Your Stand Up Comedian Mt Rushmore | The Boneyard

Your Stand Up Comedian Mt Rushmore

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I haven’t had much time to think about this so I’m not leading out with mine. I’ll post after giving some thought. Wanted to get you thinking about it too. Who you got?

Reaction Score
Maybe it is not anybody else's style and he is like 90 and maybe isn't doing it anymore, but I like Jackie Mason.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Mason and Dangerfield are in the conversation. George and Gracie as well. Somebody will probably mention Seinfeld, I want to think about him. Jack Benny and Bob Hope come to mind as well. This is actually really tough. If I had to pick one guy though, I think I’d go with George Carlin for no other reason than his stuff always makes me laugh.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Okay. Let's get this discussion away from the Borsch Belt and a bit more into the last half century.

Richard Pryor
George Carlin
Dave Chappelle
Chris Rock
Lol, I can’t believe I missed three out of four of that list. They all should be part of the discussion.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Modern Era Names I’m working with:

Chris Rock
Dave Chapelle
Bill Burr
Louis CK (I know he’s cancelled)
Jim Jeffries
Jim Gaffigan
Sebastian Maniscalco
Mulaney

Timeless:
Carlin
Kennison
Murphy
Pryor
Williams
Izzard

Williams is my only lock so far

Reaction Score
Okay. Let's get this discussion away from the Borsch Belt and a bit more into the last half century.

Richard Pryor
George Carlin
Dave Chappelle
Chris Rock
Add Robin Williams.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily my favorites, and I don't know that these ultimately make it onto Rushmore, but some more that should at least be debated for a Top 10-20 list based on overall popularity/longevity:

-Jim Breuer
-Jeff Foxworthy
-Steven Wright
-Joan Rivers

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If one were to base their 4 on influence in modern comedy, I think it's pretty easy:
Washington = Bruce
Jefferson = Cosby
Lincoln = Pryor
Teddy = Carlin

You'd be hard pressed to find a long-time name comedian who wasn't influenced by at least two of those four.

Dangerfield was fantastic, but his influence was more on helping aspiring comics rise than stylistic. Closest thing to a Dangerfield today is Jimmy Carr, although he's far less family friendly.

My 21 Century version - guys I go back to again and again when I want a laugh:
  • Burr
  • Chappelle
  • Jeffries
  • CK (although since CK's cancellation, Stanhope is 1st alternate)

That said, I've probably watched about 300 comedy specials on Netflix and Prime and there's a ton of talent out there, along with far too many guys I would've loved to see more of if they hadn't died way too young. And there's a ton of total crap that somehow makes money.

Maniscalco wouldn't sniff my top 100. His writing sucks. A big tell is that most up-and-comers and many famous comics got their start in writing rooms for sitcoms or for other comics. SM has none of that. For me, writing is everything.

Reaction Score
If you’ve ever watched any of Jamie Foxx’s old comedy specials, he’d have to be in consideration.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Modern Era Names I’m working with:

Chris Rock
Dave Chapelle
Bill Burr
Louis CK (I know he’s cancelled)
Jim Jeffries
Jim Gaffigan
Sebastian Maniscalco
Mulaney

Timeless:
Carlin
Kennison
Murphy
Pryor
Williams
Izzard

Williams is my only lock so far

Carlin is the only lock for me so far.

Reaction Score
I saw Dangerfield at Yale a good 30 years ago, and his public persona versus his stand up act were polar opposites. His set was beyond profane and dirty, but absolutely hysterical. He would just start riffing on things and you weren't even done laughing at a joke and he already was throwing out 3 more jokes in a row. I have seen Chris Rock, Seinfeld and Eddie Izzard, but Rodney is still the king.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom