2013 / 2014 can be really special | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2013 / 2014 can be really special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Both kids draft status could improve dramatically if they can lead UConn to a special bounce back season next year and be the main reason it happened!! Not sure how high but to prove you can lead is always a plus in their eyes and they have a chance to do so!!

Reaction Score
Our best four players next year (Bazz, Boat, DD and OC) all play the 1, 2, or 3. Without a very solid player or two at the 4 and 5 it will still be a struggle. I think Wolf will be decent center next year. If someone steps up and plays the PF position well that will make a huge difference. DD is not a 4, he is a 3 and will never have the size and strength to be a truly effective power forward. Who steps up at the 4? TO? Nolan? Facey? I think that is the X factor.

IMO, we are a Roscoe away from being pretty good this year.

Reaction Score
It's possible that next year could be special. Remember KW made a huge jump from his 2 to 3rd year. He became a much better shooter and leader. Could we see a huge jump from Boat? He has the athletic ability, DD has made a nice jump from year 1 to 2. Could he make a similar jump next year, say for 10 pts to 17 points per game. Could OC go from 10 to 14 points and have a better handle., could SN become a better all around player, increase his assist and again ave. around 17. Could Facey come in and be the athletic 4/5 with a soft touch around the basket and give us 7-9 points per game and Wolf/TO give us 12 and 12 from the center position. I believe all of this could happen. So it is possible to have a special year.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
"IMO, we are a Roscoe away from being pretty good this year."

I agree . Next years team and win with the 4 and 5 spot being filled by committee .
In 2011 we had Ao , Roscoe , Tyler , Chuck with a little bit of Niels and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel sprinkled in.
Next year at the 4 and 5 you'll have a senior Tyler , senior Wolf , DD, Nolan , Facey and Brimah W/ Niels sprinkled in. That's not bad.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Ollie: “Kentan Facey has just got a relentless motor. He loves the game and it shows every time you see him out on the court. The energy he exudes, playing with passion, running and diving and talking – everything you want in a big. He has an upside on the offensive end. If he comes in and works on his body and gets bigger, he can make some money playing basketball after he’s done playing here. I love the kid, love talking to him and everything about him.”

--------------------

this may be our missing link. DD is going to get stronger, he may even be our next great wing. Wolf is going to improve again and be better than he is this year. Tyler may eventually find that confidence in himself to be the player KO thinks he can be, and Facey hopefully has the Jeff Adrien motor we're lacking down low. If he does, everyone else will be better too

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I don't think KO is going to let the Nappier / Boatright NBA talk hold the 2013 - 2014 season hostage. He can't afford to . He'll recruit right over that situation in a hurry. Next season is too pivotal to the survival of the program and his job.

Reaction Score
One thing I haven't seen mentioned (here and by the beat writers) is the chance that Daniels ops for the NBA after this year. I realize he isn't having the season statistically Boat/Bazz are having, but as we know, the draft is about potential. He's the guy that is on the draft boards for this year, albeit not in a good position.

Reaction Score
I just don't see the 2013-14 team being a legit contender. Just not enough in the frontcourt.
This is my opinion. too. Arguing that UConn will be a contender means that you'll be getting an awful lot of front court help from a couple of guys who are generally regarded as being not quite ready for prime time, and a couple of guys who clearly haven't been all that good. Even with Boatright and Napier back, this team is going to be more along the line of a Sweet 16 at best rather than a Final Four team.

Reaction Score
I have VERY high hopes for next year providing everyone stays. Wolf is steadily improving and with the rest of the front court adding some weight in the offseason, as well as Facey, we could be in for a special year.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I think people are also factoring in the upperclassmens physical maturity . You have to factor in some loses this year being based on facing stronger kids. Plus , most people are looking at Shabazz , Boatright ,DD , wolf and Omar and projecting improvement based simply on one more year of weight room. This has happened with notable players before. Kemba got better as he got stronger. Jerome , AJ, Thabeet , Hilton , Stanley , etc. There's a reason why are current guys are all labeled 3-4 year players and for most of them the pay - off year is next year.

Reaction Score
This is my opinion. too. Arguing that UConn will be a contender means that you'll be getting an awful lot of front court help from a couple of guys who are generally regarded as being not quite ready for prime time, and a couple of guys who clearly haven't been all that good. Even with Boatright and Napier back, this team is going to be more along the line of a Sweet 16 at best rather than a Final Four team.
I could go for a S16 team. But since we aren't Syracuse, I'd prefer a FF. I agree with your assessment, but an upset or two changes everything.

D

Deleted member 3149

I could go for a S16 team. But since we aren't Syracuse, I'd prefer a FF. I agree with your assessment, but an upset or two changes everything.
When we won the national championship in 2011, our starting center was Tyler Olander . Sometimes Chuck Okwandu would start...

Reaction Score
Ollie: “this may be our missing link. DD is going to get stronger, he may even be our next great wing. Wolf is going to improve again and be better than he is this year. Tyler may eventually find that confidence in himself to be the player KO thinks he can be, and Facey hopefully has the Jeff Adrien motor we're lacking down low. If he does, everyone else will be better too

Again, I admire your optimism, but Jeff Adrien takes dumps that weigh more than Facey. He's not going to come in and start bodying people in the paint.

willie99

Reaction Score
Again, I admire your optimism, but Jeff Adrien takes dumps that weigh more than Facey. He's not going to come in and start bodying people in the paint.

what special players and special seasons did you see coming before they came? what calls did you make?

Of course, throughout this thread I only talked about potential for success while you prefer to emphasize the potential for mediocrity. You even suggested kids don't improve from year to year. My optimism is based on history and tradition, can't speak for where your pessimism comes from.

Recent calls I made in very similar circumstances: 2010/2011 was going to be an improvement from 2009/2010. We were going to benefit from addition by subtraction and our leadership and chemistry can only improve. Most people didn't share my optimism. We lost our leading scorers and they didn't like our freshmen class, we lost out on all the top recruits (except 1) and the program was in decline. Of course, nobody could predict how much better we would eventually be.

I said the 07/08 team would be much better than the 06/07 team if only because everyone was going to be one year older. I think optimism was split that year

I see no reason to not be optimistic.

Reaction Score
To be honest , our players haven't developed at the clip I was expecting. Giffey is nothing more than a statue out there. Daniels is still a broomstick and goes in/out games mentally, though only a sophmore. Olander has been here 3 years and still looks the same physically. Napiers been hobbled but is a better shooter. Maybe it's the lack of competition for tick. it really pushes kids when you have to fight for minutes.

Reaction Score
When we won the national championship in 2011, our starting center was Tyler Olander . Sometimes Chuck Okwandu would start...

We had a very effective post player named Alex Oriakhi in the 2011 post season.

Reaction Score
what special players and special seasons did you see coming before they came? what calls did you make?
The 1999 Team was going to be good and everyone knew it. They were ranked in the top5 in every pre-season poll and had gotten to the Elite 8 the year before, so while I'm not sure anyone exactly believed UConn would win a national championship, and that had more to do with UConn's history than the team's ability, it wasn't like anyone didn't expect them to be a real contender. In 2004 they were again considered a true contender, and they were in 2006 as well, and many people thought they'd be a contender in 2009...really only 2011 was a surprise. I think most people though they were a year away from being a real contender. So 2011 was really the exception where the combination of the lack of a true dominant team and having the best player lead to a championship that was pretty unexpected.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If the bigs can play well, we'll go as far as Bazz and Boat and Omar.

willie99

Reaction Score
The 1999 Team was going to be good and everyone knew it. They were ranked in the top5 in every pre-season poll and had gotten to the Elite 8 the year before, so while I'm not sure anyone exactly believed UConn would win a national championship, and that had more to do with UConn's history than the team's ability, it wasn't like anyone didn't expect them to be a real contender. In 2004 they were again considered a true contender, and they were in 2006 as well, and many people thought they'd be a contender in 2009...really only 2011 was a surprise. I think most people though they were a year away from being a real contender. So 2011 was really the exception where the combination of the lack of a true dominant team and having the best player lead to a championship that was pretty unexpected.

who said anything about 1999? I said 97/98 was an incredible leap from the NIT season of 96/97

also talked about 01/02, not 03/04

and 07/08, not 05/06

every season I mentioned they exceeded their expectations by a significant amount. every season I mentioned they didn't do well the previous season and had the same core returning

you're talking about something totally different

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He'll look at it and he should, but hopefully he'll listen to Coach Calhoun's contacts (and perhaps Coach Ollie's) and realize that he'll maximize his return by waiting a year. If on the other hand, he's at close to peak value, and Calhoun will tell him so, then I wish him the best.

CL82

Reaction Score
While I'd love to see it, I think that's hopeful. Fact is, next year's team is going to be substantially the same as this year's team, but we'll be losing RJ and maybe Boat or Bazz. Essentially, it's this years team with 13 more games under their belts, with freshmen added. I don't really expect huge improvement from this year. If Boat leaves then I would expect that there would be a drop off from this year. Sure, guys will get a bit stronger and have a bit more experience, and Wolf's vertical may go up 25% to 5 inches, but that won't cure our basic ailment, which is the lack of a front court that can rebound effectively, score on occasion, and defend the paint.

What I expect to see is more of what we have this year, which is a great group of kids who are busting their asses to do the best with what they have, plus tournament incentive, which, for next year, should be stronger in them than in most others.

Boat has a very strong ego. Fact is, if he was thinking about going last year, he's probably thinking about it more now. I can't see him in the NBA, but I'm no pro scout. He seems to very much believe that that is where he should be, however, and, if people believe in something strongly enough, even if it's not true, they sometimes do irrational things.

Perhaps with the D-League players like Boat have substantially less risk by leaving early. Getting drafted and not making a starting roster is not nearly as detrimental to NBA aspirations as it was 20 years ago, where you would then disappear to Europe and likely never return. Adrien is a perfect example of a guy who was marginal, but, who through hard work and determination, used the D-League to prove his worth to the league. Given that the D-League truly is the echelon immediately below the NBA, it may even be a better proving ground for players than another year in college.

I'd say UConn is a 25-30 ranked team right now. If Boat comes back, I think we're 18-25 range next year, with a chance to run to the EE based on effort and feistyness, but with a sweet sixteen appearance being the mark of an excellent year and excellent progression under KO.

Oh. And I don't see Bazz leaving - too prudent and too much to gain by staying.
This doesn't give enough weight to playing time. Much to my surprise, Wolf is figuring it all out. Look for him to make the standard "sophmore" jump in BBIQ and fitness as this is his first year really being in the trenches. (Look for a dramatic improvement in Omar as well.) Also keep in mind that improving (hopefully) Nolan and the addition of Facey allows us to put both Wolf and Tyler on floor at the same time. That will up our physicality a lot and really help TO who is not a center but is a servicable PF. Keeping Boat and Bazz is key, though. They are the engine.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Coach Ollie's? I would hope KO is the first person he is going to regarding his NBA chances and what front offices think of him instead of Calhoun.

He'll look at it and he should, but hopefully he'll listen to Coach Calhoun's contacts (and perhaps Coach Ollie's) and realize that he'll maximize his return by waiting a year. If on the other hand, he's at close to peak value, and Calhoun will tell him so, then I wish him the best.

CL82

Reaction Score
Perhaps Coach Ollie's? I would hope KO is the first person he is going to regarding his NBA chances and what front offices think of him instead of Calhoun.
I suspect KO has established ties to the league that will tell him where our guys would end up. I know Calhoun does. There's no doubt in my mind that Calhoun will be a part of this process, especially for Bazz.

Reaction Score
I suspect KO has established ties to the league that will tell him where our guys would end up. I know Calhoun does. There's no doubt in my mind that Calhoun will be a part of this process, especially for Bazz.

The guy played for 13 years in the league and a majority of that at the end of his career was because of what front offices thought of him as a lockerroom guy, it should be obvious that he's developed a good rapport with NBA front offices, the OKC GM Sam Presti even said as much. Nevermind the fact that KO has direct and recent ties to the NBA, KO is his coach, not Calhoun. If Boat or Bazz are going to Calhoun first about what they should do as far as going pro KO should be offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom