Yarders post covid concert/s that they would like to attend? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Yarders post covid concert/s that they would like to attend?

Reaction Score
Evidently, I am going to see Tears for Fears and Garbage tonight. Tears for Fears has a new album apparently. Reviews from the tour so far are that Garbage has been fantastic as an opening act. Don't really know Garbage and only the three hits from Tears for Fears. So now I'm on YouTube so I can have some idea of what to expect.

This was supposed to be my wife and daughter at this show. Daughter has a big summer school college project due tomorrow and a group meeting tonight. My wife has a sprained ankle and is in a walking boot. So this should be an adventure. Seems I will need to drive in to Boston, which always makes me crazy.

I saw tears for fears in 2014 with my mom (who is a big fan), was an awesome show. Never realized that the lead singer of Garbage was Scottish. Where is the show?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I saw tears for fears in 2014 with my mom (who is a big fan), was an awesome show. Never realized that the lead singer of Garbage was Scottish. Where is the show?
My favorite venue, Leader Bank Pavilion in Boston. There isn't a bad seat in the house. Will probably stop by the Harpoon outdoor beer hall pre-show. It's right next to it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My favorite venue, Leader Bank Pavilion in Boston. There isn't a bad seat in the house. Will probably stop by the Harpoon outdoor beer hall pre-show. It's right next to it.

Nice venue, only been once, for Lyle Lovett & His Large Band back in late 90s. Excellent sound for outdoors.

I would plunk down some $ for Tears for Fears. Saw an intimate studio thing they did recently on YT and was surprised how good they were live.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Evidently, I am going to see Tears for Fears and Garbage tonight. Tears for Fears has a new album apparently. Reviews from the tour so far are that Garbage has been fantastic as an opening act. Don't really know Garbage and only the three hits from Tears for Fears. So now I'm on YouTube so I can have some idea of what to expect.

This was supposed to be my wife and daughter at this show. Daughter has a big summer school college project due tomorrow and a group meeting tonight. My wife has a sprained ankle and is in a walking boot. So this should be an adventure. Seems I will need to drive in to Boston, which always makes me crazy.
I would check with the box office and explain your wife's situation and ask if they have ADA accessible seats available for you to swap.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I would check with the box office and explain your wife's situation and ask if they have ADA accessible seats available for you to swap.
Didn't think of that. They do have some wheelchair seats. I doubt she will want to move further back. Need to find out where we are, I don't have the tickets because I wasn't supposed to go.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Didn't think of that. They do have some wheelchair seats. I doubt she will want to move further back. Need to find out where we are, I don't have the tickets because I wasn't supposed to go.
I strained my calf a couple months ago and was in a walking boot for a few days; and when I first injured it almost three years ago I was in one for two weeks. Walking wasn't so much the issue as was sitting without being able to extend my leg. I haven't been to this venue, but if the space between the rows is tight, that might get uncomfortable for her. I see that they also have tables with chairs around them, and I think that would be more comfortable.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I strained my calf a couple months ago and was in a walking boot for a few days; and when I first injured it almost three years ago I was in one for two weeks. Walking wasn't so much the issue as was sitting without being able to extend my leg. I haven't been to this venue, but if the space between the rows is tight, that might get uncomfortable for her. I see that they also tables with chairs around them, and I think that would be more comfortable.
Those tables are in the back. No way I talk her into that. There is a VIP club (tent) for pre-show, and I can still buy those tickets. There are some small VIP "boxes" in good seats, but those are sold out. Some aisle seats are saved for wheelchairs, so maybe they'd let us sit there.

Reaction Score
Enjoy the show @HuskyHawk, they are very good live saw them at the Boston Orpheum on the Everybody Loves A Happy Ending. Musically spot on. Get acquainted to this album that never got any radio play.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Garbage from the metal tables and chairs way in back. We will move up soon, but this is the view from the worst seats more or less. Guy took pity on us due to the boot.

04A59E52-5A01-4AAC-BDA6-E0B92C1E9596.jpeg

Reaction Score
Plant + Krauss at Forest Hills was excellent. Started the show with a lot of their best cuts from Raising Sand and overall a very-well curated set. The backing band was super talented and very tight while the sprinkling of Zeppelin covers (Rock and Roll, When the Levee Breaks, Battle of Evermore) were more like reinterpretations of the original songs that fit the Americana style of the set.

We ended up parking south of the stadium off 69th Ave about a 1/2 mile away, making for a lovely walk to and from the stadium and a super easy exit. Highly recommend that for whose interested in visiting and wanting to drive. The stadium has also had some major upgrades from when I last was there: definitely an homage to the 40s and 50s with their branding and general atmosphere and their amenities were super convenient. Tons of food options for reasonable prices ($15ish entrees) where I'd honestly just have dinner there next time I see a show (their carnitas tacos looked awesome). Honestly, the only downside of the show were that there were a lot of super wasted people, like hundreds of 50s and 60-somethings stumbling up and down the stadium steps, something I never get if you're paying good money to see an amazing show.

View attachment 76738
Good lineup the rest of the summer: my wife and I both like Fleet Foxes and they are playing there in August. Phoebe Bridgers plays there on Thursday, but from what live footage I've seen, I don't want to pay $$$ to see someone perform just to hear a bunch of teenage girls singing along to every song.
Just got my tickets yesterday for Plant and Krauss @ Foxwoods in September. I saw them back in 2008 and they were fantastic. Can't wait!

Reaction Score
Just got my tickets yesterday for Plant and Krauss @ Foxwoods in September. I saw them back in 2008 and they were fantastic. Can't wait!
Have a great time! I don't know anything about the music venue at Foxwood's, but I hope the acoustics let the music breathe a little bit...perfect show for a smallerish outside venue like Forest Hills.

In other concert news, I tried buying tickets for The National at the Capitol Theatre, but Ticketmaster bots priced me out...tickets in the back row for $50 are now $140+ resale. I logged onto both presales and the show "sold out" before my turn. Ticketmaster.

I haven't bought tickets yet, but I'd like to see Wilco at the Westville Music Bowl later in August. Built to Spill is their opener, a band I've always liked but never got a chance to see live. The tickets are reasonable, but the fees are $20/ticket...what I'll probably do is pick up tickets in person at the box office when I'm in New Haven to catch Beach House in July (it'll be my first time seeing a show at the College Street Music Hall).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My daughter went to see Big Time Rush in Boston on Sunday night. She said it was a great show, loud crowd (not many olds like me). She texted me to tell me "That TikTok girl who's dad went to UConn is on" (Dixie D'Amelio). No UConn attire in evidence. I asked if she was any good and the reply was "yes, actually".

Reaction Score
I saw Start Making Sense a few weeks ago at the Space Ballroom in Hamden. The opening act was a duo from Portland, ME called Muddy Ruckus. Guy on guitar, girl on drums, all original music with lots of noise and distortion. Very White Stripes-esque. I found myself really liking them. They claim they are on all music platforms and I'm giving them a hard listen on Spotify. Still enjoying them.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Next week we have Elton John at Gillette Stadium. Bought the tickets pre Covid I believe (for a show summer 2020) and it was put off until now. Last time I looked at Gillette a few weeks ago they were tearing it up for major renovations. I hope it's ready. Have been hoping Elton would live long enough to actually put on this show.

Reaction Score
Last night, I got in early for great seats to see The Bad Plus at the Blue Note.

Over the last twenty years, I’ve seen this band about ten times, the previous times in their original piano trio lineup and last night my first show seeing them as a quartet w guitar and sax.

1E1FAE90-78C9-431E-B709-6225F9A272CF.jpeg

A jazz band that always defied genres, their new set up is even more unique sounding with wider textures and more abstract in terms of being a “jazz band”.

If you like jazz or have any interest in music a bit off-center, see them if you haven’t yet. Their drummer David King is worth the price of admission himself.

On a greater scale, it felt so good to be back at a jazz club in Manhattan. Between the Blue Note and the Village Vanguard, those two venues easily rank atop my favorite places in Manhattan with its rich history, comfort and almost like singular spaces that transcend time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Last night, I got in early for great seats to see The Bad Plus at the Blue Note.

Over the last twenty years, I’ve seen this band about ten times, the previous times in their original piano trio lineup and last night my first show seeing them as a quartet w guitar and sax.

View attachment 77683

A jazz band that always defied genres, their new set up is even more unique sounding with wider textures and more abstract in terms of being a “jazz band”.

If you like jazz or have any interest in music a bit off-center, see them if you haven’t yet. Their drummer David King is worth the price of admission himself.

On a greater scale, it felt so good to be back at a jazz club in Manhattan. Between the Blue Note and the Village Vanguard, those two venues easily rank atop my favorite places in Manhattan with its rich history, comfort and almost like singular spaces that transcend time.
Sounds great. I like the Bad Plus and have a few of their albums but have never seen them live. I should fix that.

Love the Blue Note; don't think I've ever been to the Village Vanguard. I should remedy that, too.

I only recently discovered a relatively new (around four years old I think) jazz club in Old Lyme, around 20 minutes from me. The Side Door Jazz Club is a tiny room (60 people) connected to the Old Lyme Inn. My wife and I saw Jon Cleary--a long-time New Orleans favorite of ours, whom we've seen dozens of times--there last month and it was great. Might be a nice overnight for you; Florence Griswold Museum is across the street.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Saw JJ Grey & Mofro at Jonathan Edwards Winery last night in North Stonington. Had never been there before; pretty spot and cool venue. Great show. Apparently the first show of their tour and they were pretty pumped. Played for two hours with no break.

I'll definitely go back there for another show. Martin Sexton is there on Sunday 8/28, but that's the night after we see Wilco in New Haven and I don't know if I can do them back-to-back. He is great, too though.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So, severe thunderstorms meant we were sidelined at the Yardhouse and missed Joan Jett. Poison had a short but decent set for some reason. Def Leppard was bang on, and Joey Elliot is really looking (and dressing) like Robert Plant (or perhaps James May). Sounded great. Motley Crue was meh. Too much distortion, vocals are not great. The crowd was fun regardless, lots of 50s and 60s with younger folks mixed in.

Fenway sucks as a concert venue, but as a Red Sox fan it is very good to stand out in left field next to the Green Monster. It’s hallowed ground
6A4F33C8-81E9-4797-9B06-D28A97617AD9.jpeg

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
skynyrd. big e. 10/2.
too bad ol charlie ain't alive. those charlie/lynyrd shows were awesome, every single time.
mebbe kid rock will make an appearance.

now, that's old time rock and roll.
crowd gonna scare the pants off those Cambridge types.
noice.

Excuuuuuse me? hardly.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
luke, 11/5 at Mohegan.

'and i ain't got to see my ex future mother in law, anymore.'
he stole that one from me. never married, but divorced a lot. a real lot, and her 'relations' often play a big part. u only get one life. keepin it real.

'no, i ain't goin to another of ur family's kindergarden graduation parties.
we're going fishing, or surfing. at least, i am....'

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
got the word a few days back that the posse was heading for Little Big Town tonight at turning stone. meet them at metro Hartford to go along. ya know, there just ain't no easy way to drive to Hartford from Rhody.
'not me. the weather ain't to my liking to be stuck in a car for that, but iffn you want to do this, fine, let's go.. you've got till friday night to decide if ur gonna subject me to a truck henfest, cuz if not us, there's others who would like to go.' give and take, an all that.
she picked this one.

battin pert near 1000% on lowerin the blood pressure, and dramatically increasin the snooze time, for my mate over the years. they've also had an odd regularity to quittin their jobs, too.
no power boats over at Pattaconk. we'll suffer.

Reaction Score
Heading to The Capitol Theatre tonight to see KALEO, an Icelandic band that my wife's friend recommended to her and we're going to the show together.

I know nothing about the band, which will be my first "blind" rock concert since college where I go in with no previous knowledge, but I love the Cap and it'll by my first time there since the start of the pandemic so it'll be fun regardless of the show.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member