Wont take much from AD to impact this team (be warned - long post) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wont take much from AD to impact this team (be warned - long post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is an interesting piece of speculation(DM's opening post). It is probably pretty safe to assume that Drummond will be a major contributor this season. However, there is always the possibility that he could be considered a major flop; Fab Melo anyone. I do believe That Dog Mania has the nature of his probable contributions down; I think that averaging double digit boards is quite optimistic.

My speculation is that Oriaki will likely defend 4 and play 5 offensively. Drummond should be able to get more offensive putbacks from the 4. I think the 5 defensively is a position where he will be less likely to pick up cheap fouls.

It is beyond hard to assess Drummonds contributions to the team before we even have a look at him in practices much less games. Still
Still The way this year's UConn team plays the game at both ends will probably differ substantially from last year's club. Over the years, UConn has become less and less of an up tempo team; my sense of the ab ilities on this roster make that trend likely to continue. Even last season particularly in the last 11 games; UConn tried to go inside first on offense. The loss of Kemba made it likely that this would continue; the addition of Drummond makes it more likely to be a profitable tactic.

Doubters of this season's squad point to the loss of Kemba creating extreme difficulty in scoring. If you remember the end of the season;
Kemba dominated the Big East tournament; he was much less dominant in the NCAA tournament. Still there is no one on the roster who has Kemba's breakdown ability. When the offense went South, or a clutch shot was needed; Kemba was there. Of course he didn't succeed every time, but his big play ability was astounding.

Will UConn have the type of success fans are expecting/yearning for? Certainly I wasn't a believer heading into last season's Big Est tournament. Can/will UConn win the close games? The defense will probably put them in position to be close in almost all games.
This should be a very good/excellent free throw shooting team. UConn lost quite a few close games in the last 2/3 of the Big East regular season play.

Getting a lot of easy baskets is the key to avoiding close games;offensive rebounds, fast breaks, and steals. I don't believe they will be able to create enough easy opportunities to avoid a lot of close games in the Big East.

aka zymurg

Reaction Score
If DD has a decent handle he might be groomed to play some two this season. I've all but eliminated Roscoe from this option. Niels A/T ratio is not very good and was similar in the German league over the summer, so I'm not sure he could be Jeremy's backup. But certainly Niels is a better option than Roscoe. So that leaves DD and his weight will be less a factor for the two than the three.

When Lamb is not in the game or at the 3, I think we'll see Bazz & Boat together in the backcourt more often than not. They found a way to win with Kemba & Napier on the floor together and and since both players are capable of playing off the ball and can score, I think that will be JC's best solution when Lamb is not at the 2. Boatright has decent length for a li'l guy and has eye popping hops. I don't know why type of defender he is. If he's a Ben Gordon defensively, then what I'm proposing won't happen too often. If he has similar skills as Napier, then expect UConn to deploy the Nat Attack. Oh...I like that one.

Last season JC tried Neils at the 2 but that didn't last too long. He used Jamal Coombs-McDaniel at the 2 on occasion with mixed results. He seemed to prefer him over Jamal Coombs-McDaniel. Most of us forget, but he often used Bev at the 2 and was sometimes in there along with Kemba & Napier in the 3G-Set.

Based on the DD clips I've seen, Daniels has a Combo-Guard handle and is a scorer. I don't know what type of defender he would make at the 2. He's freakishly long. Giffey has a solid handle for a wing but is marginal for the 2G. He is a pretty good defender though who's quicker than most realize and always works hard on D. I still think the 1 & 2 will be maned primarily by Bazz, Boat & Lamb, with the two players you mentioned as first half fill ins if any two of the 3 get into first half foul trouble. You know that once any one of these 3 gets 2 fouls in the first half, JC is going to sit them if all possible. Lamb is capable to slide over to the point and run the team. He did that a few times last season. It is inevitable that there will be some games this upcoming season where JC will have to use Giffey or DD at the 2 this up coming season.

It goes without saying that these 3 are arguably the most important players to stay healthy and eligible. There is crazy depth at all the other positions, but few options at the 1 & 2 once you get past these 3 players.

Reaction Score
"Still there is no one on the roster who has Kemba's breakdown ability." Charlie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juFbWFTSjmw Its called the "BOATSHOW" and its coming to a city near you. :)

For those who haven't seen any clips on Boatright or Daniels, you should take a gander at some. Both of them have the skills to break their man off the dribble.

Don't we have a player named Jeremy Lamb? He was very good at creating his own shot. How can anyone forget those floaters. Those weren't catch and shoot opportunistic. Those were primarily done off the dribble. Lamb along with the 2 PGs will be the primary players to execute this type of offense when needed.

You must add Napier to that as well. Seems like some here have short memories. Bazz was pretty good at getting to the basket, though sometimes got swallowed up amidst the trees. I think it was in the Butler game...or maybe the UK game, where he drove through traffic and make a beautiful up and under move for a critical basket when UConn needed some points to stop a mini-run. Hum...the more I think about it, maybe it was the UK game.

With that said, Kemba was special and few players in the entire country last season could do what he did. Breaking down defenders and taking it to the basket will be an attack by committee this season. Hopefully both Roscoe and Giffey worked hard on their handles over the summer and can be added to the mix of go-to-scorers. As far as this type of offense throughout the game, I think we'll be fine. As far as a player or two being

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
When Lamb is not in the game or at the 3, I think we'll see Bazz & Boat together in the backcourt more often than not. They found a way to win with Kemba & Napier on the floor together and and since both players are capable of playing off the ball and can score, I think that will be JC's best solution when Lamb is not at the 2. Boatright has decent length for a li'l guy and has eye popping hops. I don't know why type of defender he is. If he's a Ben Gordon defensively, then what I'm proposing won't happen too often. If he has similar skills as Napier, then expect UConn to deploy the Nat Attack. Oh...I like that one.

Last season JC tried Neils at the 2 but that didn't last too long. He used Jamal Coombs-McDaniel at the 2 on occasion with mixed results. He seemed to prefer him over Jamal Coombs-McDaniel. Most of us forget, but he often used Bev at the 2 and was sometimes in there along with Kemba & Napier in the 3G-Set.

Based on the DD clips I've seen, Daniels has a Combo-Guard handle and is a scorer. I don't know what type of defender he would make at the 2. He's freakishly long. Giffey has a solid handle for a wing but is marginal for the 2G. He is a pretty good defender though who's quicker than most realize and always works hard on D. I still think the 1 & 2 will be maned primarily by Bazz, Boat & Lamb, with the two players you mentioned as first half fill ins if any two of the 3 get into first half foul trouble. You know that once any one of these 3 gets 2 fouls in the first half, JC is going to sit them if all possible. Lamb is capable to slide over to the point and run the team. He did that a few times last season. It is inevitable that there will be some games this upcoming season where JC will have to use Giffey or DD at the 2 this up coming season.

It goes without saying that these 3 are arguably the most important players to stay healthy and eligible. There is crazy depth at all the other positions, but few options at the 1 & 2 once you get past these 3 players.
Without seeing him in Division I competition I agree that Boatright along with Shabazz and Jeremy are key players. Last season, at the end of games, there was often a lineup of Kemba, Shabazz and Jeremy. I wouldn't doubt JC would consider the three guard option at the end of games this season with Ryan being the third guard. But that means JC may need someone else to play during the remainder of the game in the 1 or 2 spot to allow the three players rest and help them avoid foul trouble.

Reaction Score
I always enjoy reading DM's write-ups, but the problem with this type of position-by-position analyses is that it doesn't speak to the single biggest factor which won us our 3rd national championship - team chemistry. From my perspective, we clearly have the talent on the court to be a Final 4 contender, and possible repeat champion. The key questions this year are whether the sophomores have become jaded or complacent, or simply less anxious to please or prove themselves, and what the departure of Kemba and the addition of RB, DD, and AD does to team dynamics and chemistry. Perhaps DogMania has some insights or speculation?

Reaction Score
This is an interesting piece of speculation(DM's opening post). It is probably pretty safe to assume that Drummond will be a major contributor this season. However, there is always the possibility that he could be considered a major flop; Fab Melo anyone. I do believe That Dog Mania has the nature of his probable contributions down; I think that averaging double digit boards is quite optimistic.

My speculation is that Oriaki will likely defend 4 and play 5 offensively. Drummond should be able to get more offensive putbacks from the 4. I think the 5 defensively is a position where he will be less likely to pick up cheap fouls.

It is beyond hard to assess Drummonds contributions to the team before we even have a look at him in practices much less games. Still
Still The way this year's UConn team plays the game at both ends will probably differ substantially from last year's club. Over the years, UConn has become less and less of an up tempo team; my sense of the ab ilities on this roster make that trend likely to continue. Even last season particularly in the last 11 games; UConn tried to go inside first on offense. The loss of Kemba made it likely that this would continue; the addition of Drummond makes it more likely to be a profitable tactic.

Doubters of this season's squad point to the loss of Kemba creating extreme difficulty in scoring. If you remember the end of the season;
Kemba dominated the Big East tournament; he was much less dominant in the NCAA tournament. Still there is no one on the roster who has Kemba's breakdown ability. When the offense went South, or a clutch shot was needed; Kemba was there. Of course he didn't succeed every time, but his big play ability was astounding.

Will UConn have the type of success fans are expecting/yearning for? Certainly I wasn't a believer heading into last season's Big Est tournament. Can/will UConn win the close games? The defense will probably put them in position to be close in almost all games.
This should be a very good/excellent free throw shooting team. UConn lost quite a few close games in the last 2/3 of the Big East regular season play.

Getting a lot of easy baskets is the key to avoiding close games;offensive rebounds, fast breaks, and steals. I don't believe they will be able to create enough easy opportunities to avoid a lot of close games in the Big East.

aka zymurg

Noooooo! Zy how could you change your name. You are my idol when it comes to the long post. Good to see you chiming in, budy!

The number of rebounds AD will average will be tied closely to the number of minutes he is able to stay on the floor. Many will be shocked at how big, long and athletic this kid is. If is able to average 25 minutes or more, he's going to around or above that double digit rebounding numbers especially if he and Oriakhi are on the floor together and are boxing out as a unit. Rebound numbers can be deceptive. Often a player gets the rebound as a result of he and his teammates boxing out whoever is in their zone and creating a pocket for the nearest defender to grab the rebound. In any given game we'll likely see Alex or Andre pulling down monster rebounds while the other has moderate numbers. But once AD learns to stay out of foul trouble and play hard, he's going to log big time minutes. It's hard to imagine someone who takes up as much space as he does and is as athletic would not pick up double digit rebounds most of the time.

With that said, I did not like his effort in the Adidas game. There were a few times where the ball was coming off the rim and he just stood there and got beat to the ball. JC simply won't tolerate that type of effort and along with AD's teammates are sure to hammer home the type of work ethic that is expected at UConn. Outworking and out-willing the opponent is part of the Husky DNA. The result of not doing so will be a DNP.

I also think this team will run a little more than last year, but still keep to the more balanced attack that we've seen since the 99 NC. There have been some teams such as the Hasheem team that preferred the half-court slug fest over the wide open transition game. I think this team will be more like the 99 team that showed good balance between executing the half-court offense and running when the situation dictates such. One thing that JC has always done is to get his team in the best condition possible and wear teams out by using a combination of transition, motion half-court, some full court harassing pressure and lock down half-court defense. This team might be the best ever built for such. There's enough depth and skill to do all of the above. We're a tad thin at the 1 & 2. But if this trio knows how to stay out of foul trouble, JC will be throwing all sorts of pressure at the opponent. Teams are going to spent by the half-way point of the 2nd half. Seeing UConn run away from teams at the end of games is likely going to be a pattern we'll be seeing this year.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I always enjoy reading DM's write-ups, but the problem with this type of position-by-position analyses is that it doesn't speak to the single biggest factor which won us our 3rd national championship - team chemistry. From my perspective, we clearly have the talent on the court to be a Final 4 contender, and possible repeat champion. The key questions this year are whether the sophomores have become jaded or complacent, or simply less anxious to please or prove themselves, and what the departure of Kemba and the addition of RB, DD, and AD does to team dynamics and chemistry. Perhaps DogMania has some insights or speculation?

Last year I thought you had an incredible clutch player, who willed his team to victory. Chemistry is harder to define. Certainly winning cements team relationships and losing tend to help teams drift apart. During the slide at the end of the regular season, the players body language looked nothing like it did during the Maui tournament. But I have to give credit to Kemba and Donnell for limiting the negativity on the team. I would say that when last years team played it's best, it was the result of team defense. They rarely looked great, from a team standpoint, on offense. Most of the scoring was unassisted. I think this years team has the potential to have a better flow on offense.

I believe that Shabazz, and to a lesser extent AO have to do the best they can to replace Kemba's on court encouragement. That won't be easy. They have different personalities. Furthermore Kemba earned the teams respect with early season phenomenal performances.

I would say this team goes as far as Shabazz. If he plays like Kemba did Kemba's sophomore year, the team will struggle more than people believe. If he plays better than Kemba played sophomore year, this team will do very well. Personally I believe Shabazz is a better assist guard than Kemba. What Shabazz has to eliminate is some of his showboat plays on offense.

One additional thing. Will Ryan Boatright develop the same relationship with Shabazz that Shabazz had with Kemba? That will be important. If these two players struggle with one another there can be a problem.

Reaction Score

Team chemistry is something you won't know until they begin playing together. We have heard that the returning players have gotten along very well and enjoy not only playing together but hanging out as well. That's a good sign. Now we just have to hope that the 3 freshman and the 2 bigs who to all practical purposes sat out last season will blend right in with the others. It's been posted that Alex and AD get along well and have become good friends. One thing about AD is he's not an ego kid. If anything he tends to lack the killer nature you want in your bigs. I don't see him being a player who is going to up-end the apple cart and be a selfish player. He's going to be fine.

I don't know much about Daniels. He's been at IMG (I think I got that right...it's some Nike sponsored place that I've never quite understood) over the past year. He's a highly skilled player. Just not sure how that will translate within the structure that JC creates at UConn.

Boatright, as much of a prolific scorer he was in HS, he seems like an unselfish player. In the couple games I've watched on TV, he tried to get his teammates involved, but then would take over to ensure the W. He did not have a lot of talent around him, so many think he's a more shoot first PG, where I think he's going to be a well balanced PG who will do a nice job of running the team and finding open teammates but also turn on the scoring when needed.

I think team chemistry will be fine if not exceptional, but we won't know till they formally begin practicing and playing games. For those who plan on frequenting the informal pick-up games at Gampel, please chime after catching some action and let us know what you observe. You can get somewhat of an idea as to how well they get along, but things are very different between the free flowing pick-up games and the formal practices where they are competing against each other for PT and actual games where mistakes and not making plays can cost you game.

Reaction Score
These are great questions which I'm sure the charismatic "dogman" can answer with swiftness and fluidity! :) As a side note my old college roommate lives in Bloomington Illinois. We took a trip to watch Ryan Boatright play last February against a team otherwise know as Batavia. The 1 hr and a half ride was worth it! RB lit it up netting over 30 pts and "balling" like the top incoming point in America. RB should have made the McDonald's game. Politics kept him off the team JMHO. At the risk of sounding like a mega UCONN pumper on this post it is my sincere belief his game is more advanced then Kemba's at this stage. He has a great stroke and is a consistent threat from 3 immediately. He is a tough kid with moxy that is similar to any NYC point guard. Most national media leave RB under the radar. That will prove to be a big mistake. I am more excited about the addition of RB then any incoming player including AD. Championships on the college level are won in the back court and I love RB. He is the REAL deal...

ctchamps

Reaction Score
These are great questions which I'm sure the charismatic "dogman" can answer with swiftness and fluidity! :) As a side note my old college roommate lives in Bloomington Illinois. We took a trip to watch Ryan Boatright play last February against a team otherwise know as Batavia. The 1 hr and a half ride was worth it! RB lit it up netting over 30 pts and "balling" like the top incoming point in America. RB should have made the McDonald's game. Politics kept him off the team JMHO. At the risk of sounding like a mega UCONN pumper on this post it is my sincere belief his game is more advanced then Kemba's at this stage. He has a great stroke and is a consistent threat from 3 immediately. He is a tough kid with moxy that is similar to any NYC point guard. Most national media leave RB under the radar. That will prove to be a big mistake. I am more excited about the addition of RB then any incoming player including AD. Championships on the college level are won in the back court and I love RB. He is the REAL deal...
Good info. It's nice to know he can score. How is he at distributing the ball?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Thanks iam & drewdog. Since more often I get the jokes and sometimes not so joking comments about my posts being ridiculously long, I usually assume most don't like it.

Incorrect assumption. Teasing isn't always ridicule. Sometimes it is a form of endearment.

Certain posters get associated with certain things. Scot-e will always be credited with DOOOOMMMED!!!
When people repeat that phrase in that manner the mockery is intended as flattery.

You get the same consideration when people tease you about the length of your posts.

Reaction Score
DM There is no way UConn runs like it is '99. Calhoun has adjusted since then. UConn's ppg has fallen pretty consistently since '99. Actually the press was used mainly to force the other team to use up the shot clock. There were a few memorable times when the Huskies pressed hard for 10 minutes or so: Stanford, SJU in the Big East Championship (just before and just after half time) and New Mexico in the NCAAs.

I can see more opportunity breaks if we control the defensive boards and get more steals. Many fans believe that blocks don't generally start breaks. I concur;however, I don't go as far as many who consistently complained that defense suffered for years because of excessive shot blocking.

More to say, but out of time.

aka zymurg

Reaction Score
Good info. It's nice to know he can score. How is he at distributing the ball?
Ryan can Ball4Real...Boatright can drop a dime on you so fast Magic Johnson would be asking for his autograph. I will not go so far to say the Boatshow is going to put up any double nickels this year but I believe he has a shot for 1 in his career at UConn. :D

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Ryan can Ball4Real...Boatright can drop a dime on you so fast Magic Johnson would be asking for his autograph. I will not go so far to say the Boatshow is going to put up any double nickels this year but I believe he has a shot for 1 in his career at UConn. :D
Double nickles = a double double in scoring and assists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom