2014 SF Kelly Oubre interview - doesn't even mention Uconn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2014 SF Kelly Oubre interview - doesn't even mention Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be to worried about this. He's a major priority for the staff.

Reaction Score
About 10 days ago he said we were recruiting him the hardest in a couple interviews. I think it just slipped his mind, at least that's what I hope.

Reaction Score
Abdul-Malik-Abu. Fits in snug ,plays like Blake griffin.as good as any big in his class. we would be so dynamic end to end
And he can really shoot it too. He'll be a great get for whichever school lands him.

Reaction Score
if we got either Abu or Black I honestly wouldn't be that pressed if we didn't land a C for this year. While I want Chukwu its hard to read anything into his recruitment and it appears he still a ways from deciding on anything.

Reaction Score
We are recruiting for more than 3 more spots, there is about a 0% chance both Daniels and Boat come back for their senior years.

Explain this to me: you argued vehemently a couple months ago that there was no way Shabazz would declare for the draft since his draft stock was so low. Now, with Daniels projected as a borderline first rounder and Boatright barely on the NBA's radar, you think there is a 0% chance they return for their senior seasons? As I've said before, I wouldn't be at all surprised if one or both of them decided to return.

Reaction Score
i think the only way dd comes back is if he gets hurt. he is lottery material potential. i realize your just egging me on...but anyway, boat i feel will be back becuase the 8 man we put out this year wont allow him enough ball in hand time to score or assist enough to raise his stock a ton. his sr year he could start at the 1 with omar/purvis next to him. that will be his time to shine as the 1 guard. i think he realizes this but always strives to blow up asap. he will develope under ko very well. just give it time.

the big question this fall is with a full roster does ko like nolan and brimah enough where we go back to being uconn or are we still playing hyper offense size wise. we won a ship playing olander at the 4 for 10 minutes a game and then sitting him. its all about lenght and that pick and pop game he has for little spurts of time. i would love nothing more to run bazz-omar-dd-olander-nolan to start with facey in for olander splitting time at pf, brimah backing up nolan and olander also at the 5, boat as the 6th man scorer off the bench and gif as our wing back up. i think thats a killer lineup this season. its going to be a year or 2 before smauel is ready for serious minutes. purvis is a rs and leon unless he has a kemba off season is not getting time with this lineup. kromah is the 10man in a evans role who can earn his way to more time. i like what we have.

If by "back to being uconn", you mean handicapping ourselves severely offensively with two non-entities offensively, then I sure hope we don't go back to being UConn.

Reaction Score
As for Oubre, I think he's more of a luxury than a neccesity at this point in time. He'd be a nice get for sure, but with Purvis, Calhoun, and Hamilton figuring to log the lions share of the minutes on the wing, it's not devastating if we don't grab him. Our three priorities for 2014 should be Black, Abu, and Chukwu in that order, and then another PG.

Reaction Score
The player i'd like to get probably more than any other is Devin Robinson. There is a video where he is jumping laterally to block a kids shot and his head is level with the rim. He looks like a 6'8" Jeremy Lamb

Reaction Score
I'm with you guys on Devin Robinson, he looks like a kid who is just scratching the surface and will become a star, I hope Ollie goes all in on him.

Reaction Score
The player i'd like to get probably more than any other is Devin Robinson. There is a video where he is jumping laterally to block a kids shot and his head is level with the rim. He looks like a 6'8" Jeremy Lamb

Yea once he mentioned to CBS a couple months back that he wanted to visit UConn during the summer I watched a bunch of his vids from this past HS season on youtube and he looks impressive. Don't know what things are looking like now but UConn was the first high major to offer him.

Reaction Score
Explain this to me: you argued vehemently a couple months ago that there was no way Shabazz would declare for the draft since his draft stock was so low. Now, with Daniels projected as a borderline first rounder and Boatright barely on the NBA's radar, you think there is a 0% chance they return for their senior seasons? As I've said before, I wouldn't be at all surprised if one or both of them decided to return.
What does me knowing that Shabazz was going to come back have to do with me thinking there is close to a 0% chance that both Daniels and Boatright come back? I would be pretty surprised if Daniels comes back, I'm expecting him to have a big year, Boat has talked about leaving since his freshman year.

Reaction Score
What does me knowing that Shabazz was going to come back have to do with me thinking there is close to a 0% chance that both Daniels and Boatright come back? I would be pretty surprised if Daniels comes back, I'm expecting him to have a big year, Boat has talked about leaving since his freshman year.

All I'm saying is your logic doesn't add up. Did you have inside information Shabazz was returning, or were you just opperating on a hunch? If it's the latter, I'm sure that hunch was predicated primarily on the fact that he wasn't a projected first round pick. Boatright is in a similar situation. Sure, he may have professed his desires to go pro, but a lot can change in 12 months. If next year at this time he's presented a choice between his senior year at UConn and a career in Europe, he may sing a different tune.

Reaction Score
The last time we got a kid with the same initials as Kelly Oubre, things worked out pretty well. Hell we could even sell him on possibly becoming the head coach in 20 years, after a long prosperous NBA career.

Reaction Score
this was probably his 10th interview in a row, think about rival, scout, and a zillion bloggers/ independent cites talking to him. i would not read to much into it. if he leaves us out for the next few weeks, then sure it is a problem

Reaction Score
I think the difference is how open Boat has been about going to the NBA. When a player comes out and says that he has one more year left(while still having 2 years of eligibility), I start to have the thought that this is the last year we're going to see him in a Husky uniform. Even if he is isn't a 1st round pick after the year is over, I could see him going the Isaiah Thomas(U Dubb version) route and going pro regardless of where he's going to be picked.

All I'm saying is your logic doesn't add up. Did you have inside information Shabazz was returning, or were you just opperating on a hunch? If it's the latter, I'm sure that hunch was predicated primarily on the fact that he wasn't a projected first round pick. Boatright is in a similar situation. Sure, he may have professed his desires to go pro, but a lot can change in 12 months. If next year at this time he's presented a choice between his senior year at UConn and a career in Europe, he may sing a different tune.

Reaction Score
I think the difference is how open Boat has been about going to the NBA. When a player comes out and says that he has one more year left(while still having 2 years of eligibility), I start to have the thought that this is the last year we're going to see him in a Husky uniform. Even if he is isn't a 1st round pick after the year is over, I could see him going the Isaiah Thomas(U Dubb version) route and going pro regardless of where he's going to be picked.

That's certainly a valid position to take, all I'm saying is I wouldn't rule out a return. He had inklings of leaving after his freshman season, and then he implied last off-season that his sophomore season at UConn may well be his last. I just think you have to take what a player says with a grain of salt - the odds are definitely in favor of him leaving after this season, but I don't think we should discount the possibility that he's back in the fold next season purely on the basis of a talented player eager to provide for himself/his family, specifically when there are a lot of mouths to feed next season (I wouldn't be shocked if he was our fourth leading scorer) and a plunge down the draft boards isn't out of the question. Don't get me wrong, I hope he blows up next season and has a long NBA career, I just think the talk of him 100% being out the door is premature.

Reaction Score
All I said was I think the chances of both guys coming back is close to 0%. Sure one of them could come back but thinking both will is foolish. My guess is they are both gone and Ollie is going to sign a big class.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Im not totally convinced Brimah will give us anything till year 3.

I think he gives UCONN five fouls at the very least. I would guess in the first year he plays only in non conference games that UCONN is winning big. But who knows he could surprise.

My guess is UCONN goes to a three guard and two big's this season.

Reaction Score
I think he gives UCONN five fouls at the very least. I would guess in the first year he plays only in non conference games that UCONN is winning big. But who knows he could surprise.

My guess is UCONN goes to a three guard and two big's this season.
I agree if you consider Daniels a big. Bazz, Boat, Omar and Daniels are starting.

Reaction Score
All I said was I think the chances of both guys coming back is close to 0%. Sure one of them could come back but thinking both will is foolish. My guess is they are both gone and Ollie is going to sign a big class.

One stays +200

Both leave: -250

Both stay: +600

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I agree if you consider Daniels a big. Bazz, Boat, Omar and Daniels are starting.

You have to consider Daniels a big unless someone steps up in the front court but not sure that will happen this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom