16 Team Conferences | The Boneyard

16 Team Conferences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just for the sake of fun and argument let’s say that the Power conferences expand to 16 teams. In order for them to do that they would need to steal from other conferences. Which conferences hold school highly regarded enough to jump and join the power conferences? Below is my take on this if it ever did take place. Connecticut will find a home and the Big 12 would be gone leaving four power conferences of 16 teams. Each power conference would have two divisions of eight schools. They play a seven game conference division schedule in football. In basketball they play everyone once for a 15 game conference division schedule. TCU would be the odd team out and they would jump back into the Mountain West Conference. This might not be where schools end up but you will see that sometime very soon these 14 team conferences are going to expand once again.

ACC

1. Boston College

2. Clemson

3. Duke

4. Florida State

5. Georgia Tech

6. Louisville

7. Miami

8. North Carolina

9. Notre Dame

10. Pittsburgh

11. Syracuse

12. Virginia

13. Virginia Tech

14. Wake Forest

15. Connecticut

16. West Virginia

BIG 10

1. Illinois

2. Indiana

3. Iowa

4. Michigan

5. Michigan State

6. Minnesota

7. Nebraska

8. Northwestern

9. Ohio State

10. Penn State

11. Purdue

12. Wisconsin

13. Maryland

14. Rutgers

15. Iowa State

16. Texas

PAC 12

1. Arizona

2. Arizona State

3. California

4. Colorado

5. Oregon

6. Oregon State

7. Stanford

8. Utah

9. UCLA

10. USC

11. Washington

12. Washington State

13. Baylor

14. Kansas

15. Kansas State

16. Texas Tech

SEC

1. Alabama

2. Arkansas

3. Auburn

4. Florida

5. Georgia

6. Kentucky

7. LSU

8. Mississippi

9. Mississippi State

10. Missouri

11. South Carolina

12. Tennessee

13. Texas A&M

14. Vanderbilt

15. Oklahoma

16. Oklahoma State

Reaction Score
Ugh....

500full.jpg

Reaction Score
If the SEC won't add FSU, why would they add OSU along with OU?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Why is TCU automatically on the outside looking in if only to include UConn? TCU has recently shown that they are all in athletically. Where is Cincinnati, USF or UCF? Maybe a school like BC, Wake, Baylor, Northwestern, Duke, etc. de-emphasize football, Univ. of Chitown-style? The pay for play style may not jibe with the mission statements of some of these private institutions.

Adding UConn to the Haves is just as arbitrary as removing TCU, not removing the other schools, or adding other "worthy" ones.

pj

Reaction Score
The conferences won't all go to 16.

The conferences won't kick anybody out.

If the B12 breaks up, half the teams will stay in the "B12" and the top half of the AAC will move to be with them.

Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and whoever has enough political power to tag along will land in major conferences.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Hmmm . . . The Big10 going with ISU? Not sure about that one. I actually think ISU, along with KSU, TCU, Baylor, and OSU would be out of luck if the B12 as we know it breaks up.

I know this is all conjecture, but I think that The ACC won't pull in anybody unless ND joins fully, and they won't go over 16 if they do. In fact, the only school I see heading past 16 is The Big10. That's only if The Big12 (or, much less likely, The ACC) breaks up and they are able to snag UT/UNC. Since I don't see either happening, it's 16 for the Big10

Reaction Score
I'm not going into the details but an executive at ESPN told me that it's not "if" 16 team conferences are coming but "when". I just hope we've found our place at someone's dinner table by then.

Reaction Score
Sucks for NC State, looks like they didn't make SportsPageMikes cut.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Pac12 will not be adding any group of four teams that doesn't include Texas and Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
Not sure exactly why, but as soon as I clicked on this thread I immediately thought of sticking a pencil into my eyeball.

Dude what did you expect? Now aim 3 feet lower than your eyeball and you will build negative reinforcement from clicking on future nebulus threads.

UConn will have to sit for 18 more months, so I say get those Greenwich hedge funds to sponsor a UConn vs BCU fb death match at Gillette Stadium with winner getting serious swag. Best part about this offer will be reading BCU's lame excuses why they can't play.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not going into the details but an executive at ESPN told me that it's not "if" 16 team conferences are coming but "when". I just hope we've found our place at someone's dinner table by then.
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
So you are saying an unnamed executive at a television network has given you unstated details that the 16 team conferences are coming?

Well I don't know what more people could want. That's about as a definitive as it gets. Thanks for sharing!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is no question about 16. Scott Gray says it's done... and that guy is as plugged in as my mothers VCR so you know it's good info.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Yeah, 16 is the number. The only questions are 4 conferences or 5 and how they will be constituted.

Reaction Score
I suppose its possible but I wonder if the # will be 64(4) or 80(5). Five conferences of 16 might be very difficult to achieve. Without poaching The ACC and Big 12 how does either The PAC or SEC get to 16 each? I suppose The PAC could grab from schools like UNM, Houston, Rice, UNLV, Fresno, SDSU, Hawaii, BYU or BCU, but I just don't see it. The SEC? I can't come up with one school that is currently not in either the ACC or Big 12-2 passing the sniff test. There are simply no non committed schoold in the South that bring anything to the table for the SEC.

Reaction Score
I suppose its possible but I wonder if the # will be 64(4) or 80(5). Five conferences of 16 might be very difficult to achieve. Without poaching The ACC and Big 12 how does either The PAC or SEC get to 16 each? I suppose The PAC could grab from schools like UNM, Houston, Rice, UNLV, Fresno, SDSU, Hawaii, BYU or BCU, but I just don't see it. The SEC? I can't come up with one school that is currently not in either the ACC or Big 12-2 passing the sniff test. There are simply no non committed schoold in the South that bring anything to the table for the SEC.
If the SEC needs to poach the ACC I say poach away.

Reaction Score
There is no question about 16. Scott Gray says it's done... and that guy is as plugged in as my mothers VCR so you know it's good info.
I've got my RCA Selectavision Videodisc Player in standby mode if anyone needs a prediction from me. Pretty sure Old Yeller is in the slot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've got my RCA Selectavision Videodisc Player in standby mode if anyone needs a prediction from me. Pretty sure Old Yeller is in the slot.

Scott Gray will be reviewing next week after comparing Ken Gernander to the dog.

Reaction Score
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
So you are saying an unnamed executive at a television network has given you unstated details that the 16 team conferences are coming?

Well I don't know what more people could want. That's about as a definitive as it gets. Thanks for sharing!

I know, I know.... It sounds funny, I get it. I just cant give any specifics because it would be traced back to me quite quickly. Who knows what his reasons are for saying that, but based on recent news developments on the power 5, it doesnt seem to unreasonable to assume its a possibility.

Reaction Score
[Sucks for NC State, looks like they didn't make SportsPageMikes cut.]

Yeah, I missed that one. Some of you may think that this is nuts but it is going to happen. When? I don't know but the Major four or five conferences are going to jump to 16 and they will steal teams. As for why Oklahoma and Okl State that was because this conference is well known for having two schools from the same state. Don't forget that the PAC 12 did ask some Texas schools to join their conference before. TCU was granted an invite into the BIG 12 because of need. Remember that they didn't want them before. They are in because Missouri and A&M bagged ass. We can blame South Carolina and Arkansas for all of this realignment crap.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Yeah, 16 is the number. The only questions are 4 conferences or 5 and how they will be constituted.

I'll bite with 5. Some are going to have to take schools they don't want. I'm assuming no school is dropping down and no one is leaving a conference.

Assuming we need 16 schools to get to 81 (ND get's a waiver), I tried to figure out who that might be. Here goes:

UConn, Cincinati, Memphis, Tulane, East Carolina, Colorado State, New Mexico, Nevada, UNLV, BYU, USF, UCF, Buffalo, San Diego St., Houston, Temple.

I then tried to make the best pairings with what each conference might want, the geography, and conference desirability. The new schools are in red.

Big10: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, Wisconsin - UConn, Buffalo - Helps with NY and the Northeast. Someone had to take Buffalo. They fit the mold of a Big 10 school academically and institutionally. UConn was a no brainer.

SEC: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana State, Kentucky, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt - East Carolina, Cincinati - The Big Dog gets to choose their non - UConn schools first.

Pac16: Arizona, Arizona State, Cal-Berkely, Colorado, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington, Washington State -
Nevada, New Mexico, Houston, San Diego State - The PAC gets up and comers New Mexico and Nevada. They get into Texas (kind of) and the Non-California schools get to play in California more.

ACC: Boston College, Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest -
Temple, Memphis - The ACC wants to keep up with The Big10 in the NE/Mid Atlantic and Temple is the best of what's left and Memphis is Louisville light (very light),

Big12: Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Texas Christian, West Virginia -
USF, UCF, Tulane, Colorado State, UNLV, BYU - Picks up Florida, Philidephia, Denver, Las Vegas, and Salt Lake City.

This is almost impossible. If The P5 goes to 80, it's very difficult to choose who would go where and would The SEC really take ECU? If there were to be 80, I would think that there would be a bunch of movement and the Big 12 would merge with what's left of the AAC with a few MWC teams thrown in for good measure.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I'll bite with 5. Some are going to have to take schools they don't want. I'm assuming no school is dropping down and no one is leaving a conference.

Assuming we need 16 schools to get to 81 (ND get's a waiver), I tried to figure out who that might be. Here goes:

UConn, Cincinati, Memphis, Tulane, East Carolina, Colorado State, New Mexico, Nevada, UNLV, BYU, USF, UCF, Buffalo, San Diego St., Houston, Temple.

I then tried to make the best pairings with what each conference might want, the geography, and conference desirability. The new schools are in red.

Big10: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, Wisconsin - UConn, Buffalo - Helps with NY and the Northeast. Someone had to take Buffalo. They fit the mold of a Big 10 school academically and institutionally. UConn was a no brainer.

SEC: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana State, Kentucky, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt - East Carolina, Cincinati - The Big Dog gets to choose their non - UConn schools first.

Pac16: Arizona, Arizona State, Cal-Berkely, Colorado, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington, Washington State -
Nevada, New Mexico, Houston, San Diego State - The PAC gets up and comers New Mexico and Nevada. They get into Texas (kind of) and the Non-California schools get to play in California more.

ACC: Boston College, Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest -
Temple, Memphis - The ACC wants to keep up with The Big10 in the NE/Mid Atlantic and Temple is the best of what's left and Memphis is Louisville light (very light),

Big12: Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Texas Christian, West Virginia -
USF, UCF, Tulane, Colorado State, UNLV, BYU - Picks up Florida, Philidephia, Denver, Las Vegas, and Salt Lake City.

This is almost impossible. If The P5 goes to 80, it's very difficult to choose who would go where and would The SEC really take ECU? If there were to be 80, I would think that there would be a bunch of movement and the Big 12 would merge with what's left of the AAC with a few MWC teams thrown in for good measure.
To the administrators: Why isn't there a 'dislike' button on this site?

Reaction Score
I'm concerned and worried it may end up being p-4 with 16 teams each. With very few exceptions, those teams suggested to get augment P-5 leagues are very weak and near the bottom of FBS ratings. I don't thing P-5 league commissioners and athletic directors will jump at the chance to pull teams from the bottom of the BCS list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom