Would UConn fans be interested in a Northeastern football-only conference? | The Boneyard

Would UConn fans be interested in a Northeastern football-only conference?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Hear me out:

My theory assumes three things:
1) The NCAA will allow a football-only conference (with the Convention coming up in September, this may happen)
2) The Big 12 adds BYU, UCF, UH, and Cincy
3) The MW adds Memphis, SMU, and Wichita State (Olympic sports)

We would be part of an 8-team 7-game/year football-only conference. It would allow us to schedule up to 5 P5 home and home series a year.

Here's the line-up with the Olympic sports conferences they would be in:
UConn (Big East)
UMass (A-10)
Army (Patriot)
Navy (Patriot)
Temple (A-10)
Buffalo (America East)
ECU (CAA)
USF (CAA)

There would be no CCG so as to allow Navy and Army to play their yearly game after the CCGs are finished.

Our prospective schedule could look something like this:

1. Syracuse (H)
2. Vanderbilt (A)
3. Boston College (H)
4. Purdue (A)
5. Duke (H)
6. USF (A)
7. Buffalo (H)
8. Temple (A)
9. Army (H)
10. ECU (A)
11. UMass (H)
12. Navy (A)

What do you think?

Reaction Score
1) Army and Navy would have no interest
2) UConn can get games with umass and temple without that

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I like it. One FCS, one buy game vs P4, 2 other P4, one other game.

Reaction Score
Being able to drive to all but 1 of your conference games is a nice bonus. Add West Virginia and Liberty. Not sure what Temple is going to do but it has to get basketball out of the AAChithole. The A-10 already has 14 programs.

Reaction Score
Being able to drive to all but 1 of your conference games is a nice bonus. Add West Virginia and Liberty. Not sure what Temple is going to do but it has to get basketball out of the AAChithole. The A-10 already has 14 programs.
Typical boneyard take gone too far by including wvu lol. For the love of god why would they leave the big12 for that

Reaction Score
Typical boneyard take gone too far by including wvu lol. For the love of god why would they leave the big12 for that
The poaching isn't finished by a damn sight. At some point WVU will either be in a power conference or not. You never know.

Reaction Score
The poaching isn't finished by a damn sight. At some point WVU will either be in a power conference or not. You never know.
I bet it’s finished for the P5* until the ACC gor expires in fifteen years, give or take a couple.

The G5 will continue playing musical chairs for a bit but to no consequence. Will be satisfying watching whatever Aresco attempts to save his job.

* i think it’s still a clear P5 now that the big12 sucked the life out of the aac. The gap between the big12 and the sixth best conference, whichever that is now, is enormous

Reaction Score
My ideal conference for football only is very similar.

UConn
UMass
UMaine
URI
Coastal Carolina
Liberty
Temple
Army
Navy
ODU

Reaction Score
I bet it’s finished for the P5* until the ACC gor expires in fifteen years, give or take a couple.

The G5 will continue playing musical chairs for a bit but to no consequence. Will be satisfying watching whatever Aresco attempts to save his job.

* i think it’s still a clear P5 now that the big12 sucked the life out of the aac. The gap between the big12 and the sixth best conference, whichever that is now, is enormous
Perhaps the P4.5. The gap between the SEC and the big12 is also enormous.

Reaction Score
There's no chance Navy & Army would join that league. They need to play national schedules for recruiting purposes. Neither UMaine nor URI is in position to be able to step up (of the New England schools UNH would be the most competitive in an upgrade scenario)

Reaction Score
There's no chance Navy & Army would join that league. They need to play national schedules for recruiting purposes. Neither UMaine nor URI is in position to be able to step up (of the New England schools UNH would be the most competitive in an upgrade scenario)
Agreee but At least people are starting to be more realistic about who our actual peers are

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
This is just so sad. Not interested at all.

Reaction Score
No. No way UCONN should get involved with this league. UCONN is better off being indy and build the football resume on its own. UCONN just needs to somehow land a great football media deal on its own.

Reaction Score
UCONN is better off being indy …… UCONN just needs to somehow land a great football media deal on its own.
——
Easier said than done. The cold hard fact is that at this point in time UConn football does not have a value to third party media.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind a football scheduling alliance between Army, Navy, UMass, Temple and UConn. Buffalo can join too and join the A10 for basketball and Olympic sports. Gives us almost half a schedule with schools people may care about. Navy and Army may go for it. They play a lot of cupcakes.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind a football scheduling alliance between Army, Navy, UMass, Temple and UConn. Buffalo can join too and join the A10 for basketball and Olympic sports. Gives us almost half a schedule with schools people may care about. Navy and Army may go for it. They play a lot of cupcakes.
I was thinking the same thing with those 6 programs. Similar to the Philly Big 5 in hoops. An informal Northeastern competition regardless of any other conference association which could potentially lead to something bigger.

Reaction Score
——
Easier said than done. The cold hard fact is that at this point in time UConn football does not have a value to third party media.
UCONN signed a national media football deal with CBS Sports. They just need to win some games, get some eye balls, and sign a better contract. It is within UCONN's control.

Reaction Score
UConn will have to develop as a football "brand" in order to maximize a football media contract.

Folks tuned in (about 8 million) to watch FSU host Notre Dame in Tallahassee not because they expected a great football game between the Irish who went 10-2 last year and the Noles who went 3-6, but rather they tuned in for the brands..... and a good game happened to break out...and that is the importance to a network of branding.

Building the UConn football brand won't happen overnight....or in a couple of years. When you are not a blue blood, becoming a new blood will take fan patience and commitment over time as good coaching and upgraded recruiting move the team into a brand seen as a respected independent.

Reaction Score
UConn will have to develop as a football "brand" in order to maximize a football media contract.

Folks tuned in (about 8 million) to watch FSU host Notre Dame in Tallahassee not because they expected a great football game between the Irish who went 10-2 last year and the Noles who went 3-6, but rather they tuned in for the brands..... and a good game happened to break out...and that is the importance to a network of branding.

Building the UConn football brand won't happen overnight....or in a couple of years. When you are not a blue blood, becoming a new blood will take fan patience and commitment over time as good coaching and upgraded recruiting move the team into a brand seen as a respected independent.

I agree. However, UConn seems to make headlines for just about everything. Even the Edsall retirement was a big deal. If we can win some games, we'll bounce back quickly.

Reaction Score
I agree. However, UConn seems to make headlines for just about everything. Even the Edsall retirement was a big deal. If we can win some games, we'll bounce back quickly.
If UCONN can get to Boise State level, and UCONN get some interesting opponents, there is no doubt UCONN football will get eye balls.

We just need a good coach who can get UCONN some wins and sustaining it like Boise has done over the years.

Reaction Score
If UCONN can get to Boise State level, and UCONN get some interesting opponents, there is no doubt UCONN football will get eye balls.
Also if UConn gets Notre Dame on Sunday prime time, unopposed by other games, before the start of the NFL season, you’d get 8M views.

Reaction Score
Also if UConn gets Notre Dame on Sunday prime time, unopposed by other games, before the start of the NFL season, you’d get 8M views.

aye...and that's the rub....

Reaction Score
UCONN had an opportunity to sign a 10 games series with ND a while back. Once we got our football program in order, we can visit that series or something like it down the road.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom