Wordle | The Boneyard

Wordle

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I thought about posting this last week but decided to wait 'til after the slew of games and SB. Based on the thread on the main board, it appears several of you are playing. So I have a few questions and wanted to see how people are doing overall and I'm most curious about the last question.

1. How long have you been playing
  2. Best streak
  3. Current streak
  4. Have you ever failed to solve
  5. Overall stats
  6. Starting word - do you use different, the same, a rotation and why

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I thought about posting this last week but decided to wait 'til after the slew of games and SB. Based on the thread on the main board, it appears several of you are playing. So I have a few questions and wanted to see how people are doing overall and I'm most curious about the last question.

2. Best streak
  3. Current streak
  5. Overall stats
1 - 2 weeks
2 14
3 14
4 No
5 3x5, 4x5, 5x4
6 I have always used a different starting word and kind of like the idea of continuing that. It's fun for me to think of a new word everyday that has significant letters (T, R, S, N, L, E, A, I). I always try to get two vowels in the starting word as well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Curiouser
Reaction Score
  1. How long have you been playing: 18 days
  2. Best streak: 18
  3. Current streak: 18
  4. Have you ever failed to solve: No
  5. Overall stats: 1:0; 2:1; 3:6; 4:6; 5:2; 6:3
  6. Starting word - do you use different, the same, a rotation and why: Different starting word every day; I try to use two to three vowels, and try not to use vowels in the prior day's word.

Reaction Score

2. Best streak
  3. Current streak
  5. Overall stats
  1. How long have you been playing - 38 days
  2. Best streak - 19
  3. Current streak - 19
  4. Have you ever failed to solve - once
  5. Overall stats -
    1: 0
    2: 2
    3: 7
    4: 18
    5: 8
    6: 2
  6. Starting word - do you use different, the same, a rotation and why - Different word, just guess a random word. Seen all the articles about best first words to use to maximize letters but it feels cheap

Reaction Score
  1. How long have you been playing - 30 days (97% win)
  2. Best streak - 26 days
  3. Current streak - 26 days
  4. Have you ever failed to solve - Yes, early on when I started playing.
  5. Overall stats
    1 - 0
    2 - 3
    3 - 9
    4 - 11
    5 - 5
    6 - 1
  6. Starting word - do you use different, the same, a rotation and why - Different words. My first word will always have 2 of A, E or I. My first two words will always have 4 of the 5 vowels.

My only other "strategy" is that when I have 2 or 3 letters green or yellow, I fill in blanks with "X" to visualize the words. Like XARXE to see what it "could" be based on the letters I have left.

Reaction Score
The one game I lost was the word KNOLL, I got __OLL and had 2 guesses left. I was positive that no combination of the consonants left could fit together, and had to start work, so I got frustrated and just typed in random words. The word Knoll is in my company's name when I log in 30 seconds later...

Reaction Score
  1. Late December 2021
  2. I play on several devices, but maybe only not played a day or so in there during the time period. Friends post daily in our group chat. Something like 45ish.
  3. Have not failed to solve, but have gotten 6 twice.
  4. I've got a bunch of 4s, slightly less 3s, and then a little less than that 5s. A few 2s and the aforementioned 2 6s.
  5. I use the same word: "Rents". Easier to compare my performance that way. I picked it because it had an e and the rest of the letters were from wheel of fortune's "rstlne". I don't think wordle does 'S' plurals, though, so I would pick a different one if I was starting now, since I almost never get green "s" and it seems like a waste. "Stern" would be better with the same letters.
Many days I also do Dordle, globle, and did lewdle and nerdle a few times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FF70D12F-FCD6-45C9-BB99-ADEAE9C9468F.jpeg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I play on a different browser on weekends so my stats are incomplete. Stats were better before the recent run of tough words with duplicate letters.

Screenshot 2022-02-15 090450.png

Reaction Score
I've played several times but it doesn't track my stats and it doesn't look like there is a place to register. So, where do I register?

Reaction Score
  1. How long have you been playing - about 6 times over a few weeks. Plan to play daily now.
  2. Best streak - 3 for 3
  3. Current streak - 3 for 3
  4. Have you ever failed to solve - No
  5. Overall stats - 3 for 3 - once on 4th row, twice on 5th row
  6. Starting word - do you use different, the same, a rotation and why - No but sounds like a solid strategy.
It seems there must be some way to calculate the odds of not winning. 26 letters in the alphabet. 6 tries x 5 letters = 30 total letters. As letters are eliminated the word has to reveal itself. Perhaps it would be impossible to lose if there were 7 tries.

Reaction Score
  1. How long have you been playing - about 6 times over a few weeks. Plan to play daily now.
  2. Best streak - 3 for 3
  3. Current streak - 3 for 3
  4. Have you ever failed to solve - No
  5. Overall stats - 3 for 3 - once on 4th row, twice on 5th row
  6. Starting word - do you use different, the same, a rotation and why - No but sounds like a solid strategy.
It seems there must be some way to calculate the odds of not winning. 26 letters in the alphabet. 6 tries x 5 letters = 30 total letters. As letters are eliminated the word has to reveal itself. Perhaps it would be impossible to lose if there were 7 tries.
The one time it took me 6, I think the middle 3 letters were ART and there were a lot of options left with only like 3 guesses remaining. I think that'll be what gets me eventually. That I just guess wrong on something like that.

Reaction Score
The one time it took me 6, I think the middle 3 letters were ART and there were a lot of options left with only like 3 guesses remaining. I think that'll be what gets me eventually. That I just guess wrong on something like that.
Yes. The risk of guessing a word with correct (but duplicate) letters is that you don't eliminate letters. The more letters you have already, the less new letters you guess, the less you eliminate. That's why a powerful strategy is to just guess random words on 2nd try with no overlap to 1st guess. This'll lower your ceiling, but raise your floor as it were. There's a "hard mode" setting that forces you to use letters you've matched.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yes. The risk of guessing a word with correct (but duplicate) letters is that you don't eliminate letters. The more letters you have already, the less new letters you guess, the less you eliminate. That's why a powerful strategy is to just guess random words on 2nd try with no overlap to 1st guess. This'll lower your ceiling, but raise your floor as it were. There's a "hard mode" setting that forces you to use letters you've matched.
Got my first 3 this morning after my first word yielded nada. It was actually challenging to come up with a 2nd word that used none of the letters in the first one. I started with "their", then went to "cloak", even though I figured the "k" was low % play. And then the 3rd entry just became obvious.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Got my first 3 this morning after my first word yielded nada. It was actually challenging to come up with a 2nd word that used none of the letters in the first one. I started with "their", then went to "cloak", even though I figured the "k" was low % play. And then the 3rd entry just became obvious.
Holy crap; I played at 7:15 this morning:
737A2765-B52D-44F6-B0F0-C84E62E1DEED.png

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Holy crap; I played at 7:15 this morning:
Posted mine in the spoiler thread. Didn't want people to see

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Can't see your words; just your result.

It got trapped inside another spoiler tag by accident. I posted it in the other thread. Do we want this to include the spoilers?

Reaction Score
I'm 7 for 8. Current streak of 4.

1-0
2-0
3-2
4-2
5-1
6-2

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Should we merge the two threads? I wanted Spoiler in the title so people know if you come here before you do that's day's Wordle it may be spoiled

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nah. Just need another day or to make a habit of using both.

Reaction Score
Should we merge the two threads? I wanted Spoiler in the title so people know if you come here before you do that's day's Wordle it may be spoiled
The 1st rule of wordle is you wordle first thing in the morning
The 2nd rule of wordle is you wordle first thing in the morning
They know the risks of reading a wordle thread, I think.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom