10 year WBB failure | The Boneyard

10 year WBB failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
25% of the 76 "power conference" & "old Big East" teams have an over-all losing record over the last 10 years.

The two worst programs in the group are Washington State (92 wins) and Clemson (105 wins) with nary a winning season in 10 years!!!

Of the 19 teams with over-all losing records for 10 years, 5 are from the B1G, 5 from the PAC, and 3 each from the old BE, ACC and SEC. Among the other "worst" are Alabama and Providence, which had 1 winning season in 10 years and Arizona and Cincinnati, which had 2.

It should be noted that Illinois and Michigan both had more winning than losing seasons (6 to 4) but in actual wins and losses, they had over-all losing records.

Reaction Score
It has been years since I took statistics and did not fully comprehend it, but, statistically, shouldn't 25% of all teams be on the losing side of .500, another 25% should be on the winning side and 50% right around the .500 mark? With such an established track record, it will be extremely difficult for the bottom 25 to reach the top 25. The mighty that have fallen are more the result of size and resources. I, for one, would like to see a few more WCBB powers emerge and make heavier the heads that wear the current crown.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It might be interesting to compare records of the corresponding Men's BB Teams.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It has been years since I took statistics and did not fully comprehend it, but, statistically, shouldn't 25% of all teams be on the losing side of .500, another 25% should be on the winning side and 50% right around the .500 mark? With such an established track record, it will be extremely difficult for the bottom 25 to reach the top 25. The mighty that have fallen are more the result of size and resources. I, for one, would like to see a few more WCBB powers emerge and make heavier the heads that wear the current crown.
I think, but won't swear the distribution you cite is correct in the abstract - the bell curve. But for each UConn that wins a lot of games, someone is losing a lot.

Because the analysis only covered the power conferences, the teams on this list are mostly bad because they either don't care about women's basketball or have never had success. I think there is a reality that it is difficult to build a program "today" in a way it wasn't at one time. Today's players want facilities, and I think some idea that there will be success. Some are trending upward, some are just treading water. The full list of schools that have a losing 10 year record is:

Washington State, Arizona, Oregon, Oregon State and Colorado from the PAC; Northwestern, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois and Michigan from the B1G; Clemson, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest from the ACC, Alabama, Missouri and Mississippi from the SEC and Providence, Cincinnati and Seton Hall from the old BE. Of these, Oregon State, Colorado, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Seton Hall are the ones I perceive as trying the hardest. The others - even those with new coaches - seem to be just "hanging", but we will see.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
It has been years since I took statistics and did not fully comprehend it, but, statistically, shouldn't 25% of all teams be on the losing side of .500, another 25% should be on the winning side and 50% right around the .500 mark?

Not necessarily because of the use of overall record, which will include games against opponents not included in the set.

Reaction Score
I think, but won't swear the distribution you cite is correct in the abstract - the bell curve. But for each UConn that wins a lot of games, someone is losing a lot.

Because the analysis only covered the power conferences, the teams on this list are mostly bad because they either don't care about women's basketball or have never had success. I think there is a reality that it is difficult to build a program "today" in a way it wasn't at one time. Today's players want facilities, and I think some idea that there will be success. Some are trending upward, some are just treading water. The full list of schools that have a losing 10 year record is:

Washington State, Arizona, Oregon, Oregon State and Colorado from the PAC; Northwestern, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois and Michigan from the B1G; Clemson, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest from the ACC, Alabama, Missouri and Mississippi from the SEC and Providence, Cincinnati and Seton Hall from the old BE. Of these, Oregon State, Colorado, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Seton Hall are the ones I perceive as trying the hardest. The others - even those with new coaches - seem to be just "hanging", but we will see.

It is a shame to see Providence and Seton Hall on your list of losers. There was a time when they boasted of exceptional men's and women's basketball programs. Seton Hall and Michigan are definitely trying. Kayla McBride's younger sister plays for Indiana. Many other programs are foreign to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom