Yarders post covid concert/s that they would like to attend? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Yarders post covid concert/s that they would like to attend?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Awesome! I'll see him on Friday and can't wait for it. Any openers? (hope not)

No opener. He came on a bit late, but I think the crowd was slow to arrive (Friday night Boston traffic). Played about two hours solid. Time between set and encore was maybe a minute or two at most.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Any openers? (hope not)
I hear ya. I've seen some really bad openers. Most are just mediocre. I think the concept has lost its meaning. Usually I just want them to hurry up and get off the stage. I've been to a few shows w/ no opener--Cowboy Junkies, Gillian Welch, I think the Wailin Jennys. Wish more did that.

Reaction Score
I had a blast at the John Fogarty show at the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts, located on the grounds of the original Woodstock.

About a two hour set, mostly of his CCR classics. He sounded great, good energy and I was unaware until yesterday of his guitar skills. The band was super tight and it's pretty cool that his sons were the other two guitar players. I was most impressed with their drummer.

It's a hike, but Bethel Woods is a lovely venue.

View recent photos.jpg

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I hear ya. I've seen some really bad openers. Most are just mediocre. I think the concept has lost its meaning. Usually I just want them to hurry up and get off the stage. I've been to a few shows w/ no opener--Cowboy Junkies, Gillian Welch, I think the Wailin Jennys. Wish more did that.
OTOH, I went to a Petty show at the Meadows with Crosby, Stills and Nash opening. Now I had seen them before and Steven Stills is always great on guitar, but he kicked it up several levels that night. I caught the other guys watching and smiling, "Steven Stills, ladies and gentlemen" said Nash after another great solo. When it was all over, Crosby was waiting for Stills who had to walk across the stage, they high-fived and walked away just beaming. It's great when the artists care that much, even guys who have been around forever. And I swear, Mike Campbell must have felt it. He was really on his game that night as well. One of my favorite shows ever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I caught Jon Batiste at Stamford's Mill River Park, part of their Alive at Five events.

Fun show: boundless energy and Batiste is a true special talent. I've first heard about him back in high school when he was a wunderkind jazz pianist, part of the legendary Batiste musical family.

Aside from his gig at Colbert, I didn't know much about his music, but picked up tickets quickly because I was curious about checking him out live:

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 6.34.11 AM.jpg

Great band, worked the crowd well and impossible not to have a good time at his show. While piano is his main instrument, he mostly energized his way around the stage as the bandleader, even played some guitar, saxophone and melodica. For a guy who "spreads good vibes and positivity", I was impressed how he was able to do so in a genuine sense of inspiration rather than in banal, eye-roll-causing generic jabber.

I was expecting more jazz, but definitely soul, pop, hip-hop and R&B influences...a nice gumbo, if you will.

Maybe it was the hurricane, or the sedateness of Fairfield County crowds in general, but the crowd nowhere matched the energy Batiste deserved. Great performance, but would have been a better "show" if I were at Jazzfest or somewhere else that was more tapped in.

Next up: Yo La Tengo at FTC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hear ya. I've seen some really bad openers. Most are just mediocre. I think the concept has lost its meaning.
However, I love when you pay to see the opener and are lukewarm about seeing the headliner.

For example, my wife and I love Phosphorescent and we've never seen him live. He opened for Father John Misty at the Capitol. After catching the opening act, we stuck around for about 45 minutes of the FJM show, weren't inspired to stay up late on a work night and drive home happy to catch one of our favorite bands.

Has anyone seen a show where they paid to see the headliner but liked the opener better? In college, I saw Peter, Bjorn and John at the Paradise, hated their set, but loved the opener, Fujiya & Miyagi, a band I had no idea about entering the show, but their set blew my mind.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
However, I love when you pay to see the opener and are lukewarm about seeing the headliner.
Off the top of my head I only recall doing that once.

Has anyone seen a show where they paid to see the headliner but liked the opener better?
I saw MARINA (used to be known as Marina and the Diamonds), she didn't have a live band on that tour. It's the only show I've ever experienced that. I was disgusted. It was glorified karaoke. The opener DID have a band, and I very much enjoyed that performance more. Allie X. I'd never heard of her before seeing her listed on the concert bill.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

For example, my wife and I love Phosphorescent and we've never seen him live. He opened for Father John Misty at the Capitol. After catching the opening act, we stuck around for about 45 minutes of the FJM show, weren't inspired to stay up late on a work night and drive home happy to catch one of our favorite bands.

Has anyone seen a show where they paid to see the headliner but liked the opener better? In college, I saw Peter, Bjorn and John at the Paradise, hated their set, but loved the opener, Fujiya & Miyagi, a band I had no idea about entering the show, but their set blew my mind.
When Tom Petty played Lake Compounce, I went there to see the opener - The Replacements. Unfortunately, the 'Mats really didn't want to be there and performed like it. Petty wasn't bad, but I was in a bad mood after the 'Mats mailed it in.

The one specific time I thought the opener blew away the featured act was during The Who's "Quadrophenia" tour at MSG in '74. I've mentioned it a few times here, but Pete and Roger to this day say it was their worst performance ever, due to sound problems. No encore, they were disgusted and just left the stage after about an hour and five minutes. However, Golden Earring opened, was fantastic, and the crowd was actually chanting for them during The Who's set.

Reaction Score
Just picked up a ticket to see Mike Gordon and Leo Kottke play in Norwalk in December.

I was in high school when Phish had their first big hiatus and the Gordon/Kottke duo was my favorite side project. Helped introduce me to Leo Kottke who continues to be a favorite of mine.

Would have been excited to see them play anywhere, but even more awesome to see them just down the street from me.

Reaction Score
1635339220640.png

Saw Elvis Costello and The Imposters at The Capital Theater NY last night. What an amazing show. Guest guitarist far right in photo is Charlie Sexton. They are playing in Providence , RI on Thursday night 10/28 and they are heading west from here on their tour. Highly recommend catching them if you can, very electric/plugged in and rocking.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Going to see the first Genesis show in Boston in December. No other plans.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
View attachment 70529

Saw Elvis Costello and The Imposters at The Capital Theater NY last night. What an amazing show. Guest guitarist far right in photo is Charlie Sexton. They are playing in Providence , RI on Thursday night 10/28 and they are heading west from here on their tour. Highly recommend catching them if you can, very electric/plugged in and rocking.

That would be a good one. Too late now to try to go tomorrow night.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Isnt Phil Collin's in pretty bad shape health wise?
He's definitely not in drumming shape. He did some solo shows and his son Nick was drumming with him. I don't know if Nick is on the Genesis tour or if Chester Thompson is available.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

years back at the mohegan, i brought a pal who had a band, to see headliner skynard cuz he never heard of them, and im a fan.
george thorogood was the opener, who i also like very much.
when it was over, he said 'i liked the opener a lot, but notsomuch the headliner.'
on that day, it was true. sometimes, people have a bad day at work.
and in honor for the upcoming season...
move over little dog, the big ol dog is movin in...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Next month my wife and I are attending our first concerts since 2019. We have Big Head Todd and the Monsters at Infinity Hall on 11/11 and the Zep tribute band Get The Led out on 11/13 at the Garde Arts Center in New London. If you're a fan of Zep's music these guys are a must see. No wigs or dragon suits, just a solid reproduction of Zep's studio music. They're also at the Oakdale on 11/12

I've been a big fan of BHT since the '90s and I've never seen them. I've seen that they have recently released a bunch of cover tunes on Spotify. Cheap Sunglasses, Brandy, Life of Illusion to name a few, but Rosalita featuring John Popper on the harp is fantastic.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
but Rosalita featuring John Popper on the harp is fantastic.
It was an earnest and solid attempt by Todd, but nah to the mouth organ subbing for sax. YMMV.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Next month my wife and I are attending our first concerts since 2019. We have Big Head Todd and the Monsters at Infinity Hall on 11/11 and the Zep tribute band Get The Led out on 11/13 at the Garde Arts Center in New London. If you're a fan of Zep's music these guys are a must see. No wigs or dragon suits, just a solid reproduction of Zep's studio music. They're also at the Oakdale on 11/12

I've been a big fan of BHT since the '90s and I've never seen them. I've seen that they have recently released a bunch of cover tunes on Spotify. Cheap Sunglasses, Brandy, Life of Illusion to name a few, but Rosalita featuring John Popper on the harp is fantastic.

Saw Big Head Todd and the Monsters at the KC Blues and Jazz fest concert back in the late 90s. They were really good. I was a bit surprised that they didn't sustain more success.

Reaction Score
Saw Big Head Todd and the Monsters at the KC Blues and Jazz fest concert back in the late 90s. They were really good. I was a bit surprised that they didn't sustain more success.
Surprises me too. I think their music is great and Todd Park Mohr is a very good guitarist. I love his dedication to the blues too. He put out tribute albums of both Robert Johnson's and Willie Dixon's music.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I read there is a group of studio legends touring under the name of The Immediate Family. Sounded interesting and would check it out if they came to the area. Turns out they are playing some place called TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik in S. Windsor. I never heard of it and I live in S. Windsor. Anyone know the deal there? The website is basically a bunch of microphones.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I read there is a group of studio legends touring under the name of The Immediate Family. Sounded interesting and would check it out if they came to the area. Turns out they are playing some place called TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik in S. Windsor. I never heard of it and I live in S. Windsor. Anyone know the deal there? The website is basically a bunch of microphones.
This is the venue. Guessing it will be very intimate. There's a "clinic" before the show.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom