Worst American Accent | The Boneyard

Worst American Accent

Reaction Score
My wife watches a lot of Discovery+ home renovation shows and two shows on their current location take place in Chicago.

While some of these shows I enjoy to watch, and at worst, tolerate, she’s been binging a show called Finding Gold. The show’s couple have an awful Chicago accent, the nasally tone I’m used to but with an aggressive grating high frequency that I find straight up repulsive. Almost sounds like a perpetual head cold.

Our great nation is filled with a variety of accents: which can’t you stand the most?

Reaction Score
I can't understand a lick of what most of my in-laws say. They're from north Georgia and North Carolina near the border. So I'll say them.

Reaction Score
Boston, hands down. Gorgeous woman opens her mouth and there's a thick Boston accent and it's an automatic deal breaker.
It’s not just the Boston accent, it’s the accent combined with the Massachusetts colloquialisms.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say that they annoy me, but the dropped and added R‘s in the southeastern NE and Maine accents are jarring. Ditto for the NOLA accent….that mixes in some dropped Rs with some additions that are almost like New York City accents.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Speaking strictly accent, the worst I've ever encountered was from the corner where Tennessee, North Carolina and Georgia meet. Back when I was doing a syndicated outdoors radio program, I had a bunch of interviews with anglers from that area that I absolutely could not use, because no-one from anywhere else could understand it.

But part of accent issues is really regional dialect. I did a paper once on the concept that save for slight differences in accent, regional dialects can be very similar in disparate locales -- especially rural areas. The phrase "I'm a fixin' a git," may sound a little different in backwoods Maine than in Texas cattle country, but it always means "I'm getting ready to leave."

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say that they annoy me, but the dropped and added R‘s in the southeastern NE and Maine accents are jarring. Ditto for the NOLA accent….that mixes in some dropped Rs with some additions that are almost like New York City accents.
NOLA is tough to understand, with its influences of French Canadian, Creole and Cajun, on top of Irish and maybe a little German that does bring a NY accent to mind. But it's very melodic and pleasant to listen to, even though you may not understand every word.

Reaction Score
My wife watches a lot of Discovery+ home renovation shows and two shows on their current location take place in Chicago.

While some of these shows I enjoy to watch, and at worst, tolerate, she’s been binging a show called Finding Gold. The show’s couple have an awful Chicago accent, the nasally tone I’m used to but with an aggressive grating high frequency that I find straight up repulsive. Almost sounds like a perpetual head cold.

Our great nation is filled with a variety of accents: which can’t you stand the most?
Weirdest thing is some Italians I know from the Waterbury/Thomaston area sound just like the guys from Chicago with the thick South Side accents.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
21 years in Connecticut and I have no idear whether I picked up an accent. 25 years in New Jersey and I find myself asking “How YOU doin’”? 20 years splitting time between Florida and Massachusetts and I am all effed up! Yahall can paahhk the accent wherever

Reaction Score
I'm not a big fan of the exagerrated Queens' accent. Was set up on a blind date with a girl. She was pretty, but once she started talking, I was in hell. Her voice wasn't as nasally, but she sounded a lot like Fran Drescher. Man, I could not wait to drop her off and get her out of my car at the end of the evening.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Adirondack accent is downright weird. I have family with it.

Reaction Score
Over exaggerated New York accents are the worse. We get it, you’re from New York just speak normal with your accent and stop trying so hard.

Reaction Score
NOLA is tough to understand, with its influences of French Canadian, Creole and Cajun, on top of Irish and maybe a little German that does bring a NY accent to mind. But it's very melodic and pleasant to listen to, even though you may not understand every word.
I love the way they speak.

Reaction Score
Over exaggerated New York accents are the worse. We get it, you’re from New York just speak normal with your accent and stop trying so hard.
They don't try to exaggerate their accents. They just sound that way. One side of my family came from New York.

Maybe Fran Drescher from the Nanny exaggerated the accent on the show, but in a Youtube interview, she still sounded like the New Yorkers from the family.

Interestingly, my father's sister married a man from Salem, New York near Glens Falls,, and she barely had the NY accent. Maybe the move to the other region, toned it down from her hearing the local accent or non-accent.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pok tha cah
That would be “pock da cah”.

Still say that Southern California “Valley girl”accent is worse.

Reaction Score
Even in Connecticut, people from Nah Wich, have an accent different from the rest of Connecticut, IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom