Women's World Cup | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Women's World Cup

Reaction Score
Seems VAR almost always gives the penalty. It’s getting ridiculous. I’m also not a fan of the offside decision. It’s disecting the exact blade of grass.

Reaction Score
Just caught the entire match before I had to leave for more baseball. Overall, it was a tense match, though England got a bit chippy the end. The US used their air superiority to great effect while Englad was deadly with the connection through the center of the field. The US did deserve the win. I thought that the second England goal should have counted as the player was off-sides by maybe a big toe, which is what VAR should not be used for (instead, the 2010 WC Argentine goal v Mexico was a blatant error and that is an example of where should be used). That was countered by a very weak PK given to England after a VAR review that was more of a dive than a foul; but, the Naeher stuffed the attempt. Overall, an exciting match.

PS - Any chance the USWNT could provide a clinic to the USMNT on how to play soccer?

Reaction Score
You are either offsides or not...can't start defining by "how much"...a slippery slope.

Offside by 6 inches is offsides...sure it is close...but still offside.

Reaction Score
If 6 inches clearly offside is overlooked...than what about 9 inches, a foot, a foot and a half?

Offside is offside.

Reaction Score
a molecule
what about 2 inches??

for offside...do you stop at 2...what about 3? or 4 or 6...?

Like a WR that comes down with the ball but only his toes are on the white out of bounds stripe...sorry, but not a catch.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Seems VAR almost always gives the penalty. It’s getting ridiculous. I’m also not a fan of the offside decision. It’s disecting the exact blade of grass.
Well that was a penalty. But I agree, the offside decisions are getting ridiculous. If it's so close you need stop action frame by frame dissection....let it go. There'll be more scoring, which is a good thing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That was countered by a very weak PK given to England after a VAR review that was more of a dive than a foul; but, the Naeher stuffed the attempt. Overall, an exciting match.
That was definitely a foul for the PK. Not a flop at all. Glad Naeher came up big though. (granted it wasn't a well taken PK......and why the hell didn't White take it???? - nice call Phil)

PS - Any chance the USWNT could provide a clinic to the USMNT on how to play soccer?
Totally different game. However, maybe show them some grit and determination.

Reaction Score
I agreed with both VAR calls.

Glad that the USA has some depth.

When Tobin Heath went out, the USA was missing 2 key players, and yet you can bring in Mewis/Horan, Press and still be highly effective.

I am a bit worried by Dahlkemper's play. She was very shaky.

Although scoring goals is beyond a doubt the most important part of soccer, very little has been said about the weak play otherwise from the LW position, and I'm talking about both Rapinoe and Press. Amazes me that they are often at the right place at the right time, which is the sign of being an excellent player, but when they are on the ball, they have been turnover machines.

Horan and Lavelle have been the stars for me so far.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agreed with both VAR calls.

Glad that the USA has some depth.

When Tobin Heath went out, the USA was missing 2 key players, and yet you can bring in Mewis/Horan, Press and still be highly effective.

I am a bit worried by Dahlkemper's play. She was very shaky.

Although scoring goals is beyond a doubt the most important part of soccer, very little has been said about the weak play otherwise from the LW position, and I'm talking about both Rapinoe and Press. Amazes me that they are often at the right place at the right time, which is the sign of being an excellent player, but when they are on the ball, they have been turnover machines.

Horan and Lavelle have been the stars for me so far.
I think Horan and Lavelle (along with Heath) are the best technical/tactical players on the team. Also, I think Heath (and Morgan too) may have been the focus of most teams defense. Heath seems to draw a lot of double teams. And Morgan got the crap beat out of her by Spain. And they've have some problems getting Heath the ball 1v1. Which I think leaves the LW (Rapinoe or Press) to get more opportunities (i.e. unmarked on the backside).

Reaction Score
The internationals are catching up to the U.S.A. Even if we win this, and we probably will, they are getting closer.
Absolutely true. But USA haven’t always dominated. Didn’t win a WC post-99 until 2015. The difference is there are 4-5 teams with a shot at winning it all where it used to be 2-3 max.

Reaction Score
The internationals are catching up to the U.S.A. Even if we win this, and we probably will, they are getting closer.
Oh, playing ability? Appeared our Yanks and the Limeys were better skilled and better teams, but no doubt the Swedes can beat the Limeys and the Oranje our Yanks.

Reaction Score
Oh, playing ability? Appeared our Yanks and the Limeys were better skilled and better teams, but no doubt the Swedes can beat the Limeys and the Oranje our Yanks.

It’s really about style of play.

The women’s side will regress while the men’s side will improve.

Unfortunately, the women’s side does not have a uniform training/style of play method like the men’s side does, so we are all over the place. Soccer countries that implement their men’s regimen on the women’s side will eventually overtake us.

I think the women’s DA has been a colossal failure so far, and it will hurt us down the road.

Reaction Score
Strike 2, still not the general appearance of quality observed on the Oranje and Swede rosters

OK, since that's what you care about, I suggest you get some glasses:

Alex-Morgan:-SI-Sports-Illustrated-Swimsuit-2019-06-620x930.jpg

r95118_864x1296_2-3.jpg

Reaction Score
Oh, my interests are clearly much broader. However, advantage absolutely easily remains with the Swedes and Oranje over the air brushed SI pictures.

Reaction Score
Soccer related, women’s professional leagues are cropping up across Europe and part of the EPL, LaLiga, etc... so they are putting physical and financial resources behind the women’s programs there. Europe is close to running things. They are already dominant other than the US. In the quarters it was 7 European teams (and US).

Reaction Score

Which is driven by some really good women's leagues now in place in Europe, especially in England and France.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE}Totally different game. However, maybe show them some grit and determination.
[/QUOTE]

I agree. For better or worse, an in-shape, professional A level men's soccer player will almost always be taller, stronger, and faster than the same level of a women's soccer player. Just a couple million years of evolution behind such. That said, the USWNT has been showing exactly that - grit and a strategy that the team is committed to. It would be great to see the USMNT share some of those traits.

Reaction Score
Well that was a penalty. But I agree, the offside decisions are getting ridiculous. If it's so close you need stop action frame by frame dissection....let it go. There'll be more scoring, which is a good thing.

I agree there, too, on VAR and close offside calls. After all, soccer's rules do include the concept of a player's 'intent.' A player is not intending, i.e. trying to cheat (look up 'Hand of God' on intent to cheat) to be offside when his/her stride takes him/her off sides by a half-a-shoe length while running at a full sprint to beat a opposing player to the ball. If the linesman ruled the player on-sides and the offside violation can only be seen by a VAR frame-by-frame VAR review that the average human eye can't ascertain at normal speed, let them play. Otherwise, may as well bench Messi & co. with a bunch of robots.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom