2 well known coaches (one WBB) hit 70 this year | The Boneyard

2 well known coaches (one WBB) hit 70 this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Was surprised to see that Coach Steve Spurrier, a coach that I like, has hit 70. I knew he wasn't young, but hadn't realized.

Likewise, on the WBB front, Coach Gary Blair turned 70 this month. I "think" he is probably the eldest of the WBB head coaches, at least in the major conferences.

Of course Coach K is only a couple of years away, Coach Jim Boeheim will be 71 in a couple of months and Football Head Coach Bill Snyder of Kansas State will be 76 in October.

Interesting to note is differing opinions regarding the effectiveness of these coaches as they age.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Coach K still is a decent coach at his advanced age .... at least in my opinion.
Honestly, age is only a number. Some coaches do appear to perform less well as they age, of course, but I'm not convinced it is an automatic. And yes, I think Coach K is still a great coach.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Coaching is one of those professions that I think is not over taxing physically or mentally and can be performed well into a persons dotage, if they still have the drive (and good assistants to do the dogs work.)

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Was surprised to see that Coach Steve Spurrier, a coach that I like, has hit 70. I knew he wasn't young, but hadn't realized.

Likewise, on the WBB front, Coach Gary Blair turned 70 this month. I "think" he is probably the eldest of the WBB head coaches, at least in the major conferences.

Of course Coach K is only a couple of years away, Coach Jim Boeheim will be 71 in a couple of months and Football Head Coach Bill Snyder of Kansas State will be 76 in October.

Interesting to note is differing opinions regarding the effectiveness of these coaches as they age.
Snyder is younger than four of our nine supreme court justices.

Reaction Score
Age is relative.

I disagree slightly with UcMiami about the level of stress that coaches are subjected to (not the stress of game day, but more the stress of travel, recruiting, making personal appearances.....) but coaches like Geno, those with solid support from their staff and institution, can be effective winners long past the age that we ask many of our fellow workers to fold up their tents.

Times have changed relative to how we view age and the effectiveness that we can bring to our work past the age of 65.

A generation ago we were middle-age at 45 and elderly at 65. Today "elderly" women jog past me in the mornings and retiree's are summitting mountain peaks and canoeing open rivers. My beloved grandmother was dottering at 65; she wasn't wearing Reeboks, bicycle shorts, an under armor top, and a headband as she peddled through a morning workout.

If Gary Blair, Coach K and Geno can maintain their desire to want to compete, and to tolerate the responsibilties that come with leading a power basketball program, then I see no reason to consider them old just because they reach the age when many others are forced to look for a new line of work.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Well, big deal! Lots of Boneyarders haven't seen 70, since Mars made its last 2 or 3 revolutions.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
If someone is still of sound mind and body there is no reason they shouldn't continue to work if they desire. Unless I win Powerball, I'd like to work until at least 70; about another 20 years.

Reaction Score
If someone is still of sound mind and body there is no reason they shouldn't continue to work if they desire. Unless I win Powerball, I'd like to work until at least 70; about another 20 years.
Repeat that again when Retirement age goes to 70 and you are 65.!!!

Reaction Score
Honestly, age is only a number. Some coaches do appear to perform less well as they age, of course, but I'm not convinced it is an automatic. And yes, I think Coach K is still a great coach.
Age actually is a number. But in some that number means the end is near in some the energy is gone in way too many the mind has declined. I didn't vote for McCain, and I honored him for his withstanding Hanoi Hilton, but like coaching high power, high expectation BB, Football, or soccer teams it takes ENERGY, sustained energy. Some fools hold on for the money, adoration, and not always whats best for the game.
Few are capable of doing this at 85 some not past 60. Coaches tend to mellow when they find it harder to bellow.
I hung around until there was enough in the kitty to rush to exit and never looked back.

Reaction Score
Age is relative.

I disagree slightly with UcMiami about the level of stress that coaches are subjected to (not the stress of game day, but more the stress of travel, recruiting, making personal appearances.....) but coaches like Geno, those with solid support from their staff and institution, can be effective winners long past the age that we ask many of our fellow workers to fold up their tents.

Times have changed relative to how we view age and the effectiveness that we can bring to our work past the age of 65.

A generation ago we were middle-age at 45 and elderly at 65. Today "elderly" women jog past me in the mornings and retiree's are summitting mountain peaks and canoeing open rivers. My beloved grandmother was dottering at 65; she wasn't wearing Reeboks, bicycle shorts, an under armor top, and a headband as she peddled through a morning workout.

If Gary Blair, Coach K and Geno can maintain their desire to want to compete, and to tolerate the responsibilties that come with leading a power basketball program, then I see no reason to consider them old just because they reach the age when many others are forced to look for a new line of work.

You must be reading actuary tables. People beyond 50 years ago, many people, who worked physical labor for 12 hours a day 6 days aweek. No jogging where you can stop or move--working with high demands on your energy. Then in their off hours they were AAU Gymnasts. Many lived past 90. The women who pushed pulled the covered wagons from the East Coast to the west didn't jog, they drove oxen or herded cattle 1000 miles---and then built log homes. If they died it was usually because of breached births. To day is no different from then except they worked physically harder and remained in shape. Heredity, genes, conditioning, etc huge factors--you can run your knees into replacement without actually lengthening your life. Some bodies have shorter warranty's than others.
My friend is 93, not dottering by any means, worked for 50 years then drove a school bus for the Clinton system until about 4 years ago then only because the bus company was afraid of parental push back--she was the only Special ED driver and drove them around the state to facilities. She wouldn't let Today show do a story on her for fear parents would demand she retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom