Yarders post covid concert/s that they would like to attend? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Yarders post covid concert/s that they would like to attend?

Reaction Score
It was a beautiful night and a great show. Sound was excellent. I was surprised to see that they are playing almost the same set list each show on this tour, which is very un-Wilco-like, but it is a very good and varied set list, and I was relieved that they are not playing more from the new album, which I don't love. The band seemed loose and in good spirits (with some nice Jeff crowd banter), and we got a bonus third encore of "Kicking Television," which they apparently hadn't played since 2014. As you might expect, "Jesus, Etc.," "Impossible Germany" and "California Stars" were among the highlights; and I always love anything off A.M., so I was happy to hear "Box Full of Letters."

Good summary here. I decided to go at about 5:45 that evening. It was definitely the right decision.

Reaction Score
It was a beautiful night and a great show. Sound was excellent. I was surprised to see that they are playing almost the same set list each show on this tour, which is very un-Wilco-like, but it is a very good and varied set list, and I was relieved that they are not playing more from the new album, which I don't love. The band seemed loose and in good spirits (with some nice Jeff crowd banter), and we got a bonus third encore of "Kicking Television," which they apparently hadn't played since 2014. As you might expect, "Jesus, Etc.," "Impossible Germany" and "California Stars" were among the highlights; and I always love anything off A.M., so I was happy to hear "Box Full of Letters."

How was Built to Spill?

Reaction Score
That Sacred Rose festival in Chicago looks like it has a great lineup
If I had known about it I would've gone but probably a good thing I didn't. Sounds like the festival was a disaster, nothing worked properly and concert goers had thousands of dollars worth of fake charges on their cards.

Reaction Score
If I had known about it I would've gone but probably a good thing I didn't. Sounds like the festival was a disaster, nothing worked properly and concert goers had thousands of dollars worth of fake charges on their cards.
heard that, also heard they cancelled much of the last day because of a threat of storms that never ended up coming.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Van Morrison tonight. Tremendous show. Shorter than I’d like but then he is an old man. I think it was a bit short on hits, but still very good. The band was phenomenal. There was no encore instead Gloria went on for over 20 minutes, with solos frome everyone in the band that was the finale. The opening act was James Saunders, he was terrific He also came out for several songs with Van. Harmonica and a hollow body Gibson
2BA68D70-A120-41A7-8C16-BA77B9715AED.jpeg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How was Built to Spill?
We went to dinner beforehand and got in late and only saw their last three or four songs, but they sounded better and more interesting than I was expecting.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Van Morrison tonight. Tremendous show. Shorter than I’d like but then he is an old man. I think it was a bit short on hits, but still very good. The band was phenomenal. There was no encore instead Gloria went on for over 20 minutes, with solos frome everyone in the band that was the finale. The opening act was James Saunders, he was terrific He also came out for several songs with Van. Harmonica and a hollow body Gibson View attachment 78804
Nice. I see you got “Dweller on the Threshold” and “In the Garden,” two of my faves.

I believe you mean James Hunter. He’s been playing with Van for many years now, and also has his own band. He’s great. I recommend his own albums, too.

Reaction Score
We went to dinner beforehand and got in late and only saw their last three or four songs, but they sounded better and more interesting than I was expecting.

Two of my favorite bands of the last 25 years. I’m going to the San Diego show in a couple weeks. No BTS though. BTS is a little less accessible on first listen than Wilco but when the switch flips they are a truly spectacular band.

Reaction Score
I went to see Greta Van Fleet last weekend in the Mohegan Sun Arena. I was easily twice as old as 95% of the people there. My kids got me into them and I gotta admit, I'm impressed. They have chops and play solid Rock and Roll. The kid who sings can belt it out and I was amazed at how effortlessly he sings. People like to pigeonhole them as Led Zep ripoffs, but as a monster Led Zep fan, I don't believe that's the case. I definitely see the Zep influence on their music, but I also see (hear) flashes of Black Sabbath, Rush, the Stones and even Ted Nugent to name a few.

Reaction Score
With his childlike thirst for the nectar of life, Jonathan Richman’s show at Fairfield One was just what I needed as the weather is cooling and the day darkening.

8F8014F3-E0EB-4731-9142-8F6CBB532318.jpeg

Reaction Score
Any concerts lined up for anyone?

April - Ryan Montbleau Band in Fairfield. Don't know much about him or the band, but their bassist is Marc Friedman, the bassist of The Slip, a favorite of another regular poster here. Back then, he was known for playing a Fender Fretless Jazz bass, which was my inspiration to get a fretless once I finished college.

August - The National in New Haven. Always wanted to see them live and picked up two tickets today. Also, will be first time at Westville!

Reaction Score
Caught Ryan Montbleau for the first time last night at the The Warehouse at FTC in Fairfield.

I initially got tickets weeks ago for a chance to catch his bassist, Marc Friedman, play live. Originally a member of the Providence/Boston based jazz/jam/indie band, The Slip, he was a formative bass hero of mine in high school and college whose style inspired me to purchase my fretless Fender Jazz bass as a college graduation present (he played a fretless Precision).

Anywho, back to the show. It was "fine". Montbleau's band was very talented: Friedman and the drummer were a tight rhythm section with a diverse arsenal of various grooves. The guy on keys was subtle but he ripped some beautiful solos on the Hammond B3. I was a fan of the guitarist too, played a Strat was a very classic Strat sound (think Nile Rodgers, but a bit softer in tone) and never did too much. Overall, no one in the band was flashy, but all four guys were super talented.

Montbleau had some endearing qualities, but his songs didn't really resonate with me: like picture Jason Mraz appealing to a jam band crowd, a song about longing for love followed by a song with psilocybin in the lyrics.

I might have liked the show more twenty years ago, but also the crowd was pretty dead considering the overall positive vibe of the show. Has anyone else been to shows at The Warehouse? I've been to three or four and each time the crowd is super chatty and "too cool"...I mean, it's Fairfield, a lovely town in itself, but not a place where I'd imagine people letting loose for a few hours...like too many guys telling non-receptive ears about the quality of whatever beer they just got from the bar and too many women talking to themselves about the next vacation they plan on taking...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We have tickets for several shows.

First up is Taylor Swift in May at Gillette. Through some bizarre events, we didn't get tickets, then we did, then somehow we ended up in Belichick's suite, with flood access as well.

Bryan Adams and Joan Jett at Boston Garden. Wife wanted to go. I saw Joan Jett on Spring Weekend at UConn's Memorial Stadium in 1986? She was on just before Modern English, who were standing next to me in the crowd watching her. Can't top that.

Got Cure tickets in Mansfield, MA, but not great seats. Will keep trying to upgrade. Robert Smith doing some creative ticket things.

Got good seats for The Pixies at the new MGM place @ Fenway this summer.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
We have tickets for several shows.

First up is Taylor Swift in May at Gillette. Through some bizarre events, we didn't get tickets, then we did, then somehow we ended up in Belichick's suite, with flood access as well.

Bryan Adams and Joan Jett at Boston Garden. Wife wanted to go. I saw Joan Jett on Spring Weekend at UConn's Memorial Stadium in 1986? She was on just before Modern English, who were standing next to me in the crowd watching her. Can't top that.

Got Cure tickets in Mansfield, MA, but not great seats. Will keep trying to upgrade. Robert Smith doing some creative ticket things.

Got good seats for The Pixies at the new MGM place @ Fenway this summer.
Went to the Flyers game last night and saw an advertisement for Bryan Adams and Joan Jett. I thought I had seen it all until they then showed an advertisement for Duran Duran at Wells Fargo Center as well.

I was surprised that they are all still popular enough to be playing that big of an arena.

Reaction Score
Has anyone been to Trinity on Main in New Britain? It's a converted church. The gallery on their website is amazing. Going there this weekend to see Presence (CT based Zep Tribute) and Mauve Lloyd (Pink Floyd Tribute).

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So far, lined up...

William Prince May 2 at The Space Ballroom in Hamden.

Robert Randolph and the Family Band at The Wolf Den, May 20.

Tedeschi Trucks Band with Ziggy Marley in July.

Stick Figure this summer, too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sound on Sound
09/30/23-10/01/23

View attachment 87331
I'm pretty sure if that Sunday show were happening here in Pgh, the Gin Blossoms would be headlining :eek:

I saw a festival advertised for somewhere around here where Hozier was the headliner. Never heard of them. Also surprised that Deep Banana Blackout is still going. They almost seem to have been around as long as NRBQ, lol.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Cool Cool Cool is playing a free show at Bailey Beach Rowayton 7/30. BYOB free for all

Reaction Score
Trinity on Main in New Britain is a great venue. Presence and Mauve Lloyd were both better than I expected.

Next up:
Brit Floyd 4/29 @ The Oakdale
Guns n' Roses 8/15 @ Met Life
Stevie Nicks and Billy Joel 9/23 @ Gillette

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member