Your Stand Up Comedian Mt Rushmore | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Your Stand Up Comedian Mt Rushmore

Reaction Score
Rodney Dangerfield because I idolized and impersonated him professionally for a time.
Don Rickles always made me laugh till I peed.
Anthony Jeselnik for the one joke he did on the roast of Donald Trump about Snoop which I think youtube has removed.
Jeff Ross.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This is harder than I thought.

I still watch videos of Rodney Dangerfield tearing it up on Carson.
Jay Leno was my favorite guest on Late Night with David Letterman - he was a seriously great standup comic.
I love the way Bob Newhart would tell a story and get you to stop and listen - and laugh.
Norm is great, George Carlin makes me think and Chappelle makes me laugh out loud.

But, ultimately, this list is based on who made me laugh as a kid.

My Mt. Rushmore is:
Steve Martin - when I was 8 I could recite "Let's Get Small" almost verbatim.
Andy Kaufman - as Tony Clifton
Joan Rivers - pay attention or you'll miss the joke
Bill Cosby - I once fed my kids chocolate cake for breakfast and kept singing this to them

And I would play this on loop for people while they were waiting in line for tickets.
Steve Martin: "Grandpaaaaaa...bought a rubber!"

Reaction Score
I saw Dangerfield at Yale a good 30 years ago, and his public persona versus his stand up act were polar opposites. His set was beyond profane and dirty, but absolutely hysterical. He would just start riffing on things and you weren't even done laughing at a joke and he already was throwing out 3 more jokes in a row. I have seen Chris Rock, Seinfeld and Eddie Izzard, but Rodney is still the king.
You lucky SoB

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
For female comic's: Joan Rivers was my favorite.

But the 'Queen of Mean" Lisa Lampanelli was fearless & smart. To Hulk Hogan at a roast: "Listen, it's the sound of a 19 year-old's ba--s hitting your ex-wife's chin."

Other great female stand-ups: Gracie Allen, Elaine Boozler, Phyllis Diller.
Elaine May?

Reaction Score
Murphy, Dice, Dangerfield, Chappelle

HM: Andy Kaufman, Don Rickles, Bill Burr, Louis CK, Norm McDonald

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Hey Guys,

To stir the opinion pot further here: WHICH POPULAR COMIC'S DON'T YOU REALLY LIKE?

Though I know their comedy well, three comic's that never rang my bell for the longrun are: Jerry Seinfeild, Richard Pryor & Bob Newhart.

Go ahead, take a swing!

Father Demo

I find Kevin Hart to be annoying and un-funny. Never got why he became so big.

Reaction Score
Back in the 80's I always thought the tonight show was funnier when Joan Rivers hosted. She is most definitely a legend.

I'm a huge fan of Bill Hicks and his very short career.

Robin Williams, Chappelle, and George Carlin have lapped the pack IMO.

at the moment Norm Macdonald is my favorite. I love his bit on teachers being the "real heroes"

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
With stand up you have the comedians who do all sorts of one liners and you have comedians who weave a joke or two in to a story.
Doing an hour of stand up where you are mostly doing one liners is tough. Real tough. Gots to give props for those who write their material and craft their material.
Overall though, I'm more open to those telling stories and painting a picture with humor. Also not a fan of those who really need the physical aspect of comedy to get the laughs.

Keeping it to people I've seen in person or was alive to watch their specials and separating their comedy routines from their success or failure at TV or movies, here it goes.

Carlin
Chapelle
Steven Wright
Dangerfield

I really want to put Eddie Murphy on there because his first two albums were the first two R rated albums I ever heard and I want to believe they are epically funny but I'm certain if I listened to them again, I'd be disappointed.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Bob Newhart.
Mitch Hedberg.
Carlin.
Steven Wright.
Buddy Hackett.
Finally a Buddy Hackett mention.

Lots of funny folks here, though quite a few aren't Mt Rushmore material so much as personal favorites. I appreciate the heads up on those new to me.

Carlin, Pryor, Dangerfield, Williams - not necessarily because I think it's the right answer, but because it would be chickensp!t for me to avoid offering one.

I'll just add a shout out that "The Aristocrats" is currently streaming on Amazon Prime (and Tubi, or even through your public libraries on Hoopla), and doesn't offer a single clean comedian while it shows many dozens of comedians working the same joke.

Reaction Score
Don Rickles
George Carlin
Dave Chappelle
Jerry Seinfeld

Hard to leave off Chris Rock, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy or Steve Martin but you can only pick four.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I think standup comedy generally sucks and is way too forced. Maybe I’m just skewed by today’s standard of comedy.
Just not for me but I can appreciate the genius of some of these people.

Having said that, Rickles and Burr are incredible. I could watch YouTube videos of Don Rickles forever.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
too many choices.
i miss bernie mac. his bit aboot 'don't come to my funeral' got even funnier after everyone came to his funeral. rip. he billed himself as 'telling it like it is.' yup.
steve harvey has been getting paid on the screen for a long, long, time. he good, too. that 'kings of comedy' act of theirs was just plain funny.
where's the luv here for jeff dunham? 'Forbes ranked Dunham as the third highest-paid comedian in the United States behind Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock'

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Dave Chapelle, Lewis Black, Eddie Izzard, Ricky Gervais

Reaction Score
no one had mentioned Larry David, the true brains behind Seinfeld. His stand up is both weird and hilarious.
Also, I’ve seen some Rita Rudner specials. She is always funny

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom