue a denial. You only stated that "She has a nice jumper inside and behind the arc.." That was the only statement, that you made, that was challenged.
Now that I'm responding, I have to ask you about a post you made yesterday. It was this, "Dawn's offensive strategy is to work around the paint and move from high percentage shots to low percentage shots." Did you mean that having the ball worked around from a high percentage shot to a low percentage shot was: 1) an actual strategy 2) a transposition of high and low or 3) something that I just don't understand.

I issued that denial to make it extremely clear to anybody else following along before they send me a quoted response and I'm stuck repeating myself and the purpose of my original post... It was needed since it's obvious I wasn't clear enough before.

To answer your question... I'll be clear again. Dawn's offensive philosophy is to work the ball inside (high percentage shots) and score. If there are no options inside then work the ball out to a guard for three or jumper (low percentage shots) from high post (something SC doesn't execute well, but they're getting better). If you look at SC play then you'll notice the ball is always intended to go inside, our guards don't shoot threes and 15 ft jumpers until late in the shot clock.

That's where Dawn believes her team strength lies (inside), so for now that's her offensive strategy. It hasn't always been that way. A few years ago we were a guard-based team and we relied on outside shots heavily. A good coach will make adjustments to his/her teams strengths.

That was all I meant. Nothing more or less.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
She has great foot work and post moves under the basketball... but she's also good facing the basket. She has a nice jumper inside and behind the arc.. just needs consistency. She'll mostly be under the goal for (SC) this year but the threat of her going outside and scoring is there.. unlike with Coates.

MoJeff and Stewie.JPG

Is it me or does this description sound just like UConn's Morgan Tuck..?
;) (Just the bold parts....sub in UConn for SC....)

Last year's highlights:
1. 25.5 minutes per game, started 37 of 39
2. 562 points or 14.4 per game
3. 216 rebounds, 115 assists (3rd on team)
4. 21 three pt baskets, including 4-7 in the Final Four :cool:
5. 66.3% accuracy inside the 3 pt arc, 75% from free throw (63-84)
6. 79 offensive rebounds (2nd on team)
7. For Team USA, 4 Gold Medals :)

Go Morgan..!!
Go Huskies..!!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Gray? Yes Davis? No-not accurate enough. By the time both are eligible Wilson will be a Junior, Coates a Senior and the current best player Mitchell will have graduated. That is why it should have been addressed in one of the last three SC recruiting classes.

I expect her (Davis) shooting numbers to increase once she is playing with Gray, Coates, and Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom