2 CT kids may be picked in the 1st round in 2013 | The Boneyard

2 CT kids may be picked in the 1st round in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bjoern Werner Salisbury, Connecticut (FSU)
recruit_werner_275.jpg

Projected Round: 1 #12 to the Saints

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

Reaction Score
Johnathan Jenkins Meriden, Connecticut (UGA)

11297806-large.jpg

Projected Round: 1 #17 to the Cowboys

Reaction Score
That's my alma mater. In that photo he is about to crush some from crosstown rival Hotchkiss, We had the worst football team in New England when I was there.

I think Bjorn is actually from Germany. We were recruiting him back in the day.

Yea he's from Germany and played for you guys his junior and senior year... Great player!

Reaction Score
It defies the English language to call Werner a "Connecticut kid."

Our staff knew he would be good, and wanted him, but he had no ties to the area and took what he perceived to be the best offer.

Reaction Score

Our staff knew he would be good, and wanted him, but he had no ties to the area and took what he perceived to be the best offer.

He had no ties to the area? Didn't he live in Connecticut for two years?

Reaction Score
I think we recruited both of these kids. Occassionally, we're going to lose in state recruits to the likes of FSU & Georgia.

Reaction Score

The kid played 2 years of football in Salisbury high school in Salisbury, (CT) so he has CT ties and this has nothing to do with my last post Mr. businesslawyer just shouting out the kids from CT who are having a pretty good career!

Reaction Score
A European kid going to a prep school in a corner of the state that thinks it is in New York does not give him ties to the State of Connecticut.

LOL. I don't know how you define "ties", but to me, going to school and living somewhere for two years means you have "ties" to that area.

Reaction Score
I think we recruited both of these kids. Occassionally, we're going to lose in state recruits to the likes of FSU & Georgia.

Jenkins graduated Maloney in 2009 and went to some community college in MS before UGA.

Reaction Score
FSU has an international thing going. Maybe we should do the same! We've started with Knappe. Bring in players from Mexico, Canada, Japan and Europe.

Reaction Score
A European kid going to a prep school in a corner of the state that thinks it is in New York does not give him ties to the State of Connecticut.

Really? I went to school there. From the hilltop you can look left and see NY, look right and see MA. But we never thought we were in NY. We may have been a bunch of preppies but we weren't geographically challenged.

We actually had a kid from Brooklyn that Calhoun was interested in, he scouted him in our gym at a game once. It was a pretty big deal.

On the weekends we even went to see the Whalers play a couple times every winter.

Reaction Score
Okay - Preppers have "CT ties" but are "NOT CT kid". No more than George Bush who was born in New Haven is a CT Guy (NOT A POLITICAL STATEMENT - DON"T THROW ME IN CESSPOOL!)

Reaction Score
Okay - Preppers have "CT ties" but are "NOT CT kid". No more than George Bush who was born in New Haven is a CT Guy (NOT A POLITICAL STATEMENT - DON"T THROW ME IN CESSPOOL!)

What if you're actually from CT. What is the qualification? Should I have "graduated" from Ansonia or from an NVL school?

Most kids that go to that school are from nearby Salisbury/Lakeville/Litchfield County or Fairfield County. Oh that's right, those places aren't CT either.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The kid could have been born at Hartford Hospital, grown up in East Hartford attended EO Smith... When Florida or Florida State come calling just assume they are leaving. Who could possibly blame them?

Reaction Score
What if you're actually from CT. What is the qualification? Should I have "graduated" from Ansonia or from an NVL school?

Most kids that go to that school are from nearby Salisbury/Lakeville/Litchfield County or Fairfield County. Oh that's right, those places aren't CT either.

??

He's from Germany. Why is it relevant where most of the kids at a prep school come from?

This is a dumb conversation and I'm out. He's not a CT kid, which was the title of the post. If you disagree, you're wrong. If you want to think he has "ties," that's great -- it's a vague word and I disagree. I don't have ties with Illinois because I often change planes in O'Hare.

Reaction Score
He's got ties. His only two years of HS football were played here. I can't recall a kid from Salisbury ever getting drafted into the NFL.

??

He's from Germany. Why is it relevant where most of the kids at a prep school come from?

This is a dumb conversation and I'm out. He's not a CT kid, which was the title of the post. If you disagree, you're wrong. If you want to think he has "ties," that's great -- it's a vague word and I disagree. I don't have ties with Illinois because I often change planes in O'Hare.

Reaction Score

Jimmy:

I understand your point and agree with it for the most part. But it just seems that Occassionally we get the CT player but most of the time we end up losing them to other schools who are coming into CT and easily poaching the few top flight CT players that we have. It is very rare that UCONN has gotten the highly regarded CT kids. The CT kids who we have gotten have either been under the radar types of a 2nd / 3rd Tier type. Some of the CT players we have gotten have turned out OK but we are not really serious contenders for the top flight CT recruits yet. Many schoold are coming into CT and without much dificulty, are getting our players. If this program is going to progress and grow, then we need to stop the exodus of CT talent. It was the same thing for Jimmy and the Men's Hoop team and they were largely successful in accomplishing this.
As an example, RU has been very successful in keeping more of the high quality Jersey talent to stay at home. It has no doubt contibuted greatly to their success.

Reaction Score

Dude - you can make a mess out of the most straight forward threads. Quite a skill!

Reaction Score
Dude - you can make a mess out of the most straight forward threads. Quite a skill!

The kid played football for 2 years at Salisbury high School and you guy's say he has no CT ties? You guys don't know if he had or has family in CT!

Sio Moore is from New Haven, CT (if some of you guys didn't know) and played 3 years of high school at North Carolina. And if you look at his bio it states he's from Apex, NC not CT, so he has NC ties are you going to disagree with that?

So Bjoern Werner is from CT just like Sio Moore is from NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak