Zags annihilating Virginia | The Boneyard

Zags annihilating Virginia

Reaction Score
Kispert just had his 9th three rattle in and out, it's the start of the second half.

Reaction Score
Playing with fire if you continue to pack the line against teams that shoot like the Zags do. Bennett needs to adjust

Reaction Score
Zags are going undefeated this regular season and will be heavy favorites to win it all. Legit shot at an undefeated season if they stay healthy.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Kispert is so good. Shooting 46% from deep at high volume. He will find his way into an NBA rotation just based on his shooting.

Reaction Score
Imagine being a Zags fan if the season doesn’t end up being completed.

Yeah - but March madness is crazy and there’s nowhere for them to go but down.

Feel worse for Dayton and Rutgers last year, since even making the tourney would have been huge for them.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Zags have a slew of nice guards, but once you get past Timme the quality of post players diminishes rapidly. That could be their one weakness.

edit--they have been fun to watch this year. Taking on all comers and putting a beatdown on almost everybody so far.

Reaction Score
Playing with fire if you continue to pack the line against teams that shoot like the Zags do. Bennett needs to adjust
Has he ever altered his game plan? He coaches sort of like that former Princeton Coach, Pete Carrill .
Lots of discipline and focused players, but not sure he can, or ever, has changed. In a similar vein, can Boeheim's team play man to man?

Sort of like the Maginot line of basketball with a focus on an elaborate defense. I am not sure how flexible his offense is, but give him credit. He did win a NC.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga has 2 of the top 6 Kenpom players of the year. And neither of them is Kispert, who leads the country with a 150+ ORTG on 26% of shots. Just wild.

Reaction Score
Kispert is so good. Shooting 46% from deep at high volume. He will find his way into an NBA rotation just based on his shooting.
Keep in mind, he does not shoot unless he has a good look- none of them are ever contested.

Reaction Score
I have not seen the current team play. That said, I still think their best squad was the team we beat in 99. They were a tough out. Maybe tougher than Duke.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That said, I still think their best squad was the team we beat in 99.

They are a whole different animal now. That team was tough and gritty with some shooters, but they were light years away from getting a player like Suggs back then. The way Kispert is playing so far this season, he's kinda like Frahm was back then, only a whole lot better.

Anyway, what about their team that was a runner up to Carolina in '17? I think ya gotta put them in front of '99 as well. Probably several other GU squads also. '99 got the ball rolling but they've seen some talent roll thru since then that nobody in Spokane could've possibly even dreamed of in '99.

Reaction Score
Zags have a slew of nice guards, but once you get past Timme the quality of post players diminishes rapidly. That could be their one weakness.
I was about to post the same thing, Watson has played some five, but he would wilt against true big men while Ballo is incredibly slow and despite his pedigree, right now is only good for five fouls.

I can see Gonzaga having trouble against teams with long guards and exceptional perimeter D: Baylor (as @nwhoopfan and @EBonz30 noted), Tennessee and Kansas come to mind.

In fact, one team that could be Gonzaga's kryptonite is Kansas:

1) Their perimeter D led by Marcus Garrett guarding Suggs and Jalen Wilson on Kispert.
2) David McCormack down low vs Timme.

Reaction Score
They already beat Kansas 102-90 this season. Timme had 25. Suggs and Kispert combined for 47.
That was when Kansas played zero defense- in the last 3 games Kansas has really stepped up their D & the results correlate.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga is long overdue for a title. I thought they were going to do it last year but the season was canceled. I dont think that will happen this year but theyll still likely come up short because we all know Uconn is cutting down the nets in april :D

They should have beaten UNC a few years ago. Big white guy choked badly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom