OT: - Your favorite album (or cd, or download, etc.) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Your favorite album (or cd, or download, etc.)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
1569669745837.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Jumping Into the Scrum/Dog Pile

One of my favs from my man Bob Seger as a youth, now and older Bob sings with another pretty good singer and yes he's still [Running] Against The Wind

Reaction Score
This is my fav Beatles album of all time - and I think it's the greatest album by any group, ever. These 2 guys have a fun time reviewing it, it was "new" to them:

Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour were all released within a 2 year span of each other. If there was a more productive, higher quality period of popular music produced in that short of span, I'm not aware of it.

Reaction Score
Side 1 especially
Yea, I agree - side 1 is incredible, right up there with anyone's else's "best sides ever" I would say. Today and Comin Back to Me are 2 gorgeous and poignant tracks that are not well known. I see it's ranked at #146 on Rolling Stone's top 500 albums of all time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For me it was Jackson Browne’s “Late For the Sky”. Listened to this before almost every college game. I was always haunted by the lyrics in “For a Dancer”, and the reality of the lyrics in “The Late Show”- “maybe people ask you how you’re doing because it’s easier than letting on how little they could care”. Great singer-songwriter.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour were all released within a 2 year span of each other. If there was a more productive, higher quality period of popular music produced in that short of span, I'm not aware of it.

Creedence actually had a similar run. Bayou Country, Green River, Willie and the Poor Boys, and Cosmo's Factory were released in the span of about 18 months. (Their first album came out just 25 months before their fifth.) They all went multi-platinum and all except for the first spawned multiple singles, and they were very influential. Creedence actually outsold the Beatles in 1969, but were washed up just a couple of years later.

You've motivated me to listen to their first five, and I'm about halfway through them. For that I thank you!

Reaction Score
Wrecking Ball, by Emmy Lou Harris.
I like many of the songs on the record. But my favorite would have to be her cover of the title track, which is a Neil Young song. When I first heard the lyrics, "I'll wear something pretty and white," I tried to imagine a past that was simpler, and when courtship was something special.

There are several outstanding country and folk singers - then there is Emmy Lou.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Wanted-The Outlaws. Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, TomPall and the Glaser Brothers, and Jessie Colter. Doesn't get much better in country.

Thanks for making it easy to post Sheryl's song!!

Reaction Score
There are several outstanding country and folk singers - then there is Emmy Lou.

She just got major props - and deservedly so - the other night on Ken Burns PBS special about the history of country music.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I will give a one-album answer to a slightly different question: If there is a "perfect" album, it's Kind of Blue. I've been listening to it for 45 years, and to this day I can't find a fault with it. I wouldn't change a single note. I'm not sure I can say that about another album. (I'm about a month late wishing it a happy 60th birthday).

Another thing I love about it is that it's kind of the antithesis of the modern pop album that involves months of writing, months in the studio, months of mixing, another month in the studio, more mixing, and a month of promotion before it ever comes out. From Miles (and possibly Bill Evans) sketching out the tunes to wrapping recording was only a few days according to Evans's liner notes.

Honestly, I like Kind Of Blue, and it remains a big audiophile favorite. But I prefer to listen to almost any of his Prestige albums of standards like "Miles", "Relaxin' ", "Workin' ", "Steamin' ", etc. I also prefer listening to his great quintet albums such as "Sorcerer", "ESP", "Miles Smiles" etc. But good Miles is good anytime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom