Men - Wins needed for 2022 NCAA At Large Bid | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Men Wins needed for 2022 NCAA At Large Bid

Reaction Score
FIVE Big East teams made the college cup this year.
Northeast is known as one of the soccer hotbeds in the U.S.; not so for baseball, which makes Penders’ dynasty all the more impressive. In baseball, cold weather schools are looked down on and have a chip on their shoulder. UConn consistently proves the haters wrong, it’s beautiful.

Reaction Score
Except that it has been a 1-bid league since its inception, except 1 year. Dream what you will, but only UConn among the NEWBIE members tries to be a major program in sports other than men’s basketball. It isn’t 1985 and more. Craig Biggio and Mo Vaughn aren’t playing for the Hall and Viola isn’t on the hill in the Bronx.
Viola never was on the hill in the Bronx. St. Johns is located in Queens. With the possible exception of Butler every other baseball playing team in the Big East has the potential to be pretty good.

St. John's and Seton Hall have had solid baseball programs for many years even when players like Biggio, Vaughn, and Viola were not on their teams. The hope is that these teams could rebound from their recent depths, and become solid teams again that won't hurt you in the RPI. Georgetown and Villanova have long been among the doormats of the Big East for many years, but they have shown some improvement in the last year or two, hopefully they can keep it up. Both teams certainly battled UConn this past season, we'll see if they continue to do so. It is hoped that if these teams rebound and/or continue to show improvement, that Big East baseball in the future may contend for for future at large bids in the NCAA baseball tournament. Chris Jones is very much a straight shooter in my opinion, and he has expressed this hope during game broadcasts this season. I'm inclined to agree with him, we'll see what happens. As mentioned before, the one Big East school that doesn't seem to be making any effort to improve their baseball situation is Butler, which is definitely looking like a team that is going to dwell in the depths of the Big East baseball standings from year to year. Hopefully Butler will become the only Big East baseball team that consistently has an RPI in the sub 200 range as the other schools try to make progress in baseball.

Reaction Score

-> The NCAA Selection Committee announced the sixteen host sites for next week’s NCAA regional tournaments.

Auburn, AL (Auburn)
Austin, TX (Texas)
Blacksburg, VA (Virginia Tech)
Chapel Hill, NC (North Carolina)
College Park, MD (Maryland)
College Station, TX (Texas A&M)
Coral Gables, FL (Miami)
Corvallis, OR (Oregon State)
Gainesville, FL (Florida)
Greenville, NC (East Carolina)
Hattiesburg, MS (Southern Miss)
Knoxville, TN (Tennessee)
Louisville, KY (Louisville)
Stanford, CA (Stanford)
Statesboro, GA (Georgia Southern)
Stillwater, OK (Oklahoma State)

Each of these teams will host three other clubs in a double-elimination format. The complete field will be announced on ESPN2 Monday at noon, ET. <-

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We know from recent years that we can beat Southern Miss, ECU, and Louisville away from home. For that reason, I'd like one of those 3 teams, although I would settle for Miami (very beatable and inconsistent).

Would like to avoid Tennessee and Oregon State. Georgia Southern isn't a dream matchup, either; that team is legit.

Reaction Score
Northeast is known as one of the soccer hotbeds in the U.S.; not so for baseball, which makes Penders’ dynasty all the more impressive. In baseball, cold weather schools are looked down on and have a chip on their shoulder. UConn consistently proves the haters wrong, it’s beautiful.
I don’t think that’s true any more. Things have really changed in the Northeast with player development as there are now many indoor practice facilities as well as turf fields, baseball tournament complexes, baseball showcases, club teams, etc. And, college coaches have noticed. In the class of 2022, New England plus New York has 25 Big East commits, 23 ACC commits, 8 Big 10 commits, 8 SEC commits, 7 AAC commits, 3 Big 12 commits, and 1 PAC 12 commits. And 10 kids committed to Northeastern.

if you had to rank the top college baseball programs in New England/New York right now, it is 1. UConn, 2. Northeastern, and 3. BC. UConn has had great success as has Northeastern getting into the NCAA tournament and BC just doesn’t have a chance competing in the ACC as they have never had a winning conference record in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I don’t think that’s true any more. Things have really changed in the Northeast with player development as there are now many indoor practice facilities as well as turf fields, baseball tournament complexes, baseball showcases, club teams, etc. And, college coaches have noticed. In the class of 2022, New England plus New York has 25 Big East commits, 23 ACC commits, 8 Big 10 commits, 8 SEC commits, 7 AAC commits, 3 Big 12 commits, and 1 PAC 12 commits. And 10 kids committed to Northeastern.

if you had to rank the top college baseball programs in New England/New York right now, it is 1. UConn, 2. Northeastern, and 3. BC. UConn has had great success as has Northeastern getting into the NCAA tournament and BC just doesn’t have a chance competing in the ACC as they have never had a winning conference record in the ACC.

Another school that should be considered for one of the top baseball programs in New England is Bryant. They have a solidly consistent baseball program over a number of years. This year they had a bad start, but they still ended up with an RPI of 103. Today they lost the NEC championship game to LIU after beating LIU in the first game today.

Over the years Rhode Island has also had a very solid baseball program, but this season they really fell off the tracks and had a pretty bad season, due partly to injuries. Hopefully they can get started on the comeback trail next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I suspect Coach Penders would disagree. He has said a number of times over the years that if UConn could keep the top baseball player recruits in the state, he would have a terrific team capable of making it to Omaha.

Reaction Score
Any predictions as to which regional we end in?
New predictions just posted to D1baseball and Baseball America. D1baseball has us going to Corvallis, BA to Coral Gables.

Attachments

• F2967B6A-3DC0-4C66-B8EE-7C6040D6D621.jpeg
    F2967B6A-3DC0-4C66-B8EE-7C6040D6D621.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 173
  • C2D5E8E6-1DD4-495E-8C50-0CBD33423BE7.jpeg
    C2D5E8E6-1DD4-495E-8C50-0CBD33423BE7.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 167
Reaction Score
Another school that should be considered for one of the top baseball programs in New England is Bryant. They have a solidly consistent baseball program over a number of years. This year they had a bad start, but they still ended up with an RPI of 103. Today they lost the NEC championship game to LIU after beating LIU in the first game today.

Over the years Rhode Island has also had a very solid baseball program, but this season they really fell off the tracks and had a pretty bad season, due partly to injuries. Hopefully they can get started on the comeback trail next season.
Will be interesting to see if new(ish) staff at Bryant can replicate what previous staff had done. But yes they do have a history of, like uconn, getting the less heralded grinders and making them into quite a formidable roster…

Reaction Score
We were on a tour of Alcatraz as we were winning the BE Tournament. Very happy with both the tour and championship. Even though I enjoy updating the chart for a possible At Large bid, I am overjoyed that we have an automatic bid. Hoping for the Stanford regional because I may be able to catch a game.

Good job by this board with keeping everyone updated on this very enjoyable season. Let’s hope it continues all the way to Omaha.

Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
We were on a tour of Alcatraz as we were winning the BE Tournament. Very happy with both the tour and championship. Even though I enjoy updating the chart for a possible At Large bid, I am overjoyed that we have an automatic bid. Hoping for the Stanford regional because I may be able to catch a game.

Good job by this board with keeping everyone updated on this very enjoyable season. Let’s hope it continues all the way to Omaha.

Go Huskies!!!!

Alcatraz and the Big East Baseball Tournament, an interesting combination to say the least.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Go Huskies!!!!
Alcatraz is impressive, isn’t it? It’s different actually seeing it than just seeing pictures.

Reaction Score
All of the projections I’ve seen have Columbia seeded higher than us. And Michigan. Both with much lower RPIs and inferior overall seasons. Wonder why.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Was thinking of that. I am probably only person ever checking. UConn baseball score while on Alcatraz. Lol
I was thinking the same thing about being in Chisinau.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There we go - 3 seed in the College Park regional vs Wake Forest

Edit: Oops, wrong thread

Reaction Score
The committee dropped us far below what BA and D1baseball predicted, BUT I’m just glad we’re in! And relatively close to home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom