1999 Kentucky game | The Boneyard

1999 Kentucky game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oh baby! This one has a little bit of everything - an opponent who doesn't know they can't win, two refs with new hand check fouls to call, or not, depending, a Geno ejection, young stars missing shots, passes, you name it. Let the tribulations begin. I think I'll watch this one a few times to toughen myself up.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Thank goodness, something from 1999. You're a prince.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
There's some pretty funny stuff about this game, and Geno's ejection in particular, in the A Season to Remember video about the 1999-2000 season (available at the UConn Husky Games website):

Sveta: "My first thought was, oh my God, CD's probably really mad at him right now."
CD: "'I'm gonna kill him' was my first thought."
Tamika: "We really thought he did it on purpose! We said, 'Do you think Coach did it on purpose just to test us?'"
Geno: "The only thought you have [is] you're embarrassed because you acted like a fool."

Pure gold.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Amazing that Kentucky ran way better offense then than they do now under Mitchells.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wow, what a fascinating game.
  • I would really, really like to hire a lip-reader to tell me what Geno told the refs to get himself ejected. The only line I could make out was when he said, immediately after the 2nd technical, "I'm not leaving."
  • How cool was it when Doris Burke makes mention of UConn's incoming top recruit by the name of Diana Taurasi.
  • The questionable calls definitely went both ways, perhaps none more questionable than an offensive foul called on Kentucky on what was a clear blocking foul on Sue Bird, late in the first half.
  • Kentucky was all kinds of fearless in this game. They showed every sign of being a program on the rise. They had every starter back from the previous year, when they won a game in the NCAA tournament. I was disappointed to look it up and find that they missed the tournament in 2000 and the next several years thereafter. I hold Bernadette Mattox in high esteem, and I don't know why things never took off for her at Kentucky. (Side note: If you haven't watched the ESPN mini-doc on "Coach Bernie", I highly recommend it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom