Women's World Cup | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Women's World Cup

Reaction Score
Who’s not featuring for Mexico? Genuine question, i haven’t paid much attention to them this tournament.

Vela, The little Pea, bunch of others I think. They are missing 6 key players. Vela wasn’t interested in the Gold Cup.

Reaction Score
Did make it home in time from baseball practice to catch the match. I had not see the Dutch side before and their defense was very well structure and frustrated the heck out of the USWNT and their keeper was fantastic (glad it did not go to PK's). Props to the ladies in Orange. I think the key fact point I heard from the Fox announcers is that the Dutch only used 16 players on the roster in the Cup. They were gassed before the match even started as seen by the lack of quality on-goal chances they had, which allowed the US to use its depth and overall athleticism to wear them down. The US did not bring their A game; but, it was enough. No argument with the PK as defenders are trained from a young age no to stick-out their leg that high. Rapione, who had a so-so game, was a cool cucumber from the spot and faked the Dutch keeper by shifting her wight to her left hip before shooting right. Morgan was also OK while Lavelle was a terrorist all game while Ertz, Sauerbrunn (who will now have a scar to proudly show her grand kids), and Dunn were all solid.

I wonder how this team will look in the Olympics in 2020 and the next Cup in 2023 (location TBD; but, Australia is rumored to be in the lead) as I expect some of this year's teams will not be back in 4 years.

PS - The USWNT (guess they need to redesign their kits now to show 4 stars) are getting a ticker-tape parade trhough the Canyon of Heroes in NYC Wednesday morning at 9:30. I went to the one in 2015, it was a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul
Top Bottom