Would you rather have "respect" or wins?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would you rather have "respect" or wins??

Reaction Score
The committee NEVER has and NEVER will look at rankings when they seed teams. It's a fact. But go on.
Here's some examples, just from the last tournament:

Miss State: unranked, got a 5 seed
Buffalo: ranked 18th, got a 6 seed
Nevada: ranked 14th, got a 7 seed
Cincy: ranked 24th, got a 7 seed
Iowa St: unranked, got a 6 seed
Wofford: ranked 20, got a 7 seed

There are a myriad of other examples from years prior, but I didn't even have to go back further than the last tourney to find SIX examples where teams were seeded far different than their rankings.

So there you have some FACTS.

Reaction Score
@uconngb Just for the laughs and giggles. What was the last top 25 team at the end of the regualr season to not be a top 6-7 seed??????

Reaction Score
@uconngb Just for the laughs and giggles. What was the last top 25 team at the end of the regualr season to not be a top 6-7 seed??

@uconngb Just for the laughs and giggles. What was the last top 25 team at the end of the regualr season to not be a top 6-7 seed??????
Just gave it to you. In the LAST tourney, two teams INSIDE the top 20 didn't even get a 5 seed. OR a 6 seed. They got a 7 seed. And two UNRANKED teams got better seeds, one a 5 and one a 6.

Reaction Score
Here's some examples, just from the last tournament:

Miss State: unranked, got a 5 seed
Buffalo: ranked 18th, got a 6 seed
Nevada: ranked 14th, got a 7 seed
Cincy: ranked 24th, got a 7 seed
Iowa St: unranked, got a 6 seed
Wofford: ranked 20, got a 7 seed

There are a myriad of other examples from years prior, but I didn't even have to go back further than the last tourney to find SIX examples where teams were seeded far different than their rankings.

So there you have some FACTS.
So not 1 top 25 team was seeded worse than 7. I digress

Reaction Score
Just gave it to you. In the LAST tourney, two teams INSIDE the top 20 didn't even get a 5 seed. OR a 6 seed. They got a 7 seed. And two UNRANKED teams got better seeds, one a 5 and one a 6.
So, what youre saying(just to be clear) Is that being in the top 25 almost gurantees you a top 6-7 seed? As i've been stating this whole time

Reaction Score
So, what youre saying(just to be clear) Is that being in the top 25 almost gurantees you a top 6-7 seed? As i've been stating this whole time
No, I'm saying that is YOUR logic. And it's wrong. I'd much rather be Miss St or Iowa St in that scenario (ie, UNRANKED and higher seeded) than Buffalo or Nevada. But according to you, it's necessarily better to be ranked come seeding time.

Reaction Score
I swear people are just creating threads to troll themselves now.
I started this thread to point out the ridiculousness of people obsessing about rankings and seedings. Somehow it went off the rails. I don't give a crap where we are ranked or seeded. I know what I'm seeing on the court. We have a chance. That's all I care about.

Reaction Score
No, I'm saying that is YOUR logic. And it's wrong. I'd much rather be Miss St or Iowa St in that scenario (ie, UNRANKED and higher seeded) than Buffalo or Nevada. But according to you, it's necessarily better to be ranked come seeding time.
I don't have a "logic" lmaoo. Being ranked it almost always better than being unranked. Youre stuck on one facet of it(seeding) when everyone in this thread as stated multiple reaasons outside of seeding why its better. Youre not worth responding to at this point. You literally proved my point regarding seeding, and you did it while thinking you were making a point. Being in the top 25 almost gurantees you a seed 1-7. THE END. Convince yourself otherwise

Reaction Score
I don't have a "logic" lmaoo. Being ranked it almost always better than being unranked. Youre stuck on one facet of it(seeding) when everyone in this thread as stated multiple reaasons outside of seeding why its better. Youre not worth responding to at this point. You literally proved my point regarding seeding, and you did it while thinking you were making a point. Being in the top 25 almost gurantees you a seed 1-7. THE END. Convince yourself otherwise
Obviously the best teams are ranked. Any idiot knows that. It's at the bottom of the rankings, where we are currently hovering, that it's meaningless. Which I proved. You think whatever you want. Maybe you can start a petition to lobby the guys at the Des Moines Gazette and the Nebraska Ledger to pay more attention so we can get their votes. I'm sure that will dramatically impact our seeding come selection Sunday......and even more importantly, impact our performance in the tournament. Me, I'll focus on watching basketball and let our play do the talking.

Reaction Score
Obviously the best teams are ranked. Any idiot knows that. It's at the bottom of the rankings, where we are currently hovering, that it's meaningless. Which I proved. You think whatever you want. Maybe you can start a petition to lobby the guys at the Des Moines Gazette and the Nebraska Ledger to pay more attention so we can get their votes. I'm sure that will dramatically impact our seeding come selection Sunday......and even more importantly, impact our performance in the tournament. Me, I'll focus on watching basketball and let our play do the talking.
Again idgaf about seeding when it comes to being ranked, that’s such a small facet. Wth is wrong with you. Let’s talk perception, exposure, recruiting. UConn’s rise is all due to those things. And being ranked bolsters those things even more. If all the best teams are ranked, why wouldn’t you care about being ranked? Lmao

Reaction Score
I kind of get what the op is saying. I wouldn’t say being ranked doesn’t matter. Sometimes the matchup is a bigger deal then your seed. For instance in 2014 we had a vulnerable 2 seeded Nova in our bracket, St Joes was the much better team going into the tournament as the winner of that first game was most likely gonna beat Nova, not to mention the regionals being in MSG. Also in 2014 Kentucky as an 8 seeded faced an undefeated Wichita State team in rd 2 that had a weak schedule. So the comitte kind of punished Wichita State by having Kentucky in its 2nd rd matchup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Both. When you're not respected you can't recruit, when you can't recruit you don't win. Why this escapes some of you is baffling. UConn ascension into what it is now started after the move to the big east. Why? Because we garnered more attention because of who we were playing. Recognition, respect are major factors in elevating a program to where UConn belongs. Some of you want to be the cinderella school and that just isn't who we are.
We weren't respected coming out of the AAC, but Hurley and his staff did a pretty good job of recruiting. And before you say that it's because of The Big East, I believe Bouk was pre BE. Just win and everything will take care of itself.

Reaction Score
We weren't respected coming out of the AAC, but Hurley and his staff did a pretty good job of recruiting. And before you say that it's because of The Big East, I believe Bouk was pre BE. Just win and everything will take care of itself.
We still had some respect. We were still UConn, we didn’t all of a sudden become St. Joes

Reaction Score
False choice. Wins get you respect.

This team has a chance to gain respect every time they step on the court. They do that by winning.

We didn't deserve respect in the AAC because we were piling up losing seasons. If we had run away with league titles by piling up wins, we would have all the respect we wanted.

Reaction Score
Dude youre lost. Forget what the committee looks at. What im telling you is being ranked in the top 25 almost directly reflects who the 1-6 seeds will be. Whether the committee uses it or not, its almost always an accurate reflection of who's who going into the tourney. You can argue on placement in the top 25, but theyre all second weekend potential tournament teams
I've seen articles saying that the rankings align with the seedings more than anything else. I don't know if the selection committee does this on purpose or whether things just seem to fall that way more often than not.

Reaction Score
When you win you force respect, you dont just get it respect is earned not given. When you win you force respect down peoples throats and back them up into a corner.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Let's flip this around: @uconngb, can you point to any 1-4 seed that wasn't ranked, since rankings don't matter and all?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom