Yarders post covid concert/s that they would like to attend? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Yarders post covid concert/s that they would like to attend?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Heading to The Capitol Theatre tonight to see KALEO, an Icelandic band that my wife's friend recommended to her and we're going to the show together.

I know nothing about the band, which will be my first "blind" rock concert since college where I go in with no previous knowledge, but I love the Cap and it'll by my first time there since the start of the pandemic so it'll be fun regardless of the show.
Do you have any pre-show go-tos there? Mine was Coal's Pizza for a while, and they closed during the pandemic. We also hit a really good Mexican restaurant a couple times but I can't recall the name and I know there are quite a few in the area.

Reaction Score
Do you have any pre-show go-tos there? Mine was Coal's Pizza for a while, and they closed during the pandemic. We also hit a really good Mexican restaurant a couple times but I can't recall the name and I know there are quite a few in the area.
My wife and I have a nostalgia for Coyote Flaco. It's not particularly amazing, but it was a place that didn't card when I was in high school/early college and spent early dates there with my wife.

It's a modest place, but there's a sense of love and care into the food and service.

It's not open on Mondays, so we'll have to go somewhere else. Taqueria La Picardia is right across the street and it's a got an interesting vibe but I haven't been there in 5-6 years so I don't remember the food very well, at the very least, I didn't hate it.

I went to Port Chester all the time 10-15 years when I single and lived at my mom's home in Greenwich, but I rarely go there now after moving to Norwalk. As a kid, my dad would always take me to the indoor flea markets where the Whole Foods now is. Always liked Port Chester.

But to be honest, since I'm just a 25ish minute drive from the Cap, I usually just cook dinner at home before heading over for a show.

Reaction Score

There's a big Colony location there (near the river) with a giant parking lot, I cant remember how it compares to the OG Stamford location I'm guessing not as great but its solid pizza and cold beer before a show.

Reaction Score
Totally forgot about El Tio, a family run Mexican (Jalisco, according to Google) spot next door to the Cap.

We had dinner at El Tio before the show, my first time eating there in 6-7 years and it was just as good as I remember. Chicken enchiladas verdes were nice and bright, rice and beans were excellent and all their salsas were homemade. Great freshly prepared guac too. The service is very casual, as in the staff is very cordial/chatty to its locals/regulars and you need to put in a bit of effort to get their attention, but it's a small restaurant and it's endearing that to see the staff so attentive/caring/loving to the non-concert crowd.

The KALEO show was fine, pretty much generic blues rock where the singer tried to sound weathered and husky yet he also had a pretty impressive range. When I think of blues rock, I think of the pocket and also the feel of the lyrics: the band was almost too tight and the lyrics/songs felt more like performances than actual heartfelt songs. The words I picked up included Mexico, cigarette, woman, that type of lyricism...C to C+ ish concert for concert sake if you exclude the venue, group I was with, etc.

Nonetheless, it was good time, fun seeing a show with almost no knowledge of the band and I loved being back at the Cap, solidifying again why it's one of, if not, my favorite local music venue. There was also the added benefit of going with a friend of my wife who was super jazzed to be there: a working mom with two young kids and has spent almost all of her time in America during the pandemic. It was her first American concert and the whole experience blew her mind, so that made the whole experience all that much better.

Would have loved to see The National perform there in September, but when I tried buying tickets the second they were for sale, bots took over and now a pair of tickets start at $180 apiece.

No ticketed concerts in my future, but I'd like to catch one of the Tarrytown, NY free jazz concerts within the next two weeks and there's a really good Neil Diamond tribute band playing at the Norwalk beach later this month. I first saw him as an ironic what the heck way, but I ended up really liking it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tonight we have Cheap Trick opening for Rod Steward at Xfinity Center Mansfield, MA. Going with another couple, should be a fun night. Pro-tip we always buy the parking pass for the closer lot. Worth it for getting out of there (and in if you are late).

The Blondie concert for this Sunday got postponed. They had to postpone the NY area shows as well, Covid got the band it seems.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Mike sold me the tickets. ;)

I can't say for sure, but I think this will be show 7 or 8 for me. Sometimes they opened like tonight (once for J. Geils), sometimes headlined. They are just an excellent live band. Never seen Rod. This was another one postponed for two years.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My youngest daughter (16) is going to her first concert on her own (i.e., with friends, not parents) tonight. Morgan Wallen at the Xfinity in Hartford. She is earning a ton of money in her first job (in a local restaurant), and a couple months ago she asked if she could spend $100 of her own money to buy a lawn seat to this show, which she told us was a good deal. We shrugged it off, not really knowing who the guy is, and said fine.

None of us, including her, are country music fans, but when we were on vacation last month the people in the house next to us were playing his music while we were outside playing cornhole, and she surprised all of us by dancing to it and knowing every word.

Come to learn this week that it's apparently the hottest ticket of the summer. Lawn seats are going for $400 or more right now; reserved seats are going for $750 to $1,500!!!

I'm guessing it's going to be quite the scene. Fingers crossed she avoids any stupidity that may arise...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My youngest daughter (16) is going to her first concert on her own (i.e., with friends, not parents) tonight. Morgan Wallen at the Xfinity in Hartford. She is earning a ton of money in her first job (in a local restaurant), and a couple months ago she asked if she could spend $100 of her own money to buy a lawn seat to this show, which she told us was a good deal. We shrugged it off, not really knowing who the guy is, and said fine.

None of us, including her, are country music fans, but when we were on vacation last month the people in the house next to us were playing his music while we were outside playing cornhole, and she surprised all of us by dancing to it and knowing every word.

Come to learn this week that it's apparently the hottest ticket of the summer. Lawn seats are going for $400 or more right now; reserved seats are going for $750 to $1,500!!!

I'm guessing it's going to be quite the scene. Fingers crossed she avoids any stupidity that may arise...
I've seen his name several times. No idea who he is, or until moments ago, that he was a he (I assumed she based on the name). Maybe he's the next Kenny Chesney or Brad Paisley. Chesney had a really strong crossover appeal to people who aren't normally country music fans (especially Parrotheads). Paisley too for different reasons, fantastic guitar work and funny songs, he's like a country Van Halen of sorts.

He's not terrible. Listened to "Whiskey Glasses" which was pretty funny/clever.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Chesney had a really strong crossover appeal to people who aren't normally country music fans
oh, he's legendary in these parts.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
oh, he's legendary in these parts.
Yes. Here too. They used to call it Country Fest and then they had to shut it down after too many young people were sent to the emergency room with alcohol poisoning. He comes here even when he's not touring. No Shoes Nation was named and born at Gillette Stadium. It's wild.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This set list from Rod Steward is really encouraging. Just the hits plus some really appealing covers.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This set list from Rod Steward is really encouraging. Just the hits plus some really appealing covers.

He has (or at least had) one of the greatest rock-n-roll voices of all time imo, but I hate his cover of Van's "Have I Told You Lately" with the white hot heat of a 1,000 suns.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
He has (or at least had) one of the greatest rock-n-roll voices of all time imo, but I hate his cover of Van's "Have I Told You Lately" with the white hot heat of a 1,000 suns.
Hope he still has his voice. Like my Elton show, this was supposed to be summer 2020. I confess I think it's a decent cover, if not Van. He does a really good job with the "Great American Songbook" tunes like Etta James.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hope he still has his voice. Like my Elton show, this was supposed to be summer 2020. I confess I think it's a decent cover, if not Van. He does a really good job with the "Great American Songbook" tunes like Etta James.
Sounds lounge-lizardy to me when he gets in that mode.

Reaction Score

Still having their voice is certainly a concern as performers age. I remember a number of years ago (well over 10 years) my wife and I went to see Gordon Lightfoot at the Garde Theater in New London. We were rather disappointed. I thought he squinted like Clint Eastwood and his voice sounded in a way similar to Bob Dylan. That voice may work for Dylan, but for us it didn't work for Gordon Lightfoot.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Cheap Trick and Rod Stewart were both great. Rick Nielsen sprained his ankle at the prior show, so Robin’s kid was on guitar. He’s very talented. Robin sounds as good as ever, but they rest his voice. Tom sang a song, then Robin’s son did, then they did The Flame, which has to be brutal to sing.

Rod Stewart had an odd band. It included guys playing all the main instruments but also 6 attractive women. Three were singers, sometimes backup sometimes lead (Tina Turner duet and Call Me from Blondie). Yes, Rod resting his voice too. One woman played snare drums and the Harp. Two played violin/fiddle and one of those also played guitar and mandolin. They weren’t props like at a Motley Crue show, the ladies had talent. Rod sounded really good and was a superb entertainer. They modified several songs. I suppose to show his voice, he did the beginning of Maggie Mae a-cappella. Unfortunately, the guitar intro to Maggie Mae is one of my favorite bits of music and it was lost. It’s not like Ron Wood was there anyway.

We had very good seats, which helps.

E6657DF7-6AEA-4A5F-B9CC-99E7B6F14F18.jpeg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Head's up for anyone selling concert tickets via Ticketmaster's verified resell process. I just sold my extra two tickets for Van Morrison, and Ticketmaster won't pay me unless I provided SS#. Evidently they are reporting it to the IRS and sending me a 1099 because the prices was over $300. I could have lowered the price and save myself money.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Sound on Sound replaced the Black Pumas with The Roots. IMO that's not a fair trade, The Roots are a great act, but the Black Pumas are an up and coming band, while the Roots (who change out members often, even Questlove) are on the back side of their career.

I have no intention of attending unless I am gifted some type of VIP or working pass. I have a feeling there will be lots of grumbling about $16 beers and $8 waters once it's all over. Also curious if they'll limit access to the UB campus during the show, because I know lots of people who enjoyed an act or two at the old GOTV from outside the fence for the cost of the beer in their cooler. Will Koplic & Co in conjunction with Ganim shut that down? The fact they are still advertising for tickets confirms it's not a hard sell out, maybe look for Groupon, StubHub or CashOrTrade?

Reaction Score
Saw Rage Against the Machine last Monday (8/8) at Madison Square Garden. From center ice/court to the boards/basket was all GA and a complete mosh pit the entire night. Fortunately for my old rear end, I was in a luxury box with food and Tito's.

Really, really good show. Tons of energy. Forgot how good Tom Morello is on guitar. Zack De Le Rocha hurt his leg earlier in the tour and was relegated to pretty much sitting on a speaker most of the night, but that really didn't take away from the energy in the building.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So Wednesday we went to see (what’s left of) The Beach Boys. Mike Love, Bruce Johnston and a solid 7 member band behind them (or in front singing lead for quite a few songs needing that falsetto from Carl or Al). I’ve long been a fan and they were good. Cohasset Music Circus is a tiny venue, “in the round”. Love called it “singing on a lazy Susan”. But we were about 10 feet from the stage. Good write up of the show.

E4EC6598-8694-4A8D-BC62-1F0EC6705046.jpeg

Reaction Score
How do you “ease your troubles” when hearing that song?

No idea til now it was a cover.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@8893 and others: how was Wilco?
It was a beautiful night and a great show. Sound was excellent. I was surprised to see that they are playing almost the same set list each show on this tour, which is very un-Wilco-like, but it is a very good and varied set list, and I was relieved that they are not playing more from the new album, which I don't love. The band seemed loose and in good spirits (with some nice Jeff crowd banter), and we got a bonus third encore of "Kicking Television," which they apparently hadn't played since 2014. As you might expect, "Jesus, Etc.," "Impossible Germany" and "California Stars" were among the highlights; and I always love anything off A.M., so I was happy to hear "Box Full of Letters."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom