2014 NBA draft is loaded RB and DD may need to return | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2014 NBA draft is loaded RB and DD may need to return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Right, he basically just sucks I guess. I think some of you are significantly under rating Deandre. He may not have a year as good as Donyell's jr. Year but I won't be surprised if it's close.

We do not think he sucks at all. I think he will be great this year. Skills and positions just don't always transfer to the NBA, hopefully I'm wrong in this case.

pj

Reaction Score
KO's system will prepare DeAndre well for the NBA. He's improved his NBA stature much more by playing the 4 in college than the 3. Perimeter ballhandlers are a dime a dozen, but tall lengthy guys who can play everywhere on the court, including close to the basket, are rare. Deandre really struggled with big guys for nearly two seasons but he's coming into his own. He can create a mismatch with nearly any defender, and he has the length to bother perimeter guys even if he is a bit slower than them.

Shabazz is a first-round pick and will have a long career. Very heady player and great shooter and distributor.

RB would probably benefit from a fourth year but we'll see, it looks like his point guard abilities may be much improved this year.

Reaction Score
I also think that DD will have a fantastic year but I just think that this years draft class is just too loaded for him to be a lottery pick

Reaction Score
KO's system will prepare DeAndre well for the NBA. He's improved his NBA stature much more by playing the 4 in college than the 3. Perimeter ballhandlers are a dime a dozen, but tall lengthy guys who can play everywhere on the court, including close to the basket, are rare. Deandre really struggled with big guys for nearly two seasons but he's coming into his own. He can create a mismatch with nearly any defender, and he has the length to bother perimeter guys even if he is a bit slower than them.

I just don't think you appreciate the difference in size, strength, and skill between college basketball and the NBA.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Everyone except our Huskies could tear their ACL's and then we'd have DD at 1, Bazz at 2, and Boat at 3. Niels would sneak in at 10 or 11.

Reaction Score
ESPN’s Chad Ford Evaluates Pro Prospects: Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright, DeAndre Daniels

On Ryan Boatright:
“Right now he’s considered a borderline NBA prospect. He’s got quickness and speed. But his lack of a consistent jumper combined with his lack of size aren’t helping his cause. It’s not impossible to make the leap at that size. Scouts are excited about Arizona State’s Jahii Carson, for example, and he’s Boatright’s size. But if you’re going to be under six feet, you have do everything else well to succeed.”
On DeAndre Daniels:
“He’s been about upside his whole career. The physical tools are clearly there. It’s all aboutconsistency for him. Can he bring it for 40 minutes every night? He can be invisible at times and that’s a big issue. He also needs to continue to improve that jumper. He has first round potential, but as a junior he now has to live up to the potential.”
On Shabazz Napier:
“Scouts are very divided on him. Some like him, because of his natural scoring instincts and his ability to play lock down defense when he wants to. Others are concerned with his decision making and shot selection. While he’s a good scorer, is he good enough to overcome the fact that he doesn’t really play like a point guard. I think he’s probably a second round pick though I do know a few NBA teams that have him projected in the late first round.”

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What's your scouting report on Dario Saric?

i know he can shoot and has decent athleticism, great size for a three at a solid 6'10. the one question is competition, his whole career he's played against inferior opponents. this season he's playing in the best league in europe so his draft stock could rise or fall depending on how he plays this year. he was also going to be a surefire lottery pick this year before he went back to europe, one of the only players to stop working at the combine early cause he got a promise from a lottery team. also heard that a lot of teams like him. why he went back to europe you might ask, some people said he still needed to polish his game but no one really knows

Reaction Score
this is my mock, i got daniels at 15

Phoenix Suns Andrew Wiggins

Philadelphia Sixers Dante Exum

Orlando Magic Julius Randle

Utah Jazz Jabari Parker

Boston Celtics Joel Embiid

Charlotte Bobcats Marcus Smart

Detroit Pistons Glenn Robinson III

Milwaukee Bucks Andrew Harrison

Portland Trail Blazers Willie Cauley-Stein

Toronto Raptors Aaron Gordon

Denver Nuggets Gary Harris

Los Angeles Lakers Mitch McGary

Atlanta Hawks Dario Saric

Minnesota Timberwolves Aaron Harison

Phoenix Suns Deandre Daniels

Dallas Mavericks Montrezl Harrell

Cleveland Cavaliers Wayne Selden

Philadelphia Sixers Mario Hezonja

Los Angeles Clippers Aaron Harrison

Detroit Pistons Doug McDermott

Golden State Warriors Shabazz Napier

Phoenix Suns Isaiah Austin

Houston Rockets Aaron Craft

Orlando Magic Jahii Carson

Memphis Grizzlies Rodney Hood

Boston Celtics Spencer Dinwiddie

Los Angeles Clippers James Michael McAdoo

Chicago Bulls Kaleb Tarczewski

Oklahoma City Thunder T.J. Warren

Phoenix Suns Adreian Payne

First off, you have Aaron Harrison in there twice. Michael-McAdoo will probably be a lottery pick based off athleticism and potential alone, and back to DD. He just will not go that high without serious improvement in ball handle/security and strength. As a 3 he will have to go up against the Lebrons, Durants and Iguodalas,who could all throw him around the floor, just to name a few.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
First off, you have Aaron Harrison in there twice. Michael-McAdoo will probably be a lottery pick based off athleticism and potential alone, and back to DD. He just will not go that high without serious improvement in ball handle/security and strength. As a 3 he will have to go up against the Lebrons, Durants and Iguodalas,who could all throw him around the floor, just to name a few.

you are correct, i will update it later. however if JMM has another disappointing year i don't believe there is a chance he goes snywhere near the lottery. so i'm basically predicting another bad year out of him. the thing with deandre is i think he will go somewhere just outside the lottery, but he will be a bad nba player for the reasons you named and lack of a three point shoot. i think he goes there just because he's one of those guys who will put up big numbers in college and a team will take a chance on the potential.

Reaction Score

If James Michael McAdoo was going to be a lottery pick based on those two factors then he would've went into the draft last year. JMM is a tweener, he's not really a PF in the NBA based on his size and the fact that he can't score in the post, and he definitely can't play on the wing in the league. There isn't a GM alive who would take him in the lottery as of today. He has alot to prove this year.

Reaction Score
It is great to talk some NBA and early departures (Boat & DD) during the summer. Once November rolls around wouldn't it be great to focus more on the team dynamic not individual NBA aspirations which have a tendency to breed selfishness and a disconnect from team in some players. Just root for both of them to blow up and let the chips fall where they may. It is way to early to make projections on Daniels.

JMHO per the usual...

Reaction Score
ESPN’s Chad Ford Evaluates Pro Prospects: Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright, DeAndre Daniels

On Ryan Boatright:
“Right now he’s considered a borderline NBA prospect. He’s got quickness and speed. But his lack of a consistent jumper combined with his lack of size aren’t helping his cause. It’s not impossible to make the leap at that size. Scouts are excited about Arizona State’s Jahii Carson, for example, and he’s Boatright’s size. But if you’re going to be under six feet, you have do everything else well to succeed.”
On DeAndre Daniels:
“He’s been about upside his whole career. The physical tools are clearly there. It’s all aboutconsistency for him. Can he bring it for 40 minutes every night? He can be invisible at times and that’s a big issue. He also needs to continue to improve that jumper. He has first round potential, but as a junior he now has to live up to the potential.”
On Shabazz Napier:
“Scouts are very divided on him. Some like him, because of his natural scoring instincts and his ability to play lock down defense when he wants to. Others are concerned with his decision making and shot selection. While he’s a good scorer, is he good enough to overcome the fact that he doesn’t really play like a point guard. I think he’s probably a second round pick though I do know a few NBA teams that have him projected in the late first round.”

This has me scratching my head, almost as if this write up was from a year ago. Questionable decision making and shot selection? I don't see it. His basketball IQ is among the highest in the country - if he doesn't make an NBA roster it will be because of his height and athleticism.

Reaction Score
This has me scratching my head, almost as if this write up was from a year ago. Questionable decision making and shot selection? I don't see it. His basketball IQ is among the highest in the country - if he doesn't make an NBA roster it will be because of his height and athleticism.

Chad Ford...

Reaction Score

The Napier scouting report would make sense if it came from somebody who didn't watch a single minute of Uconn basketball last year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've kept a few games from last season on the DVR. Last night I watched the UConn - Cuse game. What a difference DD was in his final four games from this one. On the other hand RB and OC were very good in this game. I'm excited what this years team can accomplish if multiple players can bring their A game against opponents.

What does this have to do with the NBA? I think I'm going to reserve judgement on DD's future. The presumption is he has reached his upside in the final four games. I'm not certain that's the case. DD has the Ben Gordon type of personality and he is just beginning to believe in himself and become assertive. I believe the DD at the end of this upcoming season will prove that in the final four games of last season he was just scratching the surface of his potential.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Napier is a known commodity, I would bet the house he's late first or early second at the latest. the issues people constantly bring up on the boneyard-- like size and 'athleticism'-- aren't even an issue. I believe scouts want to see him make his teammates better and ditch the ball hog rep( something he unfairly gained during the drummond year). Boatright I'm weary of , but who knows... That isiah Thomas kid on the kings has basically turned into an elite guard.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty Napier is a known commodity, I would bet the house he's late first or early second at the latest. the issues people constantly bring up on the boneyard-- like size and 'athleticism'-- aren't even an issue. I believe scouts want to see him make his teammates better and ditch the ball hog rep( something he unfairly gained during the drummond year). Boatright I'm weary of , but who knows... That isiah Thomas kid on the kings has basically turned into an elite guard.

This is who I always compare Boat to, Thomas is pretty much the same size, same build and the same kind of athleticism. He also had the same knocks against him that Boat did through his first two years, too single minded on scoring, played out control, etc. He then made that soph to junior year jump that we saw out of Kemba and Bazz and was arguably the best PG in the Pac 10. He then went pro because he knew he wasn't going to grow anymore so he figured he might as well start his career now. If the draft was redone he would be a 1st rounder, he's pretty much made Jimmer irrelevant on that Kigns squad. I don't want to get too much ahead but it wouldn't surprise me if Boat followed the same path.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I think they should probably both come back unless DD has a 22/8 kind of season. I think 15/6 is a little more likely.

Reaction Score
@aceboon , but can boat make the commitment on bustin his on defense and playmaking? That's the question really. I could see it. Daniels is first round talent, you don't need to be a wiz wih the rock if youre just hitting open jumpers and little post ups. lots of sf's have games akin to dd-- Ariza, al Farouq aminu?, harkless. dd just needs to show he's a big time shot maker IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom