#17 UConn v. Boston College (Fri. 3/3/23 @7p @Conte Forum & Sat. 3/4/23 @4p @Toscano Family Ice Forum) Friday's game on NESN/Saturday's on ESPN+. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

#17 UConn v. Boston College (Fri. 3/3/23 @7p @Conte Forum & Sat. 3/4/23 @4p @Toscano Family Ice Forum) Friday's game on NESN/Saturday's on ESPN+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One thing about the Huskies, they might not have the talent but always play with effort and heart. That’s why this team is so enjoyable to watch.

Reaction Score
The lack of talent on the blue line is so obvious every single year and they never can bring the recruits in.

A total revamp of the d corps is needed.

At times it’s just unwatchable.

Reaction Score
Terness played great except for when he didn’t. Overall great game but two goals he gave up were pretty dreadful.

Capone failing to clear up the boards led to the third goal.

Fundamentals. Fundafreakingmentals.

Reaction Score
Another thing. Special teams was great but our 5 on 5 play was as bad as it’s been all year.
They better come out with fight right from the start

Reaction Score
4th goal was so bad. First Percival just stops playing on the delayed offside right along the BC bench. As BC enters the zone they drop pass to #4 and the BC player basically coasts right into Spetz and rides him down for 10-15 feet which allows #4 to skate right in and shoot. Now the goal was soft but the defense by Spetz was so soft fight through that BC player to atlaest get a stick in there. All around bad on all fronts.

Reaction Score
4th goal was so bad. First Percival just stops playing on the delayed offside right along the BC bench. As BC enters the zone they drop pass to #4 and the BC player basically coasts right into Spetz and rides him down for 10-15 feet which allows #4 to skate right in and shoot. Now the goal was soft but the defense by Spetz was so soft fight through that BC player to atlaest get a stick in there. All around bad on all fronts.
They have been playing like that for years. It was on full display vs Quinnipiac. Gliding back to their own goal mouth. It’s aggravating.

Teams with real talent expose their dmen season after season.

Reaction Score
They have been playing like that for years. It was on full display vs Quinnipiac. Gliding back to their own goal mouth. It’s aggravating.

Teams with real talent expose their dmen season after season.
Yeah, defense has definitely been the weak spot this year. They get caught in their own zone so many times and can't get it out. Other times its turnovers through the neutral zone that are aggravating when they could have skated and taken space.

Reaction Score
Looking at BC’s roster, they skate 3 freshmen and one sophomore on defense. Their leading scorer is a freshman. I think that explains why they are a .500 team.

I do like their style of play. I wish we would stop playing the center ice trapping style of hockey. Yes, it keeps games close, but it’s boring as hell to watch. I’m not a fan of bringing in less talented 20 and 21 year old players who can only play a slowed down game.

Reaction Score
Do you think they are intentionally bringing in less talented players who can only play a slowed-down game?
I’ve never found UConn games to be boring. Usually our goals scored and allowed are up there.
Check out the box score of northeastern and UMass Lowell tonight. Something like 38 shots on goal total

Reaction Score
At any rate, Cavanaugh now has the tools to recruit consistently well every year.
Of course finding a site that ranks recruiting classes seems difficult unlike other sports.

Reaction Score
Damn. I said we can't count on Northeastern for help; and now we have to count on Northeastern.

Reaction Score
Well the final four game and the BU playoff game before it were bigger than this one. That was less than a year ago.
I don’t feel like defending the coaches right now but this comment is not really timely.
Yes, Cavanaugh did have some big wins at the end of last year.
And he was richly rewarded for same. He definitely is paid in upper end of HE coaches. But facts are stubborn. In his 10th season, we've been to Boston once. I'm afraid this year it is obvious that the team has regressed since the fall. The trend is terrible.

Cav is a good recruiter but sadly he really doesn't develop players as necessary. Certain fundamentals have just gotten worse this year.

If you were a decent bantam coach, you would get more out of your players in March than you did in November! We are now 8-9 since Thanksgiving and going nowhere fast.

We can get some redemption tonight, but we ceded control of our destiny. Any way you cut it, we are suffering the consequences of self-inflicted wounds.

Reaction Score
At any rate, Cavanaugh now has the tools to recruit consistently well every year.
Of course finding a site that ranks recruiting classes seems difficult unlike other sports.
Neutralzone.net

You need to register a free account to see player ratings

Do you think they are intentionally bringing in less talented players who can only play a slowed-down game?
I’ve never found UConn games to be boring. Usually our goals scored and allowed are up there.
Check out the box score of northeastern and UMass Lowell tonight. Something like 38 shots on goal total
I don’t think UConn plays a slow game or wants to play a slow game. They play fast when they are playing a similarly talented team or less talented team.

The problem arises when they come up against more talented teams that are playing their A game. They go into a defensive shell. UConn’s talent level and recruiting gets exposed.

They need to get to another level of recruiting to be considered a NCAA tournament at large, top ten type of team.

Reaction Score
Do they teach the defenseman to just drift into their goalies face when the other teams starts a rush?
Being in some Adam Karashiks soon please. A guy who will play the body.
This starts in center ice but at your own blue line you have to be in good position to take good angles. I hate late engagement by defensemen but it's up to the coaches to empasize preventing problems before they happen. Either agressive or passive at the blue line and I prefer aggressive in most cases. In between and indecisive gets you in trouble.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Todays game link for those of you that have not contributed to ESPNs corporate greed.;)

UConn vs BC

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Another poor clear results in a BC goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom