WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 23 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Monumental collapse by NY. Blew a 19 point lead. Chicago destroyed them in the 2nd half. Huge game for Copper, C. Williams was really good too.
As dazzling as some of Sloot's (her overall offensive game and stats were very good) 4th quarter dimes were to Stewie, she is a defensive liability at this point in her career. She is savvy enough to get some steals, but she had difficulty checking Copper and C Williams. Sabrina is very inconsistent and I was surprised that many on ESPN's panel had her as a pre-season 1st team guard. Who knows when JJ's foot will improve?

But the Sky isn't falling yet in NY. Johannès return fortifies the bench in addition to KT & Dolson. They still have Stewie and with some more time together, the offense should be a work of art in a month or 2.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In today's episode of if the WNBA was covered like the NBA on first take:

Stephen A Smith: Long frustrated pause..... I'm just looking at the box score.. and Ms. Sabrina... shot 2 of 9 from the field. 4 POINTS!!!?!!??!? I tuned into the game cuz this was supposed to be a part of ... What you call it "A revenge tour"!?!. The Chicago Sky sent you home last year.. Then you say prior to the game.. u getting revenge and u drop 4 points. I know Sabrinnnna can playyyyy. But this is unacceptable.

Molly: but what about the play of Chicago

Stephen A: Listen listen.. Chicago can play. I don't know why everyone is sleeping on them...Kahleah Cooper.. Copper.. I love watching that sista play.. she is truly special. 10-17 from the floor. Five threes. 27 points in total. She's a problem.

BUT.... New York gotta figure some things out. U can't be blowing leads at home. Who do they think they are, the Knicks...

Jk.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Monumental collapse by NY. Blew a 19 point lead. Chicago destroyed them in the 2nd half. Huge game for Copper, C. Williams was really good too.
Copper did the bulk of the comeback work in the 3rd quarter, where no one could stop her driving to the hoop or the pull-up jumpers.
Williams then took command in the 4th quarter, with well-timed jumpers and some excellent dish passes to Williams and Smith.
And when the Liberty needed to foul, Williams got the ball to Mabrey, who hit free throws to seal the deal. BTW, Robyn Parks hits 3-5 three-pt. attempts.

If memory serves, this might be the first time one of the top four teams have lost to a team outside of the top four. Solid, solid win for Sky.

Regarding Johannes, I think she adds an element that -- somewhat surprisingly -- Ionescu doesn't seem to offer as much anymore: the unexpected. There's a lot of speed, flair and imagination to her game that makes defenses pay attention. Sky played Sabrina tight and she never got flowing. Might just be the last few games, but Ionescu seems like the odd ball-handling guard out in that three-person rotation.
Brondello will need to pick her p's and q's there.

Reaction Score

Stephen A Smith: Long frustrated pause..... I'm just looking at the box score.. and Ms. Sabrina... shot 2 of 9 from the field. 4 POINTS!!!?!!??!? I tuned into the game cuz this was supposed to be a part of ... What you call it "A revenge tour"!?!. The Chicago Sky sent you home last year.. Then you say prior to the game.. u getting revenge and u drop 4 points. I know Sabrinnnna can playyyyy. But this is unacceptable.

Stephen A: Listen listen.. Chicago can play. I don't know why everyone is sleeping on them...Kahleah Cooper.. Copper.. I love watching that sista play.. she is truly special. 10-17 from the floor. Five threes. 27 points in total. She's a problem.

BUT.... New York gotta figure some things out. U can't be blowing leads at home. Who do they think they are, the Knicks...

Jk.

Well done! I could literally hear Stephen A Smith's voice as I read it!!!!

Reaction Score
Copper did the bulk of the comeback work in the 3rd quarter, where no one could stop her driving to the hoop or the pull-up jumpers.
Williams then took command in the 4th quarter, with well-timed jumpers and some excellent dish passes to Williams and Smith.
And when the Liberty needed to foul, Williams got the ball to Mabrey, who hit free throws to seal the deal. BTW, Robyn Parks hits 3-5 three-pt. attempts.

If memory serves, this might be the first time one of the top four teams have lost to a team outside of the top four.

Regarding Johannes, I think she adds an element that -- somewhat surprisingly -- Ionescu doesn't seem to offer as much anymore: the unexpected. There's a lot of speed, flair and imagination to her game that makes defenses pay attention. Sky played Sabrina tight and she never got flowing. Solid, solid win for Sky.
MN did beat Washington yesterday, but technically that is a true statement as LA currently has the 4th best record and has only lost to LV.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
MN did beat Washington yesterday, but technically that is a true statement as LA currently has the 4th best record and has only lost to LV.
C'mon Tangent, we're all about truth ;)! Actually, you were the one who tipped me off to this a few days ago and I haven't been studying the 4th slot much this week (still living the dream of my ND Men's Lax team winning their first NC!).

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
she is a defensive liability at this point in her career. She is savvy enough to get some steals, but she had difficulty checking Copper and C Williams.
To be fair, Copper is just a terrible match up for her. Too big and strong. Would've been the same at any point in her career. I couldn't believe they kept having Sloot guarding her. When she was red hot, why not try something else, like Laney or Thornton?

Reaction Score
To be fair, Copper is just a terrible match up for her. Too big and strong. Would've been the same at any point in her career. I couldn't believe they kept having Sloot guarding her. When she was red hot, why not try something else, like Laney or Thornton?
Excellent points, but she has to guard someone. They tried her on C Williams in the 4th. Mabrey? Same thing for LV -- who does she check: Plum? Young? Gray?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
C'mon Tangent, we're all about truth ;)! Actually, you were the one who tipped me off to this a few days ago and I haven't been studying the 4th slot much this week (still living the dream of my ND Men's Lax team winning their first NC!).
Sometimes I say: "why let the facts get in the way of a good story."

More importantly, congrats on the Natty -- that's awesome

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Aces stole this one. Fever severely outplayed them most of the game, but couldn't finish it off.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
3 point shooting should've been the difference in the game: Ind. 11-19 LV 4-21. I'm not sure how they overcame that.

Reaction Score
Aces stole this one. Fever severely outplayed them most of the game, but couldn't finish it off.
I am a big fan of Lyss (she plays hard, she works relentlessly to improve her craft, makes good decisions as to when to shoot, pass, or drive, etc.), but she misses too many makeable shots. You're not going to make all of your bunnies and open short jumpers, but her % on those needs to rise.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem the Liberty have right now is their offense. Last year they shot more 3's and less free throws then any team in the league.
This year they still are last in free throws by a lot and second in 3 point attempts.
They need to stop shooting so many three's, and get to the free throw line more.
Stewie and Sloot are the only 2 who will penetrate and take the contact to draw the foul.
Too many of the Liberty players are finesse players.
Loyd would be better on this team then Sabrina.
Maybe MJ will give them some toughness from the guard spot.
JJ when she is healthy, and able to move better will draw fouls.

Reaction Score
A’ja was ready for this game from the tip, think she was up for going against her school’s new darling? :rolleyes:

Tough loss for the Fever, but they look better than last year. Boston is not used to getting all these fouls called against her, she’ll adjust eventually.

What’s up with Plum? Her shot has been off, is she still in the honeymoon phase? :p Fortunately for the Aces, A’ja and Jackie seem more than capable of leading them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The biggest problem the Liberty have right now is their offense. Last year they shot more 3's and less free throws then any team in the league.
This year they still are last in free throws by a lot and second in 3 point attempts.
They need to stop shooting so many three's, and get to the free throw line more.
Stewie and Sloot are the only 2 who will penetrate and take the contact to draw the foul.
Too many of the Liberty players are finesse players.
Loyd would be better on this team then Sabrina.
Maybe MJ will give them some toughness from the guard spot.
JJ when she is healthy, and able to move better will draw fouls.
I wasn't sure what Laney's role was last season. I'm even less sure this season. Maybe just a utility player, but I think Thornton is better at that than Laney is.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What’s up with Plum? Her shot has been off
Last year she hit the second most 3's in a season, this year she can't hit anything behind the arc. The dam has to break eventually.

Reaction Score

Jk.
I love it. Well done.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I am a big fan of Lyss (she plays hard, she works relentlessly to improve her craft, makes good decisions as to when to shoot, pass, or drive, etc.), but she misses too many makeable shots. You're not going to make all of your bunnies and open short jumpers, but her % on those needs to rise.
Yeah, Smith didn’t have a great game today. I thought this was a poorly coached game. It seemed that when a lineup was clicking, the coach pulled key components and put in players who weren’t playing all that well. Berger and Egbo really seemed to have good chemistry today.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Way too early WNBA stats
50-40-90 club (50%fg, 40% 3pt shots, 90% FT)

Chelsea Gray/LVA-- 55%-- 53.8%-- 100%
Dojkic /SEA -- 66.7% --50%--100%
Karlie Samuelson/LAS--55.6%--66.7%--100%
Milic/MIN--50%--50%--100%
Nneka Ogwumike/LAS--61.9%--50%--100%
S.Sabally/DAL--51.2%--41.5%--94%

These stats will flow all season with a string of good games, and one bad game could drop you out very fast. But at the end of the season the ones who make these numbers are vary consistent at what they do.

By the way in the 2022 season there was no player who made this level, that played at least 20 games in the season.
Steph Dolson was the closest at 49.3%fg, 39.4% 3ptfg, and 90.5% FT

I am updating the 50-40-90 stats for games completed thru Sunday 6/4/23
I wont be doing this every week, just to show a week to week comparison,

Ivana Dojkic/SEA-- 66.7%--50%--100%-------note she has not played since game 2.
Lexie Brown/LAS--50.9%--41.9%--100%
Yvonne Turner/SEA--66.7%--50%--100%
Karlie Samuelson/LAS--56%--58.8%--91.7%
Elena Delle Donne/WAS--50%--52.6%--91.3%

Those on the first list, who dropped off, are now at
Chelsea Gray/LVA--48.5%--45%--100%
Milic/MIN--46.7%--50%--100%
Nneka Ogwumike/LAS--56%--25%--93%
S. Sabally/DAL--46.8%--37.1%--91.4%

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am updating the 50-40-90 stats for games completed thru Sunday 6/4/23
I wont be doing this every week, just to show a week to week comparison,

Ivana Dojkic/SEA-- 66.7%--50%--100%-------note she has not played since game 2.
Lexie Brown/LAS--50.9%--41.9%--100%
Yvonne Turner/SEA--66.7%--50%--100%
Karlie Samuelson/LAS--56%--58.8%--91.7%
Elena Delle Donne/WAS--50%--52.6%--91.3%

Those on the first list, who dropped off, are now at
Chelsea Gray/LVA--48.5%--45%--100%
Milic/MIN--46.7%--50%--100%
Nneka Ogwumike/LAS--56%--25%--93%
S. Sabally/DAL--46.8%--37.1%--91.4%

I'm not surprised to see a Samuelson on the list! :)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I wasn't sure what Laney's role was last season. I'm even less sure this season. Maybe just a utility player, but I think Thornton is better at that than Laney is.
Laney needs to figure it out too, imo. She was really good on Friday (carrying them on offense when no one else could score), but I didn't like her shot selection today [she tried to create too much 1-on-1].

She is by far NY's best perimeter defender, and frequently guards the other team's best player [though they had her more on Mabrey than Copper this game]. I believe at end of the game in Chicago, Brondello had both Laney and Thornton on court together, and with Stewart in the post, that's a very good defensive unit. But NY is definitely still looking for their identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom