18 years later, Nykesha Sales still carries the weight of her record-breaking shot | The Boneyard

18 years later, Nykesha Sales still carries the weight of her record-breaking shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Standing off the first green at Dubsdread Golf Course near her Central Florida home, the 6-foot-tall Sales drained an impressive putt from the rough for a bogey five when one of her playing partners, a friendly middle-aged man from Harrisonburg, Va., approached her with a familiar refrain: "You look like you play basketball."

"I played a little bit," Sales replied coyly, greatly understating her dominance both in college and during her nine-year WNBA career. "I'm from Connecticut."

"Did you play at UConn?" the man prodded, twisting his face as if trying to coax his brain to put a name to Sales' recognizable face.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-ba...a-wildcats-nykesha-sales-geno-auriemma-022916

Reaction Score
Great article! Thanks so much for posting it. We can say what we want about Geno, but the guy doesn't duck:

"He was like, 'Who freaking cares?'" Sales said of Auriemma. "That was him: 'Don't even worry about it. It'll go away eventually. It's not for them, it's for us.' That was his attitude, and that's why people have this perception that he's a jerk, but at the end of the day, he'll protect his family."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The headline writer got the title wrong, I think. It sounds like the weight came off her shoulders long ago. But really nice piece and I liked the link to her Sun celebration as well.

Reaction Score
The only reason she's still "carrying the weight" is writers like this guy bringing it back up. There was nothing at all in his article that brought it up - just him.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
The only reason she's still "carrying the weight" is writers like this guy bringing it back up. There was nothing at all in his article that brought it up - just him.
exactly what I thought after I read it.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Her 46-point performance is on YouTube. If you ever needed a reminder as to just how good Sales was, that video will help.

Reaction Score
She brought a really good point about leaving on top. Sure she could have played 3 or 4 more years. But she left in her prime to preserve her legacy. I applaud her and other players such as Katie Douglas, Ruth Riley and recently Sophia Young-Malcolm for knowing when it bow out and pass the baton to the next generation.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Whenever I read again about Keesh breaking Kerry Bascom's UCONN record and the crap that she and Geno got nationwide about it, I am reminded that, around the same time, Bret Favre tanked to allow Michael Strahan to break the NFL record for sacks. Not a sound was uttered from the "Old Boy's Club"! Never could figure that one out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
She brought a really good point about leaving on top. Sure she could have played 3 or 4 more years. But she left in her prime to preserve her legacy.

She didn't leave on top, she was washed up and out of shape. And time hasn't changed the fact that they did Bascom wrong. I know the apologists like to say Kerry signed off on it, but what was she really going say? She should have never been put in that position.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She didn't leave on top, she was washed up and out of shape. And time hasn't changed the fact that they did Bascom wrong. I know the apologists like to say Kerry signed off on it, but what was she really going say? She should have never been put in that position.
Bitter much?

She continued playing in Europe/Asia for a number of years but she left the WNBA partly because her body couldn't take the 12 months a year any longer. I believe her last year of pro ball was 2013. Those teams are not known for charity - nor for paying out of shape washed up foreign players.

And I assume you are best friends with her to speak so knowingly for Kerry?

I like the fact that in the arena on the road she got a standing ovation for that basket.

Reaction Score
I photographed the St. Paul vs. Derby girls basketball Senior Night game. One of the SP seniors had occurred an ACL injury earlier in the year. She started the game walked under the basket, got the ball and made a layup. Derby then scored on the opposite end. Time out was called, the player came out to hugs and cheers then the game resumed.

See, Geno started a trend.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And time hasn't changed the fact that they did Bascom wrong. I know the apologists like to say Kerry signed off on it, but what was she really going say? She should have never been put in that position.
There are no apologists for that. No need to apologize. They did right by Sales and Bascom.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. I just finished watching the replay of the 98 UConn Stanford game included in this thread. Great memories.
I also remember Geno pointing out to all nattering nabobs of negativism that most of the loudest critics had never in their life even watched and women's game. Mike and the Mad Dog come to mind as fitting that category. I believe Geno went on their show and told them where to stick their negativity. (in a dignified way ;))

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
1998 UCONN vs Stanford Nykesha Sales scores 46

Thanks for posting that - I had never watched that game and it was a period when I was unable to see any of the broadcast games live. Such fun to see Sveta as a freshman, Page and Stacey before they were relegated to bench roles by the TASSK class, Amy who I am not sure I ever saw in a game, nor Rita. And Sales was pretty amazing!

Reaction Score
I was thinking of Nykesha's last basket last year when Lauren Hill made her "first" basket. The media made something of a story about Lauren's coach designing a play for her to get a clean layup. I thought what opposing player in their right mind would even guard her nor the opposing coach tell their team to play defense even if they got a gimme basket in return?

It was the right thing to do for Lauren just as it was right to do for Nykesha. I wondered that with time and distance what some of the greatest detractors on Nykesha's basket said about Lauren. Interestingly, Pat Summit was highly supportive of giving Nykesha her moment.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There are no apologists for that. No need to apologize. They did right by Sales and Bascom.
It was an embarrassment. But just 1 in so many years is pretty good.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Didn't embarrass me, didn't embarrass Geno, didn't embarrass Sales, didn't embarrass Bascom, didn't embarrass UCONN. I guess if you were embarrassed, well that's your problem.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting that - I had never watched that game and it was a period when I was unable to see any of the broadcast games live. Such fun to see Sveta as a freshman, Page and Stacey before they were relegated to bench roles by the TASSK class, Amy who I am not sure I ever saw in a game, nor Rita. And Sales was pretty amazing!
But they got them a ring their senior year, so they were probably ok with that. :D

Reaction Score
I was there and I didn't find it embarrassing, nor apparently did any of the other thousands of cheering fans. Thought it was a great and well-deserved gesture. Very much appreciated Harry's cooperation, and got a chance later at the BE tourney to tell him so.

Reaction Score
Whenever I read again about Keesh breaking Kerry Bascom's UCONN record and the crap that she and Geno got nationwide about it, I am reminded that, around the same time, Bret Favre tanked to allow Michael Strahan to break the NFL record for sacks. Not a sound was uttered from the "Old Boy's Club"! Never could figure that one out.
And McLain "grooved" Mantle's 535th home run. But just because something has happened before or since doesn't make it right.

The problem I have with the "record" is that it resulted from an artificial construct, not from real basketball. Do I think it was a damned shame that Sales' career was cut short? Absolutely. Do I think it was even more of a shame it happened when she was so close to an important milestone? Again, yes. Do I think that Geno, Sales, and Bascom knew the record was temporary and, eventually, Kerry's points total would be eclipsed anyway so, really, where's the harm? Yes I do.

Still, records should stand for something or stop keeping them. Just because someone dreams up a bizarre category called the most shots made by sisters between the ages of 15 and 25 whose last name begins with M-A-B-R-E before Big Ben can chime 10.125 times doesn't mean it's a world record worth noting.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And McLain "grooved" Mantle's 535th home run. But just because something has happened before or since doesn't make it right.

The problem I have with the "record" is that it resulted from an artificial construct, not from real basketball. Do I think it was a damned shame that Sales' career was cut short? Absolutely. Do I think it was even more of a shame it happened when she was so close to an important milestone? Again, yes. Do I think that Geno, Sales, and Bascom knew the record was temporary and, eventually, Kerry's points total would be eclipsed anyway so, really, where's the harm? Yes I do.

Still, records should stand for something or stop keeping them. Just because someone dreams up a bizarre category called the most shots made by sisters between the ages of 15 and 25 whose last name begins with M-A-B-R-E before Big Ben can chime 10.125 times doesn't mean it's a world record worth noting.
Again - school records are just nice things to record, they have no bearing on conference, regional, national, or world records - they only pertain to the school's players, staff and alum and fans. If as a fan of Uconn, you want to list Bascomb ahead of Sales - go ahead. As a fan of another team or of WCBB in general, neither Sales' nor Bascomb's exact career point total even registers in the annals of the sport. That they are ranked #234 or #246 or whatever it is matters to absolutely no one.

Reaction Score
Again - school records are just nice things to record, they have no bearing on conference, regional, national, or world records - they only pertain to the school's players, staff and alum and fans. If as a fan of Uconn, you want to list Bascomb ahead of Sales - go ahead. As a fan of another team or of WCBB in general, neither Sales' nor Bascomb's exact career point total even registers in the annals of the sport. That they are ranked #234 or #246 or whatever it is matters to absolutely no one.
Who says school records can't also be conference, national, or world records?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Who says school records can't also be conference, national, or world records?
Of course they can be, but that scoring record at Uconn is no where even in the neighborhood of a conference or national or world record - it was a piddling total in comparison to any of those records. Maya's current record is much more significant though still not near the national record, but it might be the conference record - I haven't checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom