WNBA thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Mabrey with 21 pts, 7 reb, 5 ast, 2 stl. She was being talked about as a potential training-camp cut!

Arike is 4-17. Hard to win games that way. She still has that aspect to her game that when she is off, she is OFF.

I questioned the Laney signing because they gave max money to a player who had a career year in the wubble after having never been nearly as good as that before. Somehow, she is even better so far this year. It's just nuts what she's doing.

Laney, in my viewing opinion, was the ultimate deciding factor in that contest last night...she is playing with a ferocity and poise that is an effective combination. Thornton is not a rollover underneath, either. And Ionescu did heat up, while Whitcomb started doing Sami things.

Is MoJeff injured? Or did Wings decide to rest her after the Saturday game as a precaution?
Lots of turnovers for the Wings, whch doesn't help win ballgames, either. And Arike's high volume, low-pct. didnt help either. Mabrey's gotta hope her former roomie ups that pct....

Reaction Score
I doubt anyone on this board thought Mabrey would see the floor in the WNBA, let alone have quality games from time to time. Yes it's the Wings but she has more than earned her spot in their rotation.

Honestly Cambage is over the top with her social media call outs. I get it's a younger generation but it gets old seeing dirty laundry aired out on social platform for the world to witness. I am confident what Miller said is not the worst thing a head coach has said about an opposing player in the heat of a game before.

Reaction Score
I doubt anyone on this board thought Mabrey would see the floor in the WNBA, let alone have quality games from time to time. Yes it's the Wings but she has more than earned her spot in their rotation.

Honestly Cambage is over the top with her social media call outs. I get it's a younger generation but it gets old seeing dirty laundry aired out on social platform for the world to witness. I am confident what Miller said is not the worst thing a head coach has said about an opposing player in the heat of a game before.
Yeah, I believe Mabrey was drafted 20th in a relatively stacked draft class, but she’s arguably been more productive (albeit in playing many fewer games) than former teammate Young, an overall #1 pick. The stats may not fully substantiate that, so I could be wrong, but Mabrey has always been a player willing to fill the role needed — she arrived to ND as a SG and exited as a PG, and it worked pretty well to the tune of one national title, and nearly two.

Reaction Score
Cambage’s response was racist and sexist.

It was far far far worse than millers.

This is a laughably bad job by the WNBA.
At first there is no race involved. Cambage bought the race in and she used it . WNBA has done very bad job.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

C'mon SportsGuy, you've been around long enough on the Boneyard to know there were a few of us who thought Marina would stick in the WNBA....;).

The 2021 season is, of course, just off to a start, but Marina has one good game off the bench and two as a starter. Yes, three-point shooting is her forte (13-27 on the season), but she's over 50% shooting overall and is driving to the hoop more forcefully and effectively as she gets older. Mabrey is 5'11" and solidly built, so she handle the drives and rebounding. Did I expect this good a start? Nah. But it's a pleasant development for a fan who's watched her since high school.

BTW, once the Wings get Grey and Sabally back into the rotation, I think they'll be able finish some games.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yeah, I believe Mabrey was drafted 20th in a relatively stacked draft class, but she’s arguably been more productive (albeit in playing many fewer games) than former teammate Young, an overall #1 pick. The stats may not fully substantiate that, so I could be wrong, but Mabrey has always been a player willing to fill the role needed — she arrived to ND as a SG and exited as a PG, and it worked pretty well to the tune of one national title, and nearly two.
The big complaints on the BY about Mabrey were that she was hard-nosed and not in great in great condition. The former is an asset in the W, and the latter was certainly off-base given that ND won a championship with 6 healthy players, meaning she played a lot of productive minutes.

Mabrey's been about as productive as Young and Ogunbowale. Marina's win shares/40 are about 0.08; Jackie's and Arike's about 0.1. No surprise, Collier leads the class with 0.18. Still SMH about that draft.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

:oops: Clark out for the year and now Howard out for a significant portion of the season. The big free agent signings leaving the Storm are snake bit this year.

Reaction Score
Has this ever happened before - 5 players from one college team playing for the same WNBA team?

1622059240351.jpeg

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I didn't get a chance to watch. No comments on Storm over Sun in OT? Seattle is having to work for it just about every game, but they keep winning. Haven't seen them blowing opponents out like they did much of last season.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I didn't get a chance to watch. No comments on Storm over Sun in OT? Seattle is having to work for it just about every game, but they keep winning. Haven't seen them blowing opponents out like they did much of last season.

It was a GREAT game. IMO last season was an outlier because of the circumstances. Also Howard and Clark were a big part of that Seattle team and they are gone. Many of the other squads are improved because they have players who didn't play last year (Or they just added good players).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Damn, I'm pretty shocked she hasn't been able to find footing in the league. She's a big body with great hands and was excellent in college.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Jackie Young carrying the Aces. Love to see it.

Good to get her away from lead guard duties. Not that she couldn't/can't do it, but her strengths seem geared to finding seams in a defense and scoring. Glad to see she's got her touch back on those drives/pull-ups to and around the hoop.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Yeah, McCowan for her career thus far is averaging 10.4ppg and 8.4rpg while only averaging 22mpg. She needs to be playing more, imo.

Jackie Young has gotten better every year she's been in the league; she may not end up #1 draft pick up worthy, but I wouldn't be surprised if she makes an All Star team in the next two years.

It was a very interesting draft and doing a "redraft" would be fascinating; Durr had a really good rookie year and has alas been unable to play the last two seasons, so hard to grade that pick. But I think almost everyone would now pick Collier #1.

1. Jackie Young, Vegas
2. Asia Durr, NY
3. T. McCowan, Indiana
4. KLS, Chicago
5. Arike, Dallas
6. Collier, Minnesota
7. Kalani Brown, LA
8. Alanna Smith, Phx
9. K. Anigwe, CT
10. Kiara Leslie, DC
11. B. Turner, Atlanta
12. E. Magbegor, Seattle
16. J. Shepard, Minnesota
18. N. Hiedeman, Minnesota
19. Mabrey, LA
21. B. Carleton, CT
22. K. Burke, Indiana

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, McCowan for her career thus far is averaging 10.4ppg and 8.4rpg while only averaging 22mpg. She needs to be playing more, imo.

Jackie Young has gotten better every year she's been in the league; she may not end up #1 draft pick up worthy, but I wouldn't be surprised if she makes an All Star team in the next two years.

It was a very interesting draft and doing a "redraft" would be fascinating; Durr had a really good rookie year and has alas been unable to play the last two seasons, so hard to grade that pick. But I think almost everyone would now pick Collier #1.

1. Jackie Young, Vegas
2. Asia Durr, NY
3. T. McCowan, Indiana
4. KLS, Chicago
5. Arike, Dallas
6. Collier, Minnesota
7. Kalani Brown, LA
8. Alanna Smith, Phx
9. K. Anigwe, CT
10. Kiara Leslie, DC
11. B. Turner, Atlanta
12. E. Magbegor, Seattle
16. J. Shepard, Minnesota
18. N. Hiedeman, Minnesota
19. Mabrey, LA
21. B. Carleton, CT
22. K. Burke, Indiana
Heideman and Mabrey both playing a lot better than most of the players drafted ahead of them.

Several busts it looks like. Is K. Brown the first to wash out of the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom