OT: - Wimbledon 2019 - Gauff (15 yr old girl) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Wimbledon 2019 - Gauff (15 yr old girl)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Serena really putting the smackdown on Svitolina in the 2nd set. I like Elina's game a lot - but wasn't sure how she'd handle Serena's power.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Serena really putting the smackdown on Svitolina in the 2nd set. I like Elina's game a lot - but wasn't sure how she'd handle Serena's power.

6-3 6-1. Power is one thing but her gound strokes are so consistent and she is going for angles and redirections. Very impressed. 34 winners to 20 Unforced errors. Unless she gets illogically nervous in the finals, done deal.

Reaction Score
6-3 6-1. Power is one thing but her gound strokes are so consistent and she is going for angles and redirections. Very impressed. 34 winners to 20 Unforced errors. Unless she gets illogically nervous in the finals, done deal.

She used to be almost unstoppable if she made it to a slam final. In the last couple of years, not so much - she's been off her peak in finals, either from nerves or something else. She'll potentially be beatable in the finals, IMO. Especially if it's Andrescu who seems too young to be afraid of anything.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She used to be almost unstoppable if she made it to a slam final. In the last couple of years, not so much - she's been off her peak in finals, either from nerves or something else. She'll potentially be beatable in the finals, IMO. Especially if it's Andrescu who seems too young to be afraid of anything.

Andreescu wins. 7-6 7-5. Bencic had alot of chances and did not play poorly but Andreescu really plays the big points well. Alot of guts.

Definitely an interesting final with Williams after Serena had to pull out of the Rogers cup (Canadian) which Andreescu (Canadian) won. And Andreescu consoling Serena on the sidelines.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Andreescu wins. 7-6 7-5. Bencic had alot of chances and did not play poorly but Andreescu really plays the big points well. Alot of guts.

Definitely an interesting final with Williams after Serena had to pull out of the Rogers cup (Canadian) which Andreescu (Canadian) won. And Andreescu consoling Serena on the sidelines.
WOW... and I thought Serena was going to lose that match as well before the back spasms #Cincy Its going to be an interesting Finals

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Definitely. Lucky to nab a ticket - here's hoping I get to see Serena scoop up #24.

So Jealous. And what perfect weather conditions to enjoy the game. Enjoy and report back. :D

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Down 6-3 5-1 on Andreescu's serve, Serena has raised her game incredibly. Now on serve at 5-4. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Basically, she was so far down, she decided she is going to lose anyway, so why be nervous. Amazing. If she comes back, her best match of her career.

Reaction Score
Down 6-3 5-1 on Andreescu's serve, Serena has raised her game incredibly. Now on serve at 5-4. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Basically, she was so far down, she decided she is going to lose anyway, so why be nervous. Amazing. If she comes back, her best match of her career.
NOPE. Nadda. Serena goes down to the Canadian Andreescu. Made my day!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Was able to watch the final 2 games after the 5-5 tie on ESPN3 replay. Andreescu's service game was impressive with a few key aces but in breaking serena, she went super nova on some of those 2nd serve returns into the alleys. Pure guts.

Serena was extremely gracious in defeat. She has grown a lot in that department. Of course, she likes and respects Andreescu from the Roger Cup.

Also just heard that Serena's coach had said early in the tournament that Andreescu was the toughest competition and he expects her to be #1 in a few years.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
WOW... and I thought Serena was going to lose that match as well before the back spasms #Cincy Its going to be an interesting Finals
I thought that Serena would lose yesterday, the young lady was dusting her in the previous match (down 3-1 in the Rogers Cup) so I knew she was tough comp and she proved me right.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Coco, at age 15, is already 5'10". I don't want to compare her to anyone, but if she grows 2 or 3 more inches (which she probably will) she is going to be one helluva player.

Reaction Score
Coco, at age 15, is already 5'10". I don't want to compare her to anyone, but if she grows 2 or 3 more inches (which she probably will) she is going to be one helluva player.

Most girls have reached full height by Age 15.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tomorrow Morning (8AM, NY TIME) Coco goes for her first WTA title
Win or lose, she's on her way.

(And how about our 22-year-old 2nd baseman?)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Tomorrow Morning (8AM, NY TIME) Coco goes for her first WTA title
Win or lose, she's on her way.

(And how about our 22-year-old 2nd baseman?)

@msf22b Is the final on TV? I do not see it on Tennis Channel of see any streaming options in the US?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
@msf22b Is the final on TV? I do not see it on Tennis Channel of see any streaming options in the US?

Good news. It is playing now on Tennis Channel. :D

She is going up against Ostapenko who has had a real bad time after hr 2017 miracle year.

Coco up 2-0 in set 1

Edit: Coco wins in 3 sets 6-3, 1-6, 6-2.

Coco played a very defensive style which made sense since Ostapenko has become a very inconsistent player. Sad to see. Did not know Bartoli is her coach. hmm.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Congrats to Coco! What a bright young future ahead! And I love when a lucky loser wins the whole tournament - it really shows you how temperamental tennis as a sport can be; any given match, any given opponent, any given day, a player can bring their A game or their C game and there's almost no rhyme nor reason as to why it's sometimes one and sometimes the other.

With the win, Coco shoots up into the top 100 and is now ranked #71 in the world despite playing in only her fifth WTA international level tournament this year. (All of her other matches have been on the lower-tier ITF circuit.)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Congrats to Coco! What a bright young future ahead! And I love when a lucky loser wins the whole tournament - it really shows you how temperamental tennis as a sport can be; any given match, any given opponent, any given day, a player can bring their A game or their C game and there's almost no rhyme nor reason as to why it's sometimes one and sometimes the other.

With the win, Coco shoots up into the top 100 and is now ranked #71 in the world despite playing in only her fifth WTA international level tournament this year. (All of her other matches have been on the lower-tier ITF circuit.)

A little more detail

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Sorry I missed your query, but happy you found it, as did I.
I'm recovering from major heart surgery and am in and out.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sorry I missed your query, but happy you found it, as did I.
I'm recovering from major heart surgery and am in and out.

The Linz final was not part of the original listing but I wonder if they added it due to Coco?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom