WNBA 2024 May 2024 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 May 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
OK, the pre-season WNBA thread was cut off a bit prematurely for getting into topics that wouldn't resolve themselves.

I think of us -- particularly "over here" on the General Thread -- as being a collective of well-meaning basketball enthusiasts.
Can we keep our comment on thread/theme, at least here? (I'm not against social commentary, but in the right place and time.)

That said, I'll drop a few right after this. Enjoy the season, which is on the other side of the weekend.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Recent transactions, via the WNBA Website.

May 7th

Atlanta Dream
- Waived Khaalia Hillsman

Las Vegas Aces
- Waived Angel Jackson

May 8th

Seattle Storm
- Waived Alaina Coates
  • Waived Kaela Davis
  • Waived Quay Miller

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Richard Cohen and his panel of experts continue their "Best in the WNBA" countdown and spend extended thumbnails on the Top 10. In fact, he/they split up these with a 10-6 and 5-1. This post has the former and I'll list them. If you want to go into a detail, click on the link. I'll drop the Top 5 manana.

10) Arike Ogunbowale
9) Jonquel Jones
8) Jackie Young
7) Nneka Ogwumike
6) Napheesa Collier

Reaction Score
Richard Cohen and his panel of experts continue their "Best in the WNBA" countdown and spend extended thumbnails on the Top 10. In fact, he/they split up these with a 10-6 and 5-1. This post has the former and I'll list them. If you want to go into a detail, click on the link. I'll drop the Top 5 manana.

10) Arike Ogunbowale
9) Jonquel Jones
8) Jackie Young
7) Nneka Ogwumike
6) Napheesa Collier

Hmm...who will be in the top 5? A'ja, Stewie, and AT are givens. I haven't seen Boston on the list so I'm almost certain she is one of those five (a symptom that this list was determined by fan vote if that turns out to be true...). I don't believe that Jewell Loyd has been mentioned either.

My guess...
5. Aliyah Boston
4. Jewell Loyd
3. Alyssa Thomas
2. A'ja Wilson
1. Breanna Stewart

Reaction Score
Interesting selections with respect to guards. Would have thought Gray could get consideration
Hmm...who will be in the top 5? A'ja, Stewie, and AT are givens. I haven't seen Boston on the list so I'm almost certain she is one of those five (a symptom that this list was determined by fan vote if that turns out to be true...). I don't believe that Jewell Loyd has been mentioned either.

My guess...
5. Aliyah Boston
4. Jewell Loyd
3. Alyssa Thomas
2. A'ja Wilson
1. Breanna Stewart

What about Chelsea Gray? Or is your list based on those who are healthy to start the season as her status is unknown?

Dillon77

Reaction Score

My guess...
5. Aliyah Boston
4. Jewell Loyd
3. Alyssa Thomas
2. A'ja Wilson
1. Breanna Stewart
;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Interesting selections with respect to guards. Would have thought Gray could get consideration

What about Chelsea Gray? Or is your list based on those who are healthy to start the season as her status is unknown?

She was #12

Reaction Score

She was already listed. It was a fan vote so results will be slightly chaotic.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

10) Arike Ogunbowale
9) Jonquel Jones
8) Jackie Young
7) Nneka Ogwumike
6) Napheesa Collier

Funny, I was just thinking this morning about the 2019 draft close and how Jackie seemed like a questionable #1 pick for a couple years. A year or two ago you would have said that Collier and Ogunbowale are clearly better. Now, I think it's a close debate between Jackie and Phee for best player from that class.

It seems the folks at HHS agree!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
And, here are the Top 5 in HerHoopStats voting of the Top 50 players in the W.
A number of you put your votes in and, yes, you were accurate on who was in that group. Maybe not the order, but the top 5.
Richard Cohen, who heads up the organization, commented on them in the attached.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I think A'ja is the best player in the world but I didn't want smoke from the UConn fans so I guessed that Stewie would be ranked #1 on that list. :oops:
Take a look at the poll.....;) (but I think you already did....)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sounds crazy but I low-key think Phee is the second best player in the world. I wanted to say best but didn't want smoke from SC fans
I think A'ja is the best player in the world but I didn't want smoke from the UConn fans so I guessed that Stewie would be ranked #1 on that list. :oops:

If you scared, say you scared :confused:

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
I've said on here before that I believe A'ja is the best player on the planet and will stick to that. Good to see that she's starting out the season ranked where she belongs. :D

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I hear ya, but I don't think most people (those who don't have UConn or NY Liberty ties) who saw last year's WNBA Finals would've felt comfortable voting for anyone other than A'ja #1 to start out the season. She outplayed Jonquel and Stewie (some would say combined) in that Game 4 and had those Liberty beat writers shook (some of them are still trying to recover).

I'm pleasantly surprised to see Aliyah at #5! :eek:

I may have reversed the order of AT and Stewie, but I also don't think it's that big a deal at this point in the season.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
My guess for top 5 is:

#5 Aliyah Boston
#4 Jewell Loyd
#3 Alyssa Thomas
#2 Breanna Stewart
#1 A'ja Wilson

I like Jewell Loyd's game but think top 5 is a stretch. Same with Boston (at this juncture). I'd replace those two with Collier/Sabally.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
My guess for top 5 is:

#5 Aliyah Boston
#4 Jewell Loyd
#3 Alyssa Thomas
#2 Breanna Stewart
#1 A'ja Wilson

I like Jewell Loyd's game but think top 5 is a stretch. Same with Boston (at this juncture). I'd replace those two with Collier/Sabally.
@Dillon77 already posted the Top 5. AT was 2 and Stewie was 3.

I do agree that Aliyah is too high (too young, not enough accolades). I'd replace her with Phee. I actually like Jewell at 4, and I'm interested in seeing how she looks on her new superteam.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ESPN rankings:

I love Stewie, and I think she is more versatile than A'ja, but I think A'ja out-played her last year.

The ESPN rankings:

1. A'ja
2. Stewie
3. AT
4. Jonquel
5. Phee

I don't think Stewie and Jonquel have adjusted to playing together. I'd put Phee ahead of Jonquel right now.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Did we know Ivana Dojkic is with the Liberty currently? I still can't believe Seattle cut her midseason last year, that was so nonsensical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom