Your Stand Up Comedian Mt Rushmore | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Your Stand Up Comedian Mt Rushmore

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I think Chappelle is playing his own sport. It would be hard for anyone else to surpass him as GOAT in my book at this point

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
Not sure if any would go on a Mt Rushmore but of the modern era guys I'd say John Mulaney, Mike Birbiglia, Tom Segura, Jim Jeffries, Bill Burr, Nate Bargatze are all in the conversation

Reaction Score
When you go way back, Jackie Mason and Don Rickles were funny stan up comedians as well

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Rodney Dangerfield, Dave Chappelle, Eddie Murphy, Norm Macdonald, Don Rickles, Greg Giraldo, Patrice O'Neal, Louis CK, Chris Rock, Bill Burr, George Carlin, Jim Gaffigan, Redd Foxx.
Norm and Patrice are good calls

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Carlin and Williams are locks. So many other great names. Surprised not seeing Gilbert Gottfried mentioned.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Most modern guys are derivatives, funny as heck, but following the map laid out by the originals.

Rock, Murphy, CK, Burr, and any "edgy" comedian that talks about real life is copying Pryor in some form.
Any comic using observational humor and language descends from Carlin.
There is a long line of "catskills' era comics but the guy who was the best 'clean' comic was Cosby.
You can pick from Bruce, Rickles, Redd Foxx, Dangerfield and many others as early innovators, but I'm skipping the vaudeville era and going with Williams as the fourth because he was a unique force of nature.

I have others who are my favorites but those 4 are the GOATS.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1618870139694.png

There's a lot online about this, as you'd expect. Here's one article

Another name that I'd forgotten is Cosby, if we are judging him strictly on his work . His albums were hysterical. Obviously he's a pretty reprehensible guy on a personal level.

After this thread runs for a bit someone should set up a poll.

Good topic.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily my favorites, and I don't know that these ultimately make it onto Rushmore, but some more that should at least be debated for a Top 10-20 list based on overall popularity/longevity:

-Jim Breuer
-Jeff Foxworthy
-Steven Wright
-Joan Rivers
Jeff Foxworthy is a hack.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield needs some love. Chapelle for his observational humor. Sam Kinison. Richard Pryor.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Most modern guys are derivatives, funny as heck, but following the map laid out by the originals.

Rock, Murphy, CK, Burr, and any "edgy" comedian that talks about real life is copying Pryor in some form.
Any comic using observational humor and language descends from Carlin.
There is a long line of "catskills' era comics but the guy who was the best 'clean' comic was Cosby.
You can pick from Bruce, Rickles, Redd Foxx, Dangerfield and many others as early innovators, but I'm skipping the vaudeville era and going with Williams as the fourth because he was a unique force of nature.

I have others who are my favorites but those 4 are the GOATS.
I have mixed feelings about Williams (Robin that is, Katt I literally cannot understand half the time). Absolute genius and seriously the fastest wit I've ever seen (although Ferguson comes close and Gottfried can handle himself). I always felt a bit uncomfortable watching him with others as he always seemed to need to be the alpha dog and one up everyone and everything, sometimes to the point of being too much.e

For people with more than a passing interest in standup comedy, the film "Talking Funny" is a great watch. If nothing else, you will never, ever be able to hear, "Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay" the same way again.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Bob Newhart.
Mitch Hedberg.
Carlin.
Steven Wright.
Buddy Hackett.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Its comical that we were asked for 4 comedians most responses offer 10.

Reaction Score
I’ll rank the one’s that I’ve seen in person.
1. Damon Wayans
2. David Spade
3. Carrot Top
4. Larry the cable guy
5. Had tickets to Katt Williams but unfortunately I didn’t go. He probably would have been the best.

Reaction Score
Sam Kinison - "OH-OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"
Rodney Dangerfield - "I didn't have any luck with animals either. When I was a kid in my sandbox, the cat kept
covering me up.
George Carlin
Robin Williams

Honarable Mention (IMO): Jonathan Winters, Bill Cosby, Don Rickles, Bill Burr, Chris Rock, Greg Giraldo, Gilbert Gottfried, Jeff Ross.

I also have seen every one of these comedy giants in person, some many times.

But Kinison took the air out of 2,500 people & knocked us to the floor. Fearless! Sam just "wanted to do a little jounalistic reporting on events taking place at an LA mortuary. Rock of ages! Rock of ages! Hey! What's That?"

The best comic's are absolutely crazy people! They're Nuts!

Father Demo

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Robin Williams, Jerry Seinfeld, Jim Breuer, Jamie Kennedy, Chris Rock

Reaction Score
I'll take a side track. If you had to include one woman in the Rushmore Four, who would it be?

Phyllis Diller? Joan Rivers? Roseanne Barr? Amy Shumer?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom