Wilner (SJ Mercury News) - USC and UCLA planning to leave for B1G | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Wilner (SJ Mercury News) - USC and UCLA planning to leave for B1G

Reaction Score
What I find strange in all of this is that USC and UCLA reached out to the Ten and not the other way around.

You can't blame them I guess.
I think it’s illegal for a conference to reach out to another conferences members regarding joining their conference. That would result in lawsuits.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So what happens next? Do all the non-Big 10 and non-SEC schools have to discontinue their athletic programs? Or do they continue?

What has been the track record of schools "upgrading" their conference affiliation in the P5?

Reaction Score
So what happens next? Do all the non-Big 10 and non-SEC schools have to discontinue their athletic programs? Or do they continue?
Through all of the chaos over the last 11 years has a single school ended its football program or dropped down to FCS? I can't think of any.

Several schools have upgraded to D1 status and that trend continues. If the SEC and B1G breakaway from everyone I think the leftovers will form their own league and champion. It will be like the days of the NFL and the AFL in the 60's.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Zoo and other legal experts know with certainty about Grants of Rights, but no one seems to know what happens to all the other schools that are not SEC or Big 10.

Reaction Score
Here are the sports teams sponsored by the Big Ten in which USC and UCLA do not sponsor as well as the sports teams USC and UCLA sponsor that the Big Ten does not (noted with a +):

USC Men’s

Cross Country

Gymnastics

Ice Hockey

Lacrosse

Soccer

Wrestling

+Volleyball

+Water Polo

USC Women’s

Field Hockey

Gymnastics

Softball

+Beach Volleyball

+Water Polo

UCLA Men’s

Gymnastics

Ice Hockey

Lacrosse

Swimming & Diving

Wrestling

+Volleyball

+Water Polo

UCLA Women’s

Field Hockey

Lacrosse

+Beach Volleyball

+Water Polo

Reaction Score
The Big Ten does not sponsor Men’s Volleyball, Men’s Water Polo, Women’s Beach Volleyball or Women’s Water Polo.

I’m surprised USC does not sponsor Softball.

Neither school sponsors Wrestling. Is it not popular out west?

Field Hockey and Lacrosse are mostly eastern sports, so that’s understandable neither school sponsors those sports. Ice Hockey is mostly a cold weather college sport.

I wonder if any sports will be added by these schools?

Reaction Score
Here are the sports teams sponsored by the Big Ten in which USC and UCLA do not sponsor as well as the sports teams USC and UCLA sponsor that the Big Ten does not (noted with a +):

USC Men’s

Cross Country

Gymnastics

Ice Hockey

Lacrosse

Soccer

Wrestling

+Volleyball

+Water Polo

USC Women’s

Field Hockey

Gymnastics

Softball

+Beach Volleyball

+Water Polo

UCLA Men’s

Gymnastics

Ice Hockey

Lacrosse

Swimming & Diving

Wrestling

+Volleyball

+Water Polo

UCLA Women’s

Field Hockey

Lacrosse

+Beach Volleyball

+Water Polo

The Big Ten does not sponsor Men’s Volleyball, Men’s Water Polo, Women’s Beach Volleyball or Women’s Water Polo.

Field Hockey and Lacrosse are mostly eastern sports, so that’s understandable neither school sponsors those sports. Ice Hockey is mostly a cold weather college sport.

Olympic Sports:

Hockey

Last edited:
Reaction Score

What has been the track record of schools "upgrading" their conference affiliation in the P5?
University of Idaho dropped down to FCS status
Sorry, meant to respond to metfans?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do USC and UCLA carry the entire State of California market? Does the Big Ten get Northern California with just these two schools? Would San Francisco/Oakland be a Big Ten Market now even without Stanford or Cal?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

USC Men’s

Cross Country

Gymnastics

Ice Hockey

Lacrosse

Soccer

Wrestling

+Volleyball

+Water Polo

USC Women’s

Field Hockey

Gymnastics

Softball

+Beach Volleyball

+Water Polo

UCLA Men’s

Gymnastics

Ice Hockey

Lacrosse

Swimming & Diving

Wrestling

+Volleyball

+Water Polo

UCLA Women’s

Field Hockey

Lacrosse

+Beach Volleyball

+Water Polo

I read an article on Yahoo, sorry for lack of link, where they stated that Olympic sports should regionalize because this travel for some of these conferences ahem B1G ahem is insane and not logical. It would make sense. The BE, ACC, SEC, Pac 12, Big 12 make sense. The AAC and B1G do not. It only seems logical to do this for Olympic sports. Wanna travel for BBall and Football, fine? Lesser Olympic sports, not sure.

Interesting idea.

Reaction Score
Just so we are clear, I am rooting for you. I hope that, rather than Clemson having to be stuck in their GoR, instead it goes to court and BCU has to pay $10 billion to someone. I don't see how that happens, but I am on board.

And I agree. It will become a minor league and less and less people will care. They are killing the golden goose.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I believe at least Clemson, FSU and UNC will have an out. Why? This is about markets and matchups. The Michigan-OSU game had just under 16 million viewers. Alabama and Auburn had just under 11 million. The UM- MSU game clocked in at just under 10 million. Any of these high level matchups draw big numbers. These matchups transcend regionality. Now add large, new markets and the numbers will go up. Clemson and FSU add too much to the pie to leave behind.

College football has become boring. It’s the same few schools with the others very little chance to make it. The top games some weeks were just poor. In week 5, the top game was ND/Wisconsin with WVU/OK 2nd. Hell, Mich/Rutgers was 5th. After ND played Wisky at noon, what national game was left (I’m not sure Wisky/ND is even a National game). The 2 super conferences might just change that. Adding FSU and Clemson to the SEC would help the schedules giving better games/ratings.

Reaction Score
Do USC and UCLA carry the entire State of California market? Does the Big Ten get Northern California with just these two schools? Would San Francisco/Oakland be a Big Ten Market now even without Stanford or Cal?
No, they do not bring the entire state, which tells us that the B1G isn’t done.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
LOL… it’s about the exposure:

Exposure will play a large role.

I Imagine that Nike would be happy to assist in adding funding to NIL deals if Oregon is part of a coast to coast athletic conference. The value that a school brings to a conference will include non-traditional media in many cases.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom