Men - Wins needed for 2022 NCAA At Large Bid | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Men Wins needed for 2022 NCAA At Large Bid

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
My GF's nephew pitches for Wake Forest, so I've been following the ACC tournament. NC State (10 seed) is positioned to steal a bid. The bid stealers are what worry me if the Huskies don't win the Big East tourney.
The Wake Forest kid (no name, but from Fairfield/Brunswick School) will hopefully pitch vs UConn. He'll only see the field mopping up in a Husky blowout :p

Reaction Score
All of the projections I’ve seen have Columbia seeded higher than us. And Michigan. Both with much lower RPIs and inferior overall seasons. Wonder why.
The NCAA selection committees don’t generally go for very strict bracketing, in that #1 overall plays #64 overall, and so on.

Only the sixteen regional hosts are technically “seeded” by the baseball committee in a strict rank; the rest are divided into “seed bands” and are moveable within those bands pretty readily. The committee has rules that they’re directed to follow such as “No intra-conference matchups possible before the Superregionals” and to try and place teams to a regional as close to them as possible, or if they think putting X team in Y bracket would be a neat matchup or whatever.

Basically it’s not really all that easy to extrapolate a ranking in the committees mind from merely what regional we were placed into. It might be close, but not precisely identical.

Reaction Score
I think it’s fair to say UConn probably doesn’t get in as an at-large. Similar to Rutgers and Rutgers got left out. Committee put an emphasis on non conference schedule, which didn’t work in UConn’s favor. Also looks like they placed in a grouping band near the bottom of the 3s, considering they are with one of the best 2s.

Reaction Score
This is a great read if you can access it… not sure how @ucjoet works the thoughts into next year’s most anticipated baseball thread:

Definitely need to rethink the chart. A lot will depend on who we are playing in OOC schedule. Also hopefully the Big East teams will be more competitive.

Let’s take care of business this weekend.

Go Huskies!!!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Alcatraz is impressive, isn’t it? It’s different actually seeing it than just seeing pictures.

I did the Alcatraz shark fest swim on June 18, 1994, still in good swimming shape after my career at UConn. 59° water. Needed 7 Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista afterwards to stop shivering.

The reason I can remember the exact date is the night before, while carbo loading at a San Francisco Italian red-sauce pasta joint, we were watching the Knicks vs Rockets NBA final (the last time I watched pro hoop). But see the end of the game. Broadcast interupted, Special News Report. OJ was headed down the 5 in a white Bronco 400 miles to the south.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Definitely need to rethink the chart. A lot will depend on who we are playing in OOC schedule. Also hopefully the Big East teams will be more competitive.

Let’s take care of business this weekend.

Go Huskies!!!
Maybe add a nonconference SOS line? It’s not a team performance item, per se, but it’s useful information.

Reaction Score
I think it’s fair to say UConn probably doesn’t get in as an at-large. Similar to Rutgers and Rutgers got left out. Committee put an emphasis on non conference schedule, which didn’t work in UConn’s favor. Also looks like they placed in a grouping band near the bottom of the 3s, considering they are with one of the best 2s.
Yup - I was worried about that possibility last week. You cannot stumble in a weak conference and you can't just play "tomato cans" OofC. The Big East bb conference is basically limited to the auto bid, unless there are big OofC wins to fall back on. Consider this, the ACC (where we should be) and the SEC have a total of 18 teams in the CWS, including 8 regional hosts.

Reaction Score
Yup - I was worried about that possibility last week. You cannot stumble in a weak conference and you can't just play "tomato cans" OofC. The Big East bb conference is basically limited to the auto bid, unless there are big OofC wins to fall back on. Consider this, the ACC (where we should be) and the SEC have a total of 18 teams in the CWS, including 8 regional hosts.
It is not surprising to me that the ACC and SEC have 18 teams in the CWS. The PAC 12 has 5 teams as does the Big 12. What is surprising is the number of multiple teams for conferences such as the Sun Belt (4) Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Louisiana and Texas State; and ASUN (2) Kennesaw St. Liberty. They must have big OofC wins.

Reaction Score
It is not surprising to me that the ACC and SEC have 18 teams in the CWS. The PAC 12 has 5 teams as does the Big 12. What is surprising is the number of multiple teams for conferences such as the Sun Belt (4) Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Louisiana and Texas State; and ASUN (2) Kennesaw St. Liberty. They must have big OofC wins.
As far as the Sun Belt is concerned, Louisiana is the only outlier. They only made it, since they got hot in the conference tournament and got the auto bid. Coastal (# 2) and Georgia Southern (# 3) had extremely high non-conference strength of schedules. The committee seemed to put alot of importance on this stat this year, so they both hit the jackpot. Texas State had some good non-conference road wins and were 7-7 against quad 1 teams. Their RPIs were Georgia Southern at 11, Coastal at 30, and Texas State at 26. It was a good year in the Sun Belt (#6 rated conference) and it's about time a mid-major conference is rewarded for having good teams. Should be even better next year with addition of Southern Mississippi.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom