2013-14 roster down to 8. | The Boneyard

2013-14 roster down to 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Does anyone really think Geno will have to go into that season with only 8 players?

I don't know who, but I would bet (if anyone cares to wager) that UConn adds 2+ players to that roster.

If WE all know that you need depth, then you can be sure Geno knows that as well. He has shown that he will not let that happen again.

Now, when the returning 8 players are Hartley, Dolson, Lewis, Stokes, Banks, Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson? Well, it's a nice start.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Hope you're right. I was concerned that the coaching staff wasn't in on enough players for 2013. The most I recall was 4 or 5 players with Diamond being the key. Lost Diamond to UNC.

Don't think I'm as comfortable about Erica McCall as I was a couple of weeks ago. Have to think she's a lean to Stanford.
Linnae Harper never have had good feelings about, she could end up at Tenn.
Saniya Chong, I do think ends up in Storrs, but who knows with the way this years recruiting is going.

I'll be surprised if Geno gets two recruits for this year, unless he gets a lower ranked player or possible walk on that later gets a scholarship.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Hope you're right. I was concerned that the coaching staff wasn't in on enough players for 2013. The most I recall was 4 or 5 players with Diamond being the key. Lost Diamond to UNC.

Don't think I'm as comfortable about Erica McCall as I was a couple of weeks ago. Have to think she's a lean to Stanford.
Linnae Harper never have had good feelings about, she could end up at Tenn.
Saniya Chong, I do think ends up in Storrs, but who knows with the way this years recruiting is going.

I'll be surprised if Geno gets two recruits for this year, unless he gets a lower ranked player or possible walk on that later gets a scholarship.

So, you will be willing to wager on that? You say 1 or less? I say 2 or more.

I win, you end every post you make with "Doggydaddy is always right".

You win, I end every post I make with "Wbbfan1 is an optomist".

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
You very possibly might end up being right, If Geno and the coaching staff end up taking a lower ranked player or someone like Fernandes who he gave a scholarship to.

From everything I've read and heard, the staff was looking at McCall, Harper and Chong. IMHO UConn won't get two of these players.

Unless Geno and the coaching staff knew Lauren was going to transfer and it was kept quiet, the coaching staff may not have been looking at additional players. Also the coaching staff has been busy with the National Team and how much recruiting have they done this year.

Just can't accept your bet :)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You very possibly might end up being right, If Geno and the coaching staff end up taking a lower ranked player or someone like Fernandes who he gave a scholarship to.

From everything I've read and heard, the staff was looking at McCall, Harper and Chong. IMHO UConn won't get two of these players.

Unless Geno and the coaching staff knew Lauren was going to transfer and it was kept quiet, the coaching staff may not have been looking at additional players. Also the coaching staff has been busy with the National Team and how much recruiting have they done this year.

Just can't accept your bet :)

Even I know they are looking at Cooper as well.

Geno's been busy. But I believe that Chris, Shea, Marissa et al, are doing their jobs. And I'm sure Geno can find the time to make phone calls if they are permissible.

"From everything I've read and heard" That's just it. We all seem to think that every player UConn is interested in is public knowledge.

Reaction Score
Geno's been busy. But I believe that Chris, Shea, Marissa et al, are doing their jobs. And I'm sure Geno can find the time to make phone calls if they are permissible.

didn't I read somewhere that Shea and Marissa are scouting for the US Team at the Olympics?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So, you will be willing to wager on that? You say 1 or less? I say 2 or more.

I win, you end every post you make with "Doggydaddy is always right".

You win, I end every post I make with "Wbbfan1 is an optomist".

If we got McCall, Chong and Harper I would write whatever you wanted. :)

However can't take the bet cause there is no way I would remember to write that every time.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

didn't I read somewhere that Shea and Marissa are scouting for the US Team at the Olympics?

You are correct

But I just have trouble believing that this time away is impacting their chances with any 2013 recruits. I would think any players UConn is looking at would understand that they can only call on the phone instead of visit until after the golf medal game...no?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If we got McCall, Chong and Harper I would write whatever you wanted. :)

However can't take the bet cause there is no way I would remember to write that every time.

Now Meyers, did I say 3 players? And did I say those players? I would write whatever anyone wanted with that group...lol.

And you can always change your signature line. You wouldn't have to remember then!

Reaction Score
I read somewhere the coaching staff was out recruiting last month. Also, isn't August considered the dead period? If so, recruiting is not being affected by the Olympics.

Reaction Score
Someone said Harper is a maybe to Tenn?? Oh I hope not. I had heard possibly N Dame..... Anyone hear anything else?

Reaction Score
they need at least 2 more players for practice.. will they go juco, unsigned seniors, or transfers or even transfers that are eligible immediately, hopefully something!!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
they need at least 2 more players for practice.. will they go juco, unsigned seniors, or transfers or even transfers that are eligible immediately, hopefully something!!!!
IMHO the JUCO route is unlikely. Was Rita Williams a JUCO? she may be the only one who's ever worked out. Rash Sadiq was the last one - she was one of the top JUCO players in the nation, and transferred after 1 year. AND she played in the post, which is "easier" than playing guard at UCONN.

I think in spite of what the reporters say, Geno is looking at more than just 3 players. He's overseas right now. I'm betting there's at least 1 foreign player with college eligibility who has caught his eye...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There are definitely some kids at the Olympic games who can play college ball. It would be a coup if Geno could snag one.

The eight kids projected to the roster would be favorites to win the whole thing, but a) indeed having another two for practice and emergency depth reasons would be good, and b) having no sophomores the following season, which should also have an NC-caliber starting five, could be really devastating to UConn's chances.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I understand Geno is smuggling back three foreign players from the Olympics using the team's equipment baggage.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think the UConn presence at the Olympics is great for recruiting.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Someone said Harper is a maybe to Tenn?? Oh I hope not. I had heard possibly N Dame..... Anyone hear anything else?

I have been hearing for a while that Harper is a Kentucky lean. Nothing in print, just chatter, amongst a few people I know that are in the know that work with high school ball.

Reaction Score
if lauren had gotten 11-12 minutes of floor time rather than 6.6 then maybe ......

Reaction Score
The coaching staff did apparently know what was going on with Lauren for some time, just didn't release the information.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Even I know they are looking at Cooper as well.

"From everything I've read and heard" That's just it. We all seem to think that every player UConn is interested in is public knowledge.
I hope you are right about Cooper. I had not heard that before.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I hope you are right about Cooper. I had not heard that before.

Fuller mentioned it in one of his blogs a while ago.

In her USA Basketball bio Cooper lists UCLA, Duke, Tennessee, Virginia, Louisville, Kentucky and Arizona State as her top schools but added "is still open and considering other schools as well." Cooper, a 6-3 post from Carson, Calif., said something rather interesting to me when I asked her about having more teams from the East on her list than those in Pac-12 territory. "I want to go more East Coast because it is more rough and tough basketball, the East Coast thing is what I want," Cooper said. Of course my next question concerned whether UConn has expressed interest and Cooper said they have.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Fuller mentioned it in one of his blogs a while ago.

In her USA Basketball bio Cooper lists UCLA, Duke, Tennessee, Virginia, Louisville, Kentucky and Arizona State as her top schools but added "is still open and considering other schools as well." Cooper, a 6-3 post from Carson, Calif., said something rather interesting to me when I asked her about having more teams from the East on her list than those in Pac-12 territory. "I want to go more East Coast because it is more rough and tough basketball, the East Coast thing is what I want," Cooper said. Of course my next question concerned whether UConn has expressed interest and Cooper said they have.
Thanks I remember that, but thought there was a lack of confirmation--or even a denial--of mutual interest.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Thanks I remember that, but thought there was a lack of confirmation--or even a denial--of mutual interest.

I thought I had read more about it, but can't find anything.

Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01