WNBA Awards if season ended today | The Boneyard

WNBA Awards if season ended today

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
With a little less than a month before playoffs, here's how I would choose teams/awards at this point:

MVP: Breanna Stewart, Seattle
ROY: Rhyne Howard, Atlanta
COY: James Wade, Chicago
DPOY: Ezi Magbegor, Seattle
Most Improved: Kelsey Plum, Las Vegas
6th player: Brionna Jones, Connecticut

All-WNBA First Team:
F: Breanna Stewart, Seattle
F: Alyssa Thomas, Connecticut
C: A'ja Wilson, Las Vegas
G: Kelsey Plum, Las Vegas
G: Courtney Vandersloot, Chicago

All-WNBA Second Team:
F: Candace Parker, Chicago
F: Nneka Ogwumike, LA
C: Jonquel Jones, Connecticut
G: Arike Ogunbowale, Dallas
G: Skylar Diggins, Phoenix

On the cusp:
Sabrina Ionescu, New York
Sylvia Fowles, Minnesota (I hope she has a change of heart and plays again next year...she's still an elite center)
Jackie Young, Las Vegas

Worth noting: Elena Delle-Donne I don't believe will be eligible due to too many games missed. I think players on 1st team and Nneka/Parker are locks for either first or 2nd team as of now, but the last 3 spots are pretty wide open depending on how teams finish the rest of the year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
With a little less than a month before playoffs, here's how I would choose teams/awards at this point:

All-WNBA First Team:

All-WNBA Second Team:

On the cusp:
Sabrina Ionescu, New York
Sylvia Fowles, Minnesota (I hope she has a change of heart and plays again next year...she's still an elite center)
Jackie Young, Las Vegas

Worth noting: Elena Delle-Donne I don't believe will be eligible due to too many games missed. I think players on 1st team and Nneka/Parker are locks for either first or 2nd team as of now, but the last 3 spots are pretty wide open depending on how teams finish the rest of the year.
Jackie Young >> Arike. Every stat except volume shooting.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Jackie Young >> Arike. Every stat except volume shooting.
I'd put Ionescu ahead of Young. Jackie Young is having a great year but Vegas doesn't deserve 3 players on the top 2 teams. Young is more efficient than Arike (though Arike averages 3 more ppg), but the rest of their numbers are very similar across the board. Not a lot of differentiation between the two of them, but Arike shoulders a bigger load being the primary option in Dallas so I think she gets the nod right now.

Reaction Score
Great thoughts bballnut90. I would flip Nneka & Alyssa (even after her 1st triple double) because of Ogwumike's leadership & necessity to her team along with consistent, stellar stats.

I also think that although Wade is a perfect fit for the Sky's veteran team, the talent on that team precludes him unless they would have lost 5 games or fewer for the entire season. I think Hammon is the best coach, but they have a plethora of all-stars relative to their solid, but not spectacular results. What about Wright, whose team has averaged fewer than 8 wins over the past 3 seasons, has not had her best player available for most of the year, and done a tremendous job developing players such as Aari (who might be a distant 2nd to both Plum and B Jones for each of their awards), Naz (who is progressing into an occasional starter/productive role player after many said her game would not translate to the W), etc.? I would only vote for her if she made the playoffs (where they'd be if the season ended today).

Reaction Score
Worth noting: Elena Delle-Donne I don't believe will be eligible due to too many games missed.
In 2015 Candace Parker only played 41% of the team's total minutes (551 of 1360) playing in 16 of 34 games. Their record was 11-5 with her and 3-15 without her. She was selected 2nd Team that year.

In 2022 Delle Donne has played 47% of the team's total minutes (522 of 1120) playing in 19 of 28 games. Their record is 14-5 with her and 3-6 without her.

So Elena has only played 29 fewer minutes with almost a quarter of the season to go.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
In 2015 Candace Parker only played 41% of the team's total minutes (551 of 1360) playing in 16 of 34 games. Their record was 11-5 with her and 3-15 without her. She was selected 2nd Team that year.

In 2022 Delle Donne has played 47% of the team's total minutes (522 of 1120) playing in 19 of 28 games. Their record is 14-5 with her and 3-6 without her.

So Elena has only played 29 fewer minutes with almost a quarter of the season to go.
Good info. I wonder if there are any minimum # of games required to be eligible. At any rate, EDD should be safely on at least 2nd team then which pushes Jones likely off a team.

UHF

Reaction Score
I'd put Ionescu ahead of Young. Jackie Young is having a great year but Vegas doesn't deserve 3 players on the top 2 teams. Young is more efficient than Arike (though Arike averages 3 more ppg), but the rest of their numbers are very similar across the board. Not a lot of differentiation between the two of them, but Arike shoulders a bigger load being the primary option in Dallas so I think she gets the nod right now.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I agree. :D

Just happy the WBCA and USBWA did not think that way in 2017 - when Gabby, Collier, and KLS earned All American honors.

UHF

Reaction Score

All-WNBA First Team:

. . . . .

I would love for GOAT Stewie to be named WNBA regular season MVP. She at least deserves All WNBA First Team.

What are the chances a player on the 4th place team - one half game out of 5th place - would be named MVP? Your thoughts? Thanks.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I can neither confirm nor deny that I agree. :D

Just happy the WBCA and USBWA did not think that way in 2017 - when Gabby, Collier, and KLS earned All American honors.
UCONN was undefeated and #1 overall in women's college basketball, it appeared they were head and shoulders ahead of the pack. Vegas is currently in 2nd in the league in a tight 4 team race for 1st. If they finish first I think there is a stronger argument to be made.

Reactions: UHF

UHF

Reaction Score
UCONN was undefeated and #1 overall in women's college basketball, it appeared they were head and shoulders ahead of the pack. Vegas is currently in 2nd in the league in a tight 4 team race for 1st. If they finish first I think there is a stronger argument to be made.

Appearances can be deceiving - unfortunately. :(

Thankfully, enough voters actually watched Gabby Williams play during nationally televised games at UConn. Too often it seems like some unknown percentage of voters just looked at PPG.

Reaction Score
What is the case for Stewart over Wilson as MVP? I’m curious to hear others’ thoughts. Both have had fantastic seasons (as is per usual with these two) but Wilson’s shooting and rebounding numbers are better.

I’ve heard the case made that Wilson has more help from her other starters but I’m not really buying that given the Storm start Lloyd, Bird, and Ezi.

Reaction Score
Great thoughts bballnut90. I would flip Nneka & Alyssa (even after her 1st triple double) because of Ogwumike's leadership & necessity to her team along with consistent, stellar stats.

I also think that although Wade is a perfect fit for the Sky's veteran team, the talent on that team precludes him unless they would have lost 5 games or fewer for the entire season. I think Hammon is the best coach, but they have a plethora of all-stars relative to their solid, but not spectacular results. What about Wright, whose team has averaged fewer than 8 wins over the past 3 seasons, has not had her best player available for most of the year, and done a tremendous job developing players such as Aari (who might be a distant 2nd to both Plum and B Jones for each of their awards), Naz (who is progressing into an occasional starter/productive role player after many said her game would not translate to the W), etc.? I would only vote for her if she made the playoffs (where they'd be if the season ended today).
I had similar thoughts on Coach of the year.
1. If Vegas remains in the top 2, it's Hammon's to lose.
2. If Vegas drops and Atlanta finds itself in the playoffs after all the drama of last year then Wright deserves it.
3. If Vegas drops and Atlanta doesn't make the playoffs, I think it would go to Wade

The one discrepancy I would make is that Vegas was already a team full of All-stars. Heading into the season I would argue that only Wilson and Gray were all stars with Hamby being in the mix. Becky came in and completely revamped the team play style and now both Young and Plum are playing their best seasons. Then you add to that their perennial MVP candidate in Wilson is encouraged to shoot from range and is now an even bigger threat on the offensive end now. What Becky has done with this team in such a short period of time is simply amazing. Now if only the GM could get a bench then they would be a really tough team.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
What is the case for Stewart over Wilson as MVP? I’m curious to hear others’ thoughts. Both have had fantastic seasons (as is per usual with these two) but Wilson’s shooting and rebounding numbers are better.

I’ve heard the case made that Wilson has more help from her other starters but I’m not really buying that given the Storm start Lloyd, Bird, and Ezi.
Eye test is a big part of it--Stewart's just a more versatile and well rounded player IMO. Rebounds/FG% will naturally be higher considering A'ja is primarily in the post where Stewart plays all over. Statistics overall are pretty equivalent, with each player have a slight lead in different areas. Both are cream of the crop.

And Vegas has a much more balanced complete offense than Seattle does. They have 5 double digit scorers and all are shooting well from the floor (45% and up). Plum is a legitimate MVP candidate, and Jackie Young/Chelsea Gray are also All-WNBA candidates. Plus Hamby is solid in her role.

For Seattle, Bird is a legend but isn't nearly the offensive threat she was earlier in her career--she's much more reluctant to shoot or create. Chelsea Gray is far and away a better player than Bird at this point in time. Loyd is also not having a good season (38% FG), and Magbegor's production is significantly down since Charles has arrived. Seattle has essentially become a 3 person team offensively (Stewart/Loyd/Charles).

Reaction Score
Eye test is a big part of it--Stewart's just a more versatile and well rounded player IMO. Rebounds/FG% will naturally be higher considering A'ja is primarily in the post where Stewart plays all over. Statistics overall are pretty equivalent, with each player have a slight lead in different areas. Both are cream of the crop.

And Vegas has a much more balanced complete offense than Seattle does. They have 5 double digit scorers and all are shooting well from the floor (45% and up). Plum is a legitimate MVP candidate, and Jackie Young/Chelsea Gray are also All-WNBA candidates. Plus Hamby is solid in her role.

For Seattle, Bird is a legend but isn't nearly the offensive threat she was earlier in her career--she's much more reluctant to shoot or create. Chelsea Gray is far and away a better player than Bird at this point in time. Loyd is also not having a good season (38% FG), and Magbegor's production is significantly down since Charles has arrived. Seattle has essentially become a 3 person team offensively (Stewart/Loyd/Charles).
Thanks for your response! I totally understand that case. They’re both at the top of the league and will be for years to come.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I had similar thoughts on Coach of the year.
1. If Vegas remains in the top 2, it's Hammon's to lose.
2. If Vegas drops and Atlanta finds itself in the playoffs after all the drama of last year then Wright deserves it.
3. If Vegas drops and Atlanta doesn't make the playoffs, I think it would go to Wade

The one discrepancy I would make is that Vegas was already a team full of All-stars. Heading into the season I would argue that only Wilson and Gray were all stars with Hamby being in the mix. Becky came in and completely revamped the team play style and now both Young and Plum are playing their best seasons. Then you add to that their perennial MVP candidate in Wilson is encouraged to shoot from range and is now an even bigger threat on the offensive end now. What Becky has done with this team in such a short period of time is simply amazing. Now if only the GM could get a bench then they would be a really tough team.

I'd have Wade over Hammon to be honest. Vegas will finish with a worse record than a year ago and is not as good defensively despite their offense being more potent from the perimeter and having more variety. Plum and Young are both significantly improved and I think Vegas is better for their greater involvement in the offense. A'ja looks world-class again without Liz in the lineup too and an expanded perimeter game. Looking at stats, Plum's improvement seems to be mostly due to playing time. She played 8 fewer MPG last year and if you averaged last year's stats across her playing time this year (33mpg), she would've averaged 19.2 points and 4.7 assists (compared to 20.1 points and 5.3 assists). When Vegas is on I think they're the best team in the league, but they're also prone to have huge lapses and get blown out by teams they shouldn't. Higher highs and lower lows than most of the top teams.

Chicago won the title but was just 16-16 a year ago. They did get a big upgrade from Dolson/Deshields by bringing in Meesseman but I think Wade has done arguably the best coaching job in the league this year. His squad beats you in so many different ways and going from 16-16 to 21-7 with a similar roster is a huge improvement. They're also far more consistent than Vegas. Of their 7 losses, the margins of loss were by 7, 3, 7, 2, 2, 3 and 3. For comparison, Vegas's 8 losses have come by 13, 7, 9, 1, 10, 31, 9 and 16. Either one (or Wright) would be deserving but I'd lean toward Wade or Wright over Hammon personally at this juncture.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Looking at stats, Plum's improvement seems to be mostly due to playing time. She played 8 fewer MPG last year and if you averaged last year's stats across her playing time this year (33mpg), she would've averaged 19.2 points and 4.7 assists (compared to 20.1 points and 5.3 assists).
Her minutes are starting to come down w/ Williams back in the rotation. The one HUGE difference comparing last year to this year for Plum is shooting 3s. Last year in 26 games she was 44-114. Through 28 games this season she is 88-212. Her previous high in a season was 47. Barring an injury she's easily gonna go over 100 for the season. Under Laimbeer the Aces were always at or near the bottom of the league for 3 pointers attempted. Hammon has given the whole team the green light to bomb away from behind the arc.

Agree with you on Wade over Hammon at this point. After a 13-2 start Vegas has been kinda disappointing ,and the defense has been awful.

For another example of the increase in 3s, look at Young. In her first 3 seasons she was a combined 22-77. This year she is 37-86. It simply wasn't a part of her game before and now it is.

Reaction Score
Some cogent points made. However, Chicago has lost (although close) to the teams with worst 3 records in the league during the last dozen or so games. In addition, their regular season record was impacted by injuries last year. As I said, Wade has a great personality suited for this veteran team and is amenable to Parker's & Vandersloot's input during many huddles.

Although Wright was an assistant at LV last year, she would not have been the best hire for the Aces to replace Laimbeer. They benefit from Hammon's analytics (Pops influence), upbeat offense, etc. In my opinion, she has been a large reason for Plum (partly due to increasing her minutes) and Young's progress. Last year they had the luxury of Hamby & Plum off the bench and this year they had no bench until the last ten games (Williams only). With that being said (I'm entering the transfer portal- jk), their play has been confounding much too often -- blowing huge leads, no defense for long stretches, playing down to the competition, so I completely understand your point.

What I like about Wright is that she will sub out a starter for 45 seconds to a minute to provide instant relevant education and then insert them back into the game. She has changed the culture and has had to deal with a lot less stability than teams such as Dallas & LA. Her players have missed so many more easy shots from her sets and actions than other teams, but are showing improved understanding recently.

Reaction Score
I'd have Wade over Hammon to be honest. Vegas will finish with a worse record than a year ago and is not as good defensively despite their offense being more potent from the perimeter and having more variety. Plum and Young are both significantly improved and I think Vegas is better for their greater involvement in the offense. A'ja looks world-class again without Liz in the lineup too and an expanded perimeter game. Looking at stats, Plum's improvement seems to be mostly due to playing time. She played 8 fewer MPG last year and if you averaged last year's stats across her playing time this year (33mpg), she would've averaged 19.2 points and 4.7 assists (compared to 20.1 points and 5.3 assists). When Vegas is on I think they're the best team in the league, but they're also prone to have huge lapses and get blown out by teams they shouldn't. Higher highs and lower lows than most of the top teams.

Chicago won the title but was just 16-16 a year ago. They did get a big upgrade from Dolson/Deshields by bringing in Meesseman but I think Wade has done arguably the best coaching job in the league this year. His squad beats you in so many different ways and going from 16-16 to 21-7 with a similar roster is a huge improvement. They're also far more consistent than Vegas. Of their 7 losses, the margins of loss were by 7, 3, 7, 2, 2, 3 and 3. For comparison, Vegas's 8 losses have come by 13, 7, 9, 1, 10, 31, 9 and 16. Either one (or Wright) would be deserving but I'd lean toward Wade or Wright over Hammon personally at this juncture.
That's fair and good points, I was leaning more towards this being Hammon's first year, as a huge factor in her being my current frontrunner. That plus the drastic change in the style of play. Whereas Wright seemed to have righted the ship after some big changes in the off-season
The only reason I have Wade third is because the personnel change both on and off the court didn't change that much. Wade is back and the core of the team is back and then adding a Messeman to a championship roster made Chicago success not necessarily a surprise. Their record is definitely improved but they are dealing with a more healthy Candace Parker as well. So while I wouldn't be me mad at any of the 3 winning, I guess my ranking is based on how a squad has exceeded my expectations.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I have a slightly different first/second teams:

All-WNBA First Team:

All-WNBA Second Team:
F: Alyssa Thomas or EDD (if she qualifies)
G: Sabrina Ionescu, NYL

Courtney Vandersloot is still great but is not having her best year statistically (not because she's regressed, simply because Chicago is so deep). I'm not a big Arike fan but the voters of these things seem to love her.

I think Breanna Stewart is the MVP for the same reason others have mentioned: she has less around her than Wilson (you could argue Plum is just as deserving as MVP consideration as Wilson).

Reaction Score
I have a slightly different first/second teams:

All-WNBA First Team:

All-WNBA Second Team:
F: Alyssa Thomas or EDD (if she qualifies)
G: Sabrina Ionescu, NYL

Courtney Vandersloot is still great but is not having her best year statistically (not because she's regressed, simply because Chicago is so deep). I'm not a big Arike fan but the voters of these things seem to love her.

I think Breanna Stewart is the MVP for the same reason others have mentioned: she has less around her than Wilson (you could argue Plum is just as deserving as MVP consideration as Wilson).
Our teams are similar. Also I’d give Stewart the edge over Aja for MVP right now.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't know if there is any correlation w/ Player of the Year, but Wilson is racking up Player of the Week awards (another one announced today). That kinda makes me think she's gonna end up w/ POY.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Becky Hammon had my vote until I read your narrative. You make some very good and compelling points. It's hard to argue with your logic and facts (numbers). Changing my vote to James Wade. :cool:

Why James Wade has already captured the Executive of the Year award.​

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom