You Can Scout Arkansas on SEC Channel Tonight (1/25) at 7 PM | The Boneyard

You Can Scout Arkansas on SEC Channel Tonight (1/25) at 7 PM

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Arkansas will be playing Georgia (another good team that beat TN by 1 point) on the SEC channel tonight at 7 PM. I'm sure that the Boneyard will watch and comment thoroughly enough to give the assistant coaches the evening off.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Speaking of the Arkansas game...do we have any idea of when we will hear about Paige's
availability? Last report I saw was from a couple of days ago declaring that she was
day-to-day and was 'probable' for Thursday. Anyone got credible info?

Reaction Score
I have seen several Arkansas games this year. Two things stood out with me:

1. they can shoot from outside

2. very often, they play a weak defense
Pretty much. They are DDMO team that loves to shoot the 3 ball. They will push the tempo. Defense, like other teams, is there but pretty suspect. Good game to test the conditioning levels of the team.

Reaction Score
I have seen several Arkansas games this year. Two things stood out with me:

1. they can shoot from outside

2. very often, they play a weak defense
3. Chelsea Dungee is the real deal. Averaging over 20 points per game, also she knows how to draw fouls. She's the only player I'm a little nervous about. In my opinion, Slocum has been a little underwhelming in a Razorbacks jersey but she can also turn it up. I'm cautiously optimistic on how we match up with them (we just need to stay out of foul trouble and use our bigs strategically). I'm excited to watch how the dawgs defense matches up with Arkansas offense tonight. Will be watching!

Ps: my first reply ever on here! Heyyy!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I've seen them play plenty this season to put out the following expert scout report:

1. They suck at defense.
2. They suck at rebounding.
3. They shoot boatloads of 3s and hope they go in.

For the life of me I do not know how Baylor was unable to exploit their obvious size and rebounding advantage to the tune of 100+ points. See Arkansas' performance against Maryland as reference. If the Terps hadn't let their foot off the gas in 4Q, they might've scored 140.

Reaction Score
So far watching Ark Ga
1) They can't stop Olivia, AG, or even Griffin, so no turnovers on entry passes to the post is a key and we'll make a lot of layups, (Please have Paige available to make those passes or swing the ball for good angles)(should be easy to make the pass when they front us).
2) Stick close to 3 point shooters and they seem willing to try to drive by the defender rather than shoot contested. Better to make them 2 point shooters.
3) Georgia's big has let her Arkansas counterpart catch the ball uncontested a step behind the foul line and nothing bad has happened. I think our big can stay in the paint.
4) If our guards make them drive, and Olivia can stay in the paint, just lead them into Olivia to rim protect, don't foul the driver.
5) Olivia protect the rim on drives without picking up cheap fouls swatting down on the smaller guards.
6) None of our guards nor Mir will be a mismatch to their players so we can switch defensively all day
7) They have played man to man so far which shouldn't tease us into shooting a inordinate # of 3's like a zone might
8) I don't think they have any important advantages at any position. 1 girl with a headband off the bench looks to be fast and aggressive with the ball but not totally impactful.
9) Griffin will rebound everything

Respectfully submitted for pregame thinking

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
3. Chelsea Dungee is the real deal. Averaging over 20 points per game, also she knows how to draw fouls. She's the only player I'm a little nervous about. In my opinion, Slocum has been a little underwhelming in a Razorbacks jersey but she can also turn it up. I'm cautiously optimistic on how we match up with them (we just need to stay out of foul trouble and use our bigs strategically). I'm excited to watch how the dawgs defense matches up with Arkansas offense tonight. Will be watching!

Ps: my first reply ever on here! Heyyy!
Nice job @Luckystrike . BTW, did you know that LSMFT?

Reaction Score
Watching the game now. Guards are quick and run a spread offense with a lot of change of directions. Dungee is a very good player. Liv has to play the post not the wing Thursday and can get their post into foul trouble with just her basic moves. They are vulnerable to offensive rebounding as well. They like to run pick and rolls from the high post with an open lane so switching will be key. 3 point shooting has been mostly non-existent in the 4th quarter so they are driving and forcing fouls. Our guards are bigger and stronger and they have to not settle for 3s but try to drive and shoot shorter pull ups. Georgia just won in the last second. Coaching is good.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Georgia gets the win in a very close game 75-73. Georgia freshman Sarah Ashlee Barker, who made a great play to save the ball for Georgia to tie it up late, is the daughter of former Bama quarterback Jay Barker and country music sweetheart Sara Evans. Nice win in a tough game for the Dawgs.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I've seen them play plenty this season to put out the following expert scout report:

1. They suck at defense.
2. They suck at rebounding.
3. They shoot boatloads of 3s and hope they go in.

For the life of me I do not know how Baylor was unable to exploit their obvious size and rebounding advantage to the tune of 100+ points. See Arkansas' performance against Maryland as reference. If the Terps hadn't let their foot off the gas in 4Q, they might've scored 140.
Arkansas attacked the basket all game vs Baylor resulting in layups and/or FT’s. Baylor was a step slow and no longer has a shot blocker like Cox to protect the rim.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Arky tried everything in the last three minutes to give this one away. They finally succeeded.

As others have, I've seen Arkansas several times this season. There are two things UConn needs to do to win:

Stay reasonably close to the three-point shooters.

Stay out of foul trouble. The Razorbacks are like the Notre Dame teams of yore: Dribble really fast into the lane, throw your body at a defender and throw up a prayer. They draw a LOT of fouls that way. UConn needs not to take the bait.

If UConn does both of those, it's no contest.

Last edited:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Had to google this ?? no I didn’t. Thanks!
When we were kids my buddy's Mom and Dad smoked Luckies. So Tim would sneak a few and we were so cool smoking them in the alley. My introduction to the famous initialism! BTW, they were terrible, but we were super cool !

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When we were kids my buddy's Mom and Dad smoked Luckies. So Tim would sneak a few and we were so cool smoking them in the alley. My introduction to the famous initialism! BTW, they were terrible, but we were super cool !
My dad smoked Camels, so that was my cigarette of choice if I wanted to look cool while coughing and choking.....,:cool:

Reaction Score
Watching the game now. Guards are quick and run a spread offense with a lot of change of directions. Dungee is a very good player. Liv has to play the post not the wing Thursday and can get their post into foul trouble with just her basic moves. They are vulnerable to offensive rebounding as well. They like to run pick and rolls from the high post with an open lane so switching will be key. 3 point shooting has been mostly non-existent in the 4th quarter so they are driving and forcing fouls. Our guards are bigger and stronger and they have to not settle for 3s but try to drive and shoot shorter pull ups. Georgia just won in the last second. Coaching is good.
Great scouting!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Arkansas just isn't a good team despite having talented players. Dungee is taking too many shots, the offense is too one on one oriented, and they have zero post presence. They're getting outrebounded by 11 rebounds per game in SEC play and start four players under 6 feet and have a 6-1 center who isn't involved in the offense. Slocum can be a very solid point guard and playmaker (she was NFOY at Maryland and averaged 6 assists per game) but the offense is too trigger happy and one on one for her to thrive.

Defensively they give up 74 ppg, and if you look at just games against projected tournament teams (9 games) they're giving up 85.7 ppg. That is awful by any measure. In several games it's clear they have no defensive discipline and straight up don't put forth effort at times. That's poor coaching which is on Neighbors.

UCONN is going to be a worst case scenario for Arkansas since they can run, pass the ball, and aggressively go for rebounds. And they're disciplined. I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit of UCONN cracks 100, which South Carolina did earlier this month and Maryland did too, almost hitting 100 in just 3 quarters of play. I don't think Arkansas will pose any challenge to UCONN, but it is likely they'll make the tournament which will help UCONN's resume even if it doesn't give them a big boost. At the end of the day, everything is on S-curve this year with no home court advantage so seeding isn't likely to be nearly as important as it would've been a year ago.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Arkansas attacked the basket all game vs Baylor resulting in layups and/or FT’s. Baylor was a step slow and no longer has a shot blocker like Cox to protect the rim.
Very true, but all the defensive containment problems in the world should not have prevented Baylor from offensive rebounding at will and scoring enough points to make Arkansas' 83 pale by comparison.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I saw a familiar face...who is that? Destiny Slocum?...gads she must
be almost 30...What is this, her 6th or 7th season?
Arkansas actually has 3 5th year seniors on the Team (Slocum, Ramirez, & Dungee)- who could all be back next year for their 6th year of college.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Arkansas actually has 3 5th year seniors on the Team (Slocum, Ramirez, & Dungee)- who could all be back next year for their 6th year of college.
What happened to Ramirez? She does nothing but shoot and looked like she was practicing the shot put.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What happened to Ramirez? She does nothing but shoot and looked like she was practicing the shot put.
She really never developed into anything but a thirsty jump shooter. She did not maximize her time at USA basketball twice as an invited player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom