10 year success - UConn leads (duh) | The Boneyard

10 year success - UConn leads (duh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I am in the process of looking at success over the last 10 seasons for the 76 programs that are either in current "power conferences" or were in the "old Big East".

It turns out that 75% of them had a winning record in the last 10 years, however, only 21% of the teams actually had a winning record every season for 10 years, 16 schools.

Four had over 300 wins - UConn (347), Stanford (325), Baylor (306) and Tennessee (302). The other teams with annual winning records are Duke, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Maryland, Texas A&M, LSU, Oklahoma, DePaul, Rutgers, Georgia, Vanderbilt and Iowa State (224 wins for comparison).

Interestingly, the only schools in this group with multiple coaches in that span are Tennessee (Summitt / Warlick), Duke (Goestenkoers / McCallie), and LSU (Chatman, Starkey, Chancellor, Caldwell).

To be fair, many of the schools with over-all winning records had only one or two losing seasons, often at times of coaching transition or a rebuilding year, but I do think there is something important about having a winning record every year. For the record, Georgetown, Pittsburgh and Washington had over all winning records, but only 5 of 10 individual seasons had a winning record.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am in the process of looking at success over the last 10 seasons for the 76 programs that are either in current "power conferences" or were in the "old Big East".

It turns out that 75% of them had a winning record in the last 10 years, however, only 21% of the teams actually had a winning record every season for 10 years, 16 schools.

Four had over 300 wins - UConn (347), Stanford (325), Baylor (306) and Tennessee (302). The other teams with annual winning records are Duke, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Maryland, Texas A&M, LSU, Oklahoma, DePaul, Rutgers, Georgia, Vanderbilt and Iowa State (224 wins for comparison).

Interestingly, the only schools in this group with multiple coaches in that span are Tennessee (Summitt / Warlick), Duke (Goestenkoers / McCallie), and LSU (Chatman, Starkey, Chancellor, Caldwell).

To be fair, many of the schools with over-all winning records had only one or two losing seasons, often at times of coaching transition or a rebuilding year, but I do think there is something important about having a winning record every year. For the record, Georgetown, Pittsburgh and Washington had over all winning records, but only 5 of 10 individual seasons had a winning record.
Very interesting especially considering that many of the power conference teams play absolute cupcake schedules so they head into conference play with 8-10 wins but getting to 15 or 16 wins is still beyond them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom