Would you rather have "respect" or wins?? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Would you rather have "respect" or wins??

Reaction Score
Here's some examples, just from the last tournament:

Miss State: unranked, got a 5 seed
Buffalo: ranked 18th, got a 6 seed
Nevada: ranked 14th, got a 7 seed
Cincy: ranked 24th, got a 7 seed
Iowa St: unranked, got a 6 seed
Wofford: ranked 20, got a 7 seed

There are a myriad of other examples from years prior, but I didn't even have to go back further than the last tourney to find SIX examples where teams were seeded far different than their rankings.

So there you have some FACTS.
Great, you've shown that P5 schools are overseeded relative to their ranking, while everyone else is underseeded.

Your data is evidence that we need to be even more securely in the top 25 to get a 6 seed.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Here's some examples, just from the last tournament:

Miss State: unranked, got a 5 seed
Buffalo: ranked 18th, got a 6 seed
Nevada: ranked 14th, got a 7 seed
Cincy: ranked 24th, got a 7 seed
Iowa St: unranked, got a 6 seed
Wofford: ranked 20, got a 7 seed

There are a myriad of other examples from years prior, but I didn't even have to go back further than the last tourney to find SIX examples where teams were seeded far different than their rankings.

So there you have some FACTS.
But that doesn't mean the committee doesn't look at, recall or consider rankings at all
I just don't buy that at all
All year these ADs and ex ADs have been following the teams and looking at rankings yet they step in the room, smoke their cigars and take some magical serum that erases that knowledge from their memory banks?
Perhaps they are told to do so, suggested to do so but you feel ALL do it?
Nope - can't see that at all

Reaction Score
All I care about is "Victims of the Huskies" Anyone remember that T shirt? I think it was a season back in the 90"s. It had our schedule on the back and a box next to each opponent you could check off. The Tourney is all about matchups as Hurley noted. As long as we are playing as a team and have depth which we do it is winning time!

Reaction Score
You’re all missing my point so I’ll try it differently. Being ranked vs not ranked by definition means you are talking about the bottom of the rankings. My snapshot from the 2019 bracket proves that a teams ranking once you get outside the top 15 or so does not directly correlate to their seeding. I gave 6 examples where that was true just from that one year. I think that’s a good size but I’m not doing anymore research. That said, I guarantee it happened in previous years.

Yes I want us to be good. Yes I want us to be HIGHLY ranked. I just don’t get the obsession of what 25th means vs the 3rd “other team receiving votes”. It clearly doesn’t matter in seeding. It’s not changing any recruits’ minds in whether to come here. And it’s based on a bunch of peoples’ opinions who have probably never seen us play this year.

It ain’t hard to rank Gonzaga #1. But the bottom 10-15 of the poll is always screwed up. Ohio St has lost 4 games in a row for Gods sake and is STILL in the top 10!! So I just don’t get the obsession with being ranked as in somehow it changes us. Winning changes us. Rankings mean squat. You get ranked because you win. So let’s just win. And all the other crap will take care of itself.

Reaction Score
Haters coming around....
al pacino scarface GIF

Reaction Score
So I just don’t get the obsession with being ranked as in somehow it changes us. Winning changes us. Rankings mean squat. You get ranked because you win.
You get ranked because you win.

So if you are ranked, it's because you're winning.

Therefore, I want to be ranked.

Also, being ranked comes with ancillary benefits as others have noted.

I get that you are saying that being ranked does not necessarily mean that all your hopes and your dreams come true as a team.

But everyone understands that and suggests that being ranked is the effect of having a good season and can be part of a larger narrative of success that is needed for recruiting, i.e. sustaining success.

You posed the title as a disjunctive syllogism when really it is a hypothetical syllogism.

It's not EITHER winning OR "respect" (i.e. ranking)

It's "If you win, you will have that respect."

And having that respect is usually (though not necessarily) an indicator that you are winning.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Just read through 3 pages and didn’t see it mentioned once... maybe it’s just me, but I solely care about our “respect” this time of year because seeding is very important to making a deep run. A top 7 seed guarantees we wouldn’t have to face a 1 seed until at least the sweet 16, giving us a much better chance to get to the second weekend or beyond.

a sweet 16 or better on hurleys resume would be great for him, the players who will be returning next year for a deep run, our recruiting and the trajectory program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom