Worst American Accent | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Worst American Accent

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Even in Connecticut, people from Nah Wich, have an accent different from the rest of Connecticut, IMO.
Pretty much swamp yankee. One of my UConn roomies had that accent from Canterbury CT.

Reaction Score
Your family was in the mob?
No but my uncle was in that world at the time sitting outside the Ravenite club on Mulberry every night. He's always sounded like one of those guys and my dad sounded the same whenever he talked with him.

Reaction Score
Lol. I’ll bet it zooms in on my street!

View attachment 78887
Hate to think that somebody from YonKiz would find my New Haven County accent or way of speaking, similar to theirs!

I always thought of them and Westchester folks as variants of New Yawkers accents.

Sometimes, Southerners have asked me if I came from New York, but I think that was because to them, all Northeastern folks sound like New Yorkers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For those with a subscription, the Times posted and interesting dialect quiz that could predict where you are from based on answers to 20 questions. In addition to asking how you pronounce certain words, they asked how you might refer to something (is it a traffic circle, rotary, etc)

After you answer each question it gives you a heat map of what part of the country uses that phrase or pronunciation, and then at the end it compiles your answers and tells you where you are from. Interestingly, some terms are pretty general (for instance apparently everyone west of the Mississippi as well as upper New England pronounces cot and caught the same. I don't, so it surprised me.), and others are very localized (if you grew up eating grinders as opposed to subs or hoagies most of you know the small region where that occurs)
View attachment 78884
I wish I could do this and confuse the hell out of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom