With No FB This Year, Does Basketball Get A Bigger Budget For 20/21? | The Boneyard

With No FB This Year, Does Basketball Get A Bigger Budget For 20/21?

Reaction Score
IMO (and excuse me if I'm off on this),
Nevertheless, I see this year is a dress rehearsal for life without football.
Benedict would be foolish not to pour more money into basketball this year to see how the team responds. This isn't the Big East of old. The other schools spend more on basketball because its the sole focus of their entire budget. It stands to reason UConn needs to dip the toe in the water and use some of the saved money from football to mens basketball. In the old league, the football schools were at an advantage because of the huge disparity in budgets. That dynamic is reversed now.
I'd like to see more perks assigned to basketball.

Reaction Score
The football cancelation makes me nervous about the chances having a basketball season. In UConn’s announcement, they really only mentioned Covid and the recommendations of Health experts and did not mention scheduling problems. So right now Covid positive test rates in the state are 1% or lower. If the rate is even 2% by basketball season, it could be seen as hypocritical to have a season. Mike Anthony probably already has the article drafted.

Reaction Score
Less likely all around. Not only because the school is in a huge deficit because of Covid, but because the costs of football are all sunk costs. Coaches pay, staff pay, academic support.

Savings are on travel. I'm not sure about the stadium rental but UConn comes out way ahead of most schools when it comes to debt service.

There's a really big incentive for some schools to have a season, and it's not just the potential loss of TV money. Many schools pay out over $25m a year on debt for stadiums and facilities. Where are they going to get the money for that?

Reaction Score
The football cancelation makes me nervous about the chances having a basketball season. In UConn’s announcement, they really only mentioned Covid and the recommendations of Health experts and did not mention scheduling problems. So right now Covid positive test rates in the state are 1% or lower. If the rate is even 2% by basketball season, it could be seen as hypocritical to have a season. Mike Anthony probably already has the article drafted.

I saw DB made some comments about how they wouldn't be able to play the type of schedule they wanted.

Also its not just about covid in the state but other states as well. If the overall country is in better shape come basketball season it will be more justifiable to play basketball.

Reaction Score
The FB team had no one to play as conf only is what schools are doing. It’s PR to say it’s because of COVID-19, rather than we have no one to play so we r canceling

Reaction Score
The FB team had no one to play as conf only is what schools are doing. It’s PR to say it’s because of COVID-19, rather than we have no one to play so we r canceling

We say that BUT twitter is full of schools with full schedules about to announce canceled seasons. It's going to happen this week. The schedule makes it even more obvious for UConn, but it's not to say it wouldn't have happened anyway

Reaction Score

well he just wrote the article even sooner than I thought he would.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom